dibs

Idle Tongues (food before your mind goes elsewhere)

When it's done it should rise to the edge of (if not over) the pan and be a goldeny-brown pancake colour. Most Swedes will serve it with lingonberry jam (if your country is cruelly lacking in lingonberry goodness you might find some at IKEA) but some like sweeter jam, honey or fresh berries.

OMNOMNOM

phpdygyus_139626018.jpg

My school always served it with strawberry jam... Never heard of anyone using lingonberry before. Might be nice though.

Edit: Anyone know any nice (ovo-lacto) vegetarian recipes? Completely stumped and insanely bored with the stuff I'm eating atm.

Make sure you rinse the quinoa! Another nice thing about that salad is that the kale stands up to the dressing without wilting. I often make a big batch to have with dinner and have it for lunch the next day.

Does ovi-lacro mean you eat eggs and dairy or you don't?

Edit: and what are you eating at the moment so I can be sure to suggest something different!

I didn't think to take a photo, but an item made last night that was delicious was a polenta and sausage casserole:

- Simmer together some sliced red onion, red bell pepper, and sliced mushrooms 'til they're nice and soft.

- Add garlic, fresh thyme, and bulk italian sausage (break up the sausage with the spoon)

- Also add some diced tomatoes (I used canned because it's what I had around, but fresh would be nice)

- Simmer it down until it's nice and thick

- In the meantime, make some polenta (about .5 cups of cornmeal, plus the appropriate amount of water/milk (at a 50/50 ratio) to get a spreadable polenta - I think it was about 5-6 cups total)

- When the polenta is about done, add a little butter and some shredded cheese (I used smoked fontina)

- Spread the polenta in a baking dish, and then spread the sausage mixture over it

- Sprinkle some grated cheese (I used Asiago) over the top

- Bake 'til it's bubbling and the cheese is nice and melted

Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat eggs and dairy.

Just a note that I'm not a full-on vegetarian though, just eat mostly vegetarian food.

At the moment I'm not eating anything. It's more that I've gotten into a rut of just cooking the same 4-5 meals over and over again.

The current staples are a vegetarian lasagna with zucchini and eggplant, Chili sin carne, pasta with tomato pesto and pea soup with pancakes.

While all of these are really nice, you do get tired of them after a while.

That sounds real good tobacco. Does the polenta get gooey or is it more of a solid mass with the stew seeping into it?

Mupp, when I'm feeling vegetarian there are a few things I really like. Some of these are more lunch time than dinner, but you can improvise:

- Dhal or chana masala (chick pea curry). I get my spice mixes from a company in Cork here in Ireland. They are insanely good. If you can't get good ready made mix, then get some garam masala and some other spices you like (coriander and cumin for me) and make it spiced as you like. Add some riata on the side (yoghurt with diced cucumber and fresh mint or coriander added, with a little salt and garam masala) and some lime to squeeze over. Coriander on top.

- rice vermicelli with sugar snap peas, sliced pepper, spring onion and a sauce made from peanut butter, soy, grated ginger and garlic and a little chilli heated together.

- oven roasted pitta crisps with guacamole, hummus and some salad leaves.

- something like I have above with a little chorizo for flavour, or paprika and chilli powder if not. Roast up your chick peas or some beans with peppers, onions, whole garlic if you like and some lemon.

- good cheese on good crackers with some good relish or chutney with some tart apple and some salad (marks and Spenser have the best crackers if you are in Britain).

- fried rice: leftover rice fried up with toasted cashews, corn, *********, soy and tipped with a runny fried egg and some chilli sauce. (Crass as hell, but everyone loves it!

- my best stirfry is red pepper, toasted cashews, tons of ginger all stir fried with a star anise or two. Then add soy, Chinese cooking wine, Chinese black vinegar, some sugar and black pepper and down chilli sauce. Add in bean sprouts and Chinese greens to steam while the sauce reduces. When the veg are nearly done add some cornflower mixed with a little COLD water and boil in the sauce to thicken everything. I like everything in this really crunchy so I don't cook it for very long at all.

- the above with some chillie bean paste is a very pungent change of flavour.

