ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

With $3,000,000 dollars I imagine it would've even been hard to spend all that money within that small a time frame.

Not if you're a tech startup with VC funding :)

I think the people complaining about Double Fine's two parts are really complaining that the second part isn't expected to finish until 2015.

Unless I'm missing part of the story, Double Fine backers were backing a project that had an estimated delivery of October 2012... the game will be 2.5-3 years late when it's done.

The Broken sword cutting in half is affecting backers by only a one extra month wait, on a project that was only 6 months late at the start.

Yeah, that's not true. Part 1 is expected in January and Part 2 in April or May.

And the original estimated delivery was for the smaller scoped, Flash or AGS-based pixel adventure game they originally set out to make for $400.000. I can't remember what they ended up setting their estimated delivery to at the end of the campaign, but I recall them delaying it into some time in 2014.

I heard they've changed engines three times already and spent all their money on Brad Pitt's mo-cap and it's only coming out in 2020 for the SteamBox.

I'm pretty excited for this game! Looks absolutely beautiful and exciting. Also, that violin in the Broken Age teaser trailer, holy shit. I love the subtle crescendo, it gives me the chills.

Didn't they say in the last video update that Part 2 was coming in "May if Part 1 sells poorly, December if it sells well" or something to that effect? I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but I suspect it's a joke based partially on truth.

Question (and I haven't read before page 11 so i'm sorry if i'm retreading old ground).

I'm a baby and have never played anything Tim Schaffer (except a short psychonauts run at a friend's house). Beyond that I have never played an adventure game outside of The Walking Dead season 1 (generally they seem unnecessarily 'goofy' which isn't something I gravitate towards).

With that being the case, Broken Age looks phenomenal to me (for whatever reason).

What adventure games, or Schaffer esc stuff would you guys recommend? I generally have difficulty playing older, less refined games, so I understand that may be an issue.

Oh, also, to clarify; I don't dislike goofy, but I dislike when games do 'goofy' things without necessity. I was considering playing Kentucky Route Zero but I heard they had some oddly silly content (something about bears working in an office building) which seemed out of place compared to the aesthetic.

Define 'less refined'. What are you not a fan of? That might be useful info :)

Full Throttle is pretty great and still looks super nice despite the low resolution. And it has voice and music, if you're into those :)

Grim Fandango is great too, but the controls are pretty weird.

Neither is especially wacky (at least not to a bears-in-offices degree).

You'll also want to investigate http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ for playing older lucas games, or http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/ for Grim Fandango.

"less refined" was my way of trying to not be a modern day gamer, who's too used to modern controls and story telling.

Essentially I was asking if there are any games that I can play that I wouldn't need to put myself into a different state of mind to enjoy, in the way one would to rewatch pre-90's classic films.

If that doesn't make sense i'm probably just worried about nothing and should stop being a baby.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand what you've linked me, is this some sort of torrent-like software for adventure games?

"less refined" was my way of trying to not be a modern day gamer, who's too used to modern controls and story telling.

Essentially I was asking if there are any games that I can play that I wouldn't need to put myself into a different state of mind to enjoy, in the way one would to rewatch pre-90's classic films.

If that doesn't make sense i'm probably just worried about nothing and should stop being a baby.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand what you've linked me, is this some sort of torrent-like software for adventure games?

Ah, sorry, scummvm and its cousin residualvm are virtual machines for the old lucas game engines. They'll let you play the games on modern systems (or OSs for which the games were never released). Residual is for Grim Fandango, and ScummVM is for any other old lucasarts adventure. ResidualVM is very closely related to ScummVM, but it implements the 3d engine used by Grim Fandango rather than the old 2D engine the rest were built in.

They don't provide you copies of the games, they just let you play them.

Also, here's the intro to Full Throttle if you want an idea of the aesthetic:

Yeah, that's not true. Part 1 is expected in January and Part 2 in April or May.

And the original estimated delivery was for the smaller scoped, Flash or AGS-based pixel adventure game they originally set out to make for $400.000. I can't remember what they ended up setting their estimated delivery to at the end of the campaign, but I recall them delaying it into some time in 2014.

The version they have on Wikipedia, which more or less lines up with what I heard over the summer (I assume from giant bombcast) is:

Schafer reanalyzed the state of the project in July 2013 and recognized that at the current rate, they would not be releasing the complete game until 2015. Schafer recognized they would run out of the Kickstarter funds before then and would not yet be receiving money from the sales of the game, either requiring them to drastically cut back on the project or alter their release plans. Schafer opted to adjust the schedule and place the game in its beta state on Steam's Early Access system as to make it available by January 2014, obtaining revenue from sales there to fund the remaining development while gaining additional testing input before releasing a final version. 

Is the story more complicated than that?  Was the announcement only available to backers?  I can't see it on the DF action news blog.

hey don't provide you copies of the games, they just let you play them.

I got something called beneath steel skies (or something a long those lines) from the site. It sounds cool, so I'll give that a play.

Thanks for the links :)

Beneath a Steel Sky is pretty good, but it's also a great deal harder than you probably expect. Give it a try (because it is free) and investigate Lucasarts' classic adventures if you want something else.

The version they have on Wikipedia, which more or less lines up with what I heard over the summer (I assume from giant bombcast) is:

Schafer reanalyzed the state of the project in July 2013 and recognized that at the current rate, they would not be releasing the complete game until 2015. Schafer recognized they would run out of the Kickstarter funds before then and would not yet be receiving money from the sales of the game, either requiring them to drastically cut back on the project or alter their release plans. Schafer opted to adjust the schedule and place the game in its beta state on Steam's Early Access system as to make it available by January 2014, obtaining revenue from sales there to fund the remaining development while gaining additional testing input before releasing a final version. 

Is the story more complicated than that?  Was the announcement only available to backers?  I can't see it on the DF action news blog.

I don't remember. After the Kickstarter ended he definitely said that with the large amount of money they got they were going to be making a bigger game, and as I recall with that announcement it was implied (or directly said, even) that they weren't ever going to make the original delivery estimate with the bigger game. But yeah, this was all possibly only info available to backers.

But that's also interesting to me. Backers aren't the ones complaining, because they've been in on the schedule from the beginning. And if you're not a backer (not calling you out specifically, juffowup!) then why would any of this bother you? You haven't paid any money and can safely wait for reviews before ever investing in this game.

That Wikipedia article is accurate, though. But the 2015 statement was 'at the current rate' and their schedule has been adjusted to deliver both parts sooner. Hence an April or May 2014 release for the full game.

Question (and I haven't read before page 11 so i'm sorry if i'm retreading old ground).

I'm a baby and have never played anything Tim Schaffer (except a short psychonauts run at a friend's house). Beyond that I have never played an adventure game outside of The Walking Dead season 1 (generally they seem unnecessarily 'goofy' which isn't something I gravitate towards).

With that being the case, Broken Age looks phenomenal to me (for whatever reason).

What adventure games, or Schaffer esc stuff would you guys recommend? I generally have difficulty playing older, less refined games, so I understand that may be an issue.

Oh, also, to clarify; I don't dislike goofy, but I dislike when games do 'goofy' things without necessity. I was considering playing Kentucky Route Zero but I heard they had some oddly silly content (something about bears working in an office building) which seemed out of place compared to the aesthetic.

Full Throttle is amazing. It's a point and click adventure game, so I don't think you'd have much difficulty adjusting to it as you'll basically just use your mouse. It does have a driving mechanic during a small portion of the game that is kind of funky, but the rest of the game is pretty tame in terms of control and you shouldn't have too much difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't think the following sentiment is unique on this board, but I'll say it:

If you want to play adventure games, Grim Fandango is the must-play.  It was the de facto swan song of the genre (especially the LucasArts style) when the genre "collapsed" in the late 90s.  Even if it weren't, it's IMO the best thing Schafer has ever done (and probably ever will, no offense to DFA which will surely be great.)  The premise is sort of absurd to describe: a travel agent in the land of the dead (based loosely on the Nov 1 Mexican holiday) uncovers a web of conspiracy to steal people's tickets to the land of eternal rest and live through a 40s film noir-like experience in order to stop it.  It's exactly the sort of game that would *never* get published today.  (Although, who knows, maybe the new indie scene would have generated it.)  Despite this, I wouldn't say it's "goofy" at all - the game plays it completely straight from beginning to end.

In my opinion, for all it's strengths (which it has many), Grim Fandango is a shitty introduction to adventure games because its puzzles are insane. Right when you think you've got a handle on it, the game dumps you into the petrified forest. The art and story and music in Grim are some of the best things in games, but I think that to people who aren't already versed in adventure gaming (and worse, have other game genre experience*), Grim is an almost unapproachable first entry into the genre.

I think if you're going to start anywhere with Schafer games, start with Full Throttle. The game has a narrative trajectory which motivates you to solve most of its puzzles without the post-solving rationalization that I think hits a lot of Grim's weaker points, but it still has atmosphere and story and uniqueness unique to Schafer's games. Its puzzles only get truly ridiculous in the final third, by which time you've built up a vocabulary/accumen at approaching and solving them. (And like Grim, it's not goofy, but instead a good balance of drama, serious stakes, with occasional action and witty moments when the story needs them.)

* I think for a specific someone who has played NO games and has no expectations for how a game is played or should progress, but who generally likes long pensive media and likes puzzle solving, Grim Fandango could serve as a starting point. People who are decades games literate but have never played an adventure game, Grim feels a but like a toss off the deep end into some of the more mechanically ridiculous trappings of the genre.

ut that's also interesting to me. Backers aren't the ones complaining, because they've been in on the schedule from the beginning. And if you're not a backer (not calling you out specifically, juffowup!) then why would any of this bother you? You haven't paid any money and can safely wait for reviews before ever investing in this game.

I was just answering your question of why someone would be upset with one of the kickstarted point and click adventure games that starts with 'broken' being split in half but not the other. [Hey that's pretty weird right?]

But I think that even expecting backers to be in on the conversation is a little unfair.  I'm sure that many of the thousands who backed in the first 8 hours thought they were saying "yes I will pay $30 for an adventure game this October", and didn't follow closely enough to find out that that offer was basically withdrawn already.  Some of those people probably only showed up this July to hear Tim say "won't be releasing the complete game until 2015," and feel pretty unhappy.  

I haven't really been a fan of Double Fine since 2010, but I remember constantly being disappointed by their announcements...

I bought an Xbox when I read about an awesome Xbox exclusive called 'psychonauts' that should be coming in the next year.

I was having a hard time finding the last dragon statue in Brutal Legend when I heard that if I paid $5, they would show me where it is.

Despite subscribing to both the double fine action news feed and the podcast, I didn't hear about Trenched until 6 weeks after it was announced.

Maybe they've gotten better at messaging this stuff, (maybe Remo is helping?) but it feels crummy to be told that if you are interested in this video game and you want to know what year it might come out, you have to give us thirty bucks.

I think that Day Of The Tentacle (co-directed by Schafer) is a good intro to adventure games as well - it eases you into the full game slowly, and even if there are one or two unfair or tough puzzles, the game's logic and UI is pretty consistent and clear. And it's a brilliant game in general.

Beyond that, Sam And Max Hit The Road and *cough* the two Dan And Ben adventures that I worked on are good adventures with a similar sensibility.

Any other "Schafer-esque" games that people can think of?

I think that Day Of The Tentacle (co-directed by Schafer) is a good intro to adventure games as well - it eases you into the full game slowly, and even if there are one or two unfair or tough puzzles, the game's logic and UI is pretty consistent and clear. And it's a brilliant game in general.

That's definitely true, but it very clearly falls into the "goofy" category which I think jmb wanted to avoid.

That's definitely true, but it very clearly falls into the "goofy" category which I think jmb wanted to avoid.

Ah yes. So, Schafer-esque but not goofy, silly, cartoonish... that's a tougher question (outside of FT and GF, obv). I guess Schafer-traits are inventive settings, well-defined characters and sardonic dialogue...

It's wildly different from Schafer's stuff (no dialog! very traditional almost non-gamey puzzles) but Machinarium is a very cool, atmospheric game that you can get on Steam. It has a sort of handmade aesthetic that sits well next to Broken Age.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play Kentucky Route Zero, it's a beautiful game. It has odd things because it a magical realism story. It implements symbolic, otherworldly things in its subtle, mostly realistic setting and main story. Really, play it.

It's wildly different from Schafer's stuff (no dialog! very traditional almost non-gamey puzzles) but Machinarium is a very cool, atmospheric game that you can get on Steam. It has a sort of handmade aesthetic that sits well next to Broken Age.

I second Machinarium. 

I also liked Primordia from Wadjet Eye Games.  It's got lots of traditional adventure game stuff, but also lots of logic puzzles and a dark, gritty tone.  Plus the main character is voiced by Logan Cunningham, the narrator from Bastion and Transistor.  I haven't played any other Wadjet Eye stuff but I plan to get the Kosher Edition of The Shivah.