Sign in to follow this  
Orv

You Bloody Idiots OR A Tale of M$

But hiding features and having to know the secret handshake to execute them is in my mind pretty much the opposite of good design. Apple, while most of the time user-friendly, can be especially guilty of that. Though it seems to be working out for them just fine.

Yeah there are some weird tricks to using iOS devices that I had to find out about online before I was able to use my phone more efficiently. It's kind of bizarre, and I'm still suspicious that there are things I don't know about.

The problem with Vista was mostly internally to the OS.

Hmmm. The problem with Vista was that manufacturers didn't get any new drivers ready in time for its release, despite ample warning from MS that it was coming.

Tangent: A lot of people moan about how terrible Vista was, but sing the praises of Windows 7... without realizing that Windows 7 IS Vista, with a few tweaks.

Consider the Windows versions:

wversno.jpg

Windows Vista is to Windows 7 what Windows 95 was to Windows 98.

A complete interface overhaul is fine by me. I've never been a fan of the START button myself.

But hiding features and having to know the secret handshake to execute them is in my mind pretty much the opposite of good design. Apple, while most of the time user-friendly, can be especially guilty of that. Though it seems to be working out for them just fine.

It's different with Apple. Any common feature* always has two was to execute it: the obvious here's-a-massive-button-with-a-clear-title method, and the obscure flick-here-while-swiping-there method.

The problem with Win8 is that in many cases they forgo the first method entirely.

(* of course, "power features" are a different problem altogether)

Don't MS operating systems generally alternate between being good and bad? 2000 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad...

Using this brilliant line of deduction, I say "Wait to get the game on the next OS." You'll probably get it in a $5 Steam sale or something too.

Don't MS operating systems generally alternate between being good and bad? 2000 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad...

Not really. It's mostly accepted or rejected, and only sometimes bad. It's rarely good.

Win95 : good

Win95 OSR2: accepted

Win98 : not sure but I think it was rejected

Win98 SE : accepted

WinMe : bad (shitty drivers, shitty stability)

XP : accepted

Vista : rejected (borderline bad due to initial release issues, i.e. bad drivers)

7 : accepted

Windows 2000 was the NT/corporate line which is generally accepted.

XP is based on the NT line.

erm... why did that turn into smilies? it's just the semi-colon :

I KNOW I HATE IT TOO ):

It's a colon. No need to cry about it. But seriously... it's fucking annoying! : : : : :

Oops, you're right. I wasn't really awake, and shocked about the emoticons.

Tangent: A lot of people moan about how terrible Vista was, but sing the praises of Windows 7... without realizing that Windows 7 IS Vista, with a few tweaks.

Just goes to show how much of it is UX. A bunch of people I know bought laptops with Vista on. I found it a nightmare to work with when helping them on stuff, none of them liked it, and most of them wiped it and installed XP within six months. Win 7 is a very different experience. I like it because it's the first version of Windows I've installed that hasn't incessantly nagged me about this that or the other.

Just goes to show how much of it is UX. A bunch of people I know bought laptops with Vista on. I found it a nightmare to work with when helping them on stuff, none of them liked it, and most of them wiped it and installed XP within six months. Win 7 is a very different experience. I like it because it's the first version of Windows I've installed that hasn't incessantly nagged me about this that or the other.

I found the experience to be almost identical. Certainly an improvement over XP. I'm baffled how people could hate Vista and love Windows 7. Oh well.

I vaguely remember Vista being pretty awful in the beginning prior to all the patching, and it wasn't helped at all by poor software/hardware compatability. I recall Windows XP running games much faster too which is why I stuck with it. Windows 7 was more of a quiet relaunch in comparison.

I found the experience to be almost identical. Certainly an improvement over XP. I'm baffled how people could hate Vista and love Windows 7. Oh well.

UAC.

I never had a problem with Vista. In fact, despite having a copy of W7 since launch I only got around to installing it this past January because I didn't care enough to go through the effort (I always reformat my PC and do clean installs when upgrading the OS).

UAC.

Which is still present in 7, and could be turned off if you really hated it that much.

Yes, but it's toned down big time. People generally don't tinker with settings, especially in Control Panel. I obviously turned it off, but the majority of people wouldn't, despite the annoyance.