nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

So has anyone else heard about Penny Arcade's latest entry in their continued efforts to swallow their own collective foot? They placed a job posting on LinkedIn with some choice quotes like [ ... ]

As much as I like not liking Penny Arcade, their former tech guy has written a pretty honest sounding response on the PA forums about the reality of the job: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185114/about-the-penny-arcade-job-posting

But this comment on the job-posting is still pretty valid regardless: http://cwbuecheler.tumblr.com/post/68163195864/on-penny-arcade-exploitation-and-the-myth-of-the

I just watched The Fifth Element (again). Must find Moebius comics... and by that I mean his scifi/fantasy stuff, not Blueberry. This will probably be challenging, and maybe even expensive.

Talking about Moebius... there's also Jean-Claude Mézières.

Steve Gaynor's twitter seems to indicate that he discovered a copy of Atom Cat somewhere.

XSVMNTb.png

I secretly hope he bought it, because it's one of Tezuka's more insane releases.

Yo, I wanna get back into comics and graphic novels. What do all of you guys suggest nowadays? I'll take anything, specially if it's like Gaiman's Sandman series, A Contract from God, Watchmen, Maus, and Persepolis. 

Yo, I wanna get back into comics and graphic novels. What do all of you guys suggest nowadays? I'll take anything, specially if it's like Gaiman's Sandman series, A Contract from God, Watchmen, Maus, and Persepolis. 

Bit of a interesting mix there, so let's try and pick one equivalent for each so:

Sandman : Promethea

A Contract with God : Blankets

Watchmen : The Boys

Maus : Palestine

Persepolis : Dotter of Her Fathers Eyes

Oh and Love and Rockets, because it's gawd darn awesome

Damn, I wish I had gotten a recommendation for Love and Rocket sooner, it was just on sale last week.

Speaking of sales, I took advantage of the Black Monday deal they had at Comixology and.... finally found a comic I couldn't finish.

It's called Fathom an underwater sci-fi fantasy thingie and it bored the hell out of me. It was about a girl raised by humans that's really from some underwater race, which she returns to and that's about when I got bored.

Many characters talk like this or some other color combination that is hard to read, I couldn't really tell many character apart, I don't even know if there is more than one female main protagonist or if there are different males of whatever they called her species. Nothing really grabbed my attention... It felt like a mediocre Syfy movie.

I guess I should stick to very VERY good comics, or very VERY cheesy and "stupid" comics. 

Are you only looking for current ("nowadays") comics? Because otherwise we have a few threads recommending the classics...

Are you only looking for current ("nowadays") comics? Because otherwise we have a few threads recommending the classics...

Anything really. I'm already eyeing everybody else's recommendations. I heard great things about Asterios Polyp, so I'll try to pick up that one first. And Love and Rockets sounds fucking awesome! I'm happy to see a popular comic book series about Latino/Hispanic people by Latino/Hispanic people. Also, this quote from Wikipedia:

Its vibrant characters and sometimes-fantastic events are sometimes compared to the magical realism literary style of authors such as Gabriel García Márquez

That sold me instantly.

Also, I don't know any comic book places around in Chicago, so any online recommendations where I can buy comics/graphic novels? Other than Amazon of course.

Just a quick side note about Love and Rockets:

The writing style of Jamie and Gilbert are really are very different, so given the fact the description you mentioned liking above was describing the Palomar series, the First Volume of the collected series you should think about picking up would be Heartbreak Soup.

Since we don't have Kickstarter thread for comics yet... here is a Kickstarter for "The Whole Story 2014". It's a bit more ambitious than last year's and it's looking more interesting, but it might not reach it's goal, which would be heart breaking.  ;(

Damn, I wish I had gotten a recommendation for Love and Rocket sooner, it was just on sale last week.

Speaking of sales, I took advantage of the Black Monday deal they had at Comixology and.... finally found a comic I couldn't finish.

It's called Fathom an underwater sci-fi fantasy thingie and it bored the hell out of me. It was about a girl raised by humans that's really from some underwater race, which she returns to and that's about when I got bored.

Many characters talk like this or some other color combination that is hard to read, I couldn't really tell many character apart, I don't even know if there is more than one female main protagonist or if there are different males of whatever they called her species. Nothing really grabbed my attention... It felt like a mediocre Syfy movie.

I guess I should stick to very VERY good comics, or very VERY cheesy and "stupid" comics. 

That series looks so bad from the fan service covers alone. Also check out Hawkeye, Captain Marvel and the Youngs Avengers from Marvel, any image/vertigo series that launched in the last 12-24 months (they aren't all great but it more hit than miss). Also MGMT from Darkhorse

I just watched The Fifth Element (again). Must find Moebius comics... and by that I mean his scifi/fantasy stuff, not Blueberry. This will probably be challenging, and maybe even expensive.

Talking about Moebius... there's also Jean-Claude Mézières.

I got the -rereleased copy of the Incal (which was really good and reminded me of Tablot's Luther Arkwright) and am considering learning French after visiting a bookstore in Brussels and seeing how much stuff that never gets released in English.

My girlfriend just bought me the whole set of Scott Piligrim books because i loved the movie so much.

Also I about to finish the third chapter in the Starwars Crimson empire series and its been great so far! :)

My girlfriend just bought me the whole set of Scott Piligrim books because i loved the movie so much.

Black and white or colour? I have mostly first editions of the black and white printing but the nice big hardcovers they're doing for the colour version are pretty swank.

I highly recommend this rare Scott Pilgrim floppy if you manage to find it cheap somewhere. I bought it back when Oni Press still sold it on their website and it goes for a lot on eBay now, but there's probably scans out there if it comes down to it. It's very light on content, but it has a short story integral to the foreshadowing of Evil Ex #4 (a twist that I totally called at the time).

I have all the black and white too, but I'm considering giving them away as a gift for Christmas so I can buy the colour ones.

That said, I kind of like the way the black and white makes it just feel like a normal manga book.  Except Canadian.

Black and white or colour? I have mostly first editions of the black and white printing but the nice big hardcovers they're doing for the colour version are pretty swank.

I have all the black and white too, but I'm considering giving them away as a gift for Christmas so I can buy the colour ones.

That said, I kind of like the way the black and white makes it just feel like a normal manga book.  Except Canadian.

I kinda like the black-and-white ones better? He's redoing a lot of the art and I'm not convinced that all his efforts to go back and "fix" stuff are a wholesale improvement.

I definitely prefer the black and white look, but I like the oversized hardcover treatment that the colour volumes are getting a lot too.

Also, the Scott Pilgrim colour editions are at the very least much better than the Bone colour editions.

I've never seen their digital equivalents, but I find the print editions look really dull and washed-out in a way that's totally inappropriate for the tone of those books.

Black and white, just finished star wars lastnight, so I will be starting the first book when I am free this week, cant wait! :)

Speaking of Black and White, Batman:Black and White is great. It's a collection of a bunch of short (8 pages) stories done by people like Bruce Timm, Neil Gaiman, Archie Goodwin, and other great people. The styles are all so different so it's a super cool mishmash. The first issue is probably my favorite, and of the stories in it the Bruce Timm one is probably my top pick.

Edit: just to make sure, everything is in black and white.