There was something else I make a lot but its late and I can't remember.

I like food. Nom nom.

Semi-recent food in my vegetarian casa that might inspire someone, idk:

- Roast beetroot, rhubarb and small potato salad with feta and watercress (or spinach or other green to taste)

- mexican-inspired casserole: layer of crushed nacho chips, layer of kidney bean/tomato/leek/mushroom/chili sauce cooked separately, layer of sour cream, layer of cheese, bung in the oven

- black bean burgers served on buns with cheese, pickle, roast paprika, with rosemary/thyme fried potatoes on the side

- pasta with siracusani-inspired sauce made from 3 or 4 paprikas of various colour, wine base, black olives and some tomatoes and capers

- mahasha

I cook for a living, and I'd definitely say that I do my best gaming when I've had a filling tasty snack.

Just yesterday I made myself an asian style shrimp po'boy. I'll go ahead and post the recipe below, It's a really quick recipe so long as you have the coleslaw ready.

1/2# good sized prawns

Flour

Egg (beaten with S&P)

Panko

A nice crusty sub roll

Mayo

Lemon

Coleslaw:

Bit of beansprouts

Finely shredded green cabbage and red bell peppers

Matchstick carrots

Slivered ginger

Fine chopped green onions

1/2 clove garlic minced

Bit of soy, rice wine vinegar and mirin as a marinade

S&P

Directions:

Go ahead and get all your veggies for the coleslaw prepped and mix them with enough liquid to have a good coating on all the ingredients with a little bit  pooling at the bottom of the bowl you mixed it in. Set that in the fridge for an hour or so. The next step is breading the prawns with the egg, flour and panko. Use the standard breading method - a light coating of flour, then a dip in the egg and finish with the panko - set the prawns on a greased baking sheet (or deep fry them if you're willing to make a mess, I can't do that in my apartment, the smoke alarm would freak out lol) and toss them in the oven.

Finally just toast your bread, add some mayo and hot sauce, drizzle some lemon over the prawns on the roll and top with your slaw.

I was really surprised how well it turned out, I'd never considered doing an asian style po'boy before that.

I love the name of po'boys.

Anyone for a good raita recipe that has neither cucumber nor mint in it?

God, I've been making so many burgers recently. For some reason I've always put off the idea of just going ahead and learning how to fry a burger. Now I realise it's the easiest thing ever I've been going crazy with gourmet burgers (or when lazy just using some flatbread, fine beef, dairylea slices, and sweet chilli sauce).

Next time you're frying up some gourmet burgers buy yourself a wedge of Cambozola. It's like dairylea for adults :)

Cheddar? Nope

Applewood smoked? No thanks

Mexicana? So 2010

2013 is the year of the blue cheese and a splash of sweet chilli. Trust me. Heavenly

Hah, I was intrigued until I saw it's blue. ;( I just cannot bring myself to eat them, also I'm allergic to penicillin which could cause me to react badly to the bacteria they use in the cheese.

But I do admittedly need to try more interesting cheeses in my burgers. All I've done so far is use pretty generic grated cheeses.

I got some manchego last week. It is amazing. Nom. Never could stomach blues I'm afraid.

I watched my friend eat Easy Singles this morning while his partner and I wept inside.

I'm girlfriend came in moments later and polished off the rest of the nachos sans salsa. What an absolute monster!

This evening I have been mostly eating haribo marshmallows, bloody lovely

I could use a good Risotto reciepe.

For the Super Bowl party, my wife and I made Gyoza (potstickers) by hand. Not quite from scratch, since we bought the shells pre-made, but pretty close. It turns out that the magic sauce is getting some Miso Paste to mix in with the ground pork, Nappa cabbage, green onion, garlic, and ginger.

Making banana bread tonight. Because I've got some overripe bananas.

My go-to recipe for years has been the Joy of Cooking one. Apart from a weird mixing order, it's not especially inventive, but it is bulletproof:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2520062-Banana-Bread-The-Joy-of-Cooking-?full_recipe=true

My only real change is to toast the walnuts, because what kind of monster bakes with untoasted nuts?

What kind of monster cooks with nuts at all?

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.