How dare you! He is my legitimate son!

Actually I may have to check the bastard thing when I have access to my save, but I doubt that is the case. I find it strange that I can nominate him for Ireland but not for Wales.

I may have fucked things up anyway by accidentally giving too much power to my vassals. Which leader should I play as next? King of Denmark?

I enjoyed playing one of the dukes of Norway and fighting for my independence. I think that's a quite often under-appreciated bit of gameplay, not being the head of the country so you have to undermine it from inside and eventually take the throne yourself.

The north west part of the map is typcially the easier bit since you don't have to deal with Muslims from the south or the invading Golden Horde from the east. That being said, I think there was a list of recommended beginner starts a couple of pages back.

That being said, I think there was a list of recommended beginner starts a couple of pages back.

Yeah I picked Denmark from there. 

Well yeah, but you can do that in the bride browser, too. All the bride browser does is filter out all the automatic "no" answers.

I just confirmed this is not so. Trying to find someone with the highest stewardship possible revealed a commoner with 2 higher stewardship than anything the marriage finder was giving me. She would have said yes in the diplomacy dialog. Same religion, different culture.

I just confirmed this is not so. Trying to find someone with the highest stewardship possible revealed a commoner with 2 higher stewardship than anything the marriage finder was giving me. She would have said yes in the diplomacy dialog. Same religion, different culture.

Ah, you're right, just checked it myself. The bride browser filters out lowborns and women over forty. I guess that's just them trying to be user-friendly?

Nappi, I have no clue why you can't elect your son to be king of Wales. It makes me curious enough that I'd ask for your save. Except for