Sign in to follow this  
Orv

You Bloody Idiots OR A Tale of M$

So this game will be DOA.

Windows 8 is really terrible.

I still find Windows 7 positively luxurious, especially since I have to use XP at work.

Yeah I've heard utterly horrendous things about Windows 8. "Yay."

While it is bad news, I have a knee-jerk negative reaction to the continued use of "M$" in this day and age.

While it is bad news, I have a knee-jerk negative reaction to the continued use of "M$" in this day and age.

Trust me, this is the only time I have ever or will ever use it. It just seemed actually applicable in this situation, since I assumed Microsoft either said "Windows 8 or you don't get on XBLA" or they shoved piles of money down their throats.

So Windows 8 is already terrible? And here I was thinking we should wait until it's actually out before making any judgements about it.

I love Windows 7, btw. I presume Windows 8 can't be THAT different.

I kindof dig the interface. It is very brave for MS. I suspect we'll see a class action lawsuit mounted by all their legacy business clients, what with their contractual obligation to keep all software looking like it came out of 1995.

Some commentators are calling it the next Vista. As in, businesses won't buy it because the GUI is frivolous for everything but tablet related faffery. If that happens, I guess Windows 9 will be totally awesome?

Yeah, I can see how it's not an essential upgrade for a company. Vista was a worthy upgrade, IMO (and unfairly maligned), but I can understand a company's reluctance. The only time a typical company upgrades their OS is when they get new machines.

Holy shit I hate these forums so much.

Why? What did we do wrong?

It will be on the suckbox 360

Sorry, it's actually crapbox-exclusive.

Why? What did we do wrong?

I mean the forums themselves. url= doesn't work anymore, mainly.

Wait, so there will be things that work on Windows 8 but aren't compatible with 7? That doesn't make any sense, as outside of portable devices W8 doesn't really have a draw over Windows 7 since aside from a few things and the Metro UI it's almost the same.

Wait, so there will be things that work on Windows 8 but aren't compatible with 7? That doesn't make any sense, as outside of portable devices W8 doesn't really have a draw over Windows 7 since aside from a few things and the Metro UI it's almost the same.

Hence my utter confusion/hatred/despair over the entire affair.

I love Windows 7, btw. I presume Windows 8 can't be THAT different.

Windows 7 is amazing. The thing that I've heard is that Windows 8 (in the non-tablet mode) actually loses functionality when compared to Windows 7. Granted, these are early impressions, so who really knows.

What I really know is that, as of yet, I don't like the new interface they're trying to promote. Maybe I'll get used to it. But I don't think it'd be good for a normal desktop set up. Great for tablets, though! Too bad I don't have one.

The problem with Vista was mostly internally to the OS. But with Windows 8 Microsoft is going to change a shit load to the user interface. The Metro interface will be leading, even on desktops. The Metro interface is currently used on Windows Phone 7, and it's focused towards touch based input. With Windows 8 you can switch back to the "desktop interface" which looks a bit similar to Windows 7. But, there's no Areo, no start button, huge ribbons everywhere. It will drastically change the user experience Microsoft has presented since Windows 95.

Luckily, you don't actually have to spend a lot of money to switch over to an inferior OS. You can just keep using Windows 7.

The problem with Vista was mostly internally to the OS. But with Windows 8 Microsoft is going to change a shit load to the user interface. The Metro interface will be leading, even on desktops. The Metro interface is currently used on Windows Phone 7, and it's focused towards touch based input. With Windows 8 you can switch back to the "desktop interface" which looks a bit similar to Windows 7. But, there's no Areo, no start button, huge ribbons everywhere. It will drastically change the user experience Microsoft has presented since Windows 95.

I have no problem with change. I just don't like THIS change.

I have no problem with inferface changes, if they make sense, I adopt them reasonably quick. But hiding features and having to know the secret handshake to execute them is in my mind pretty much the opposite of good design. Apple, while most of the time user-friendly, can be especially guilty of that. Though it seems to be working out for them just fine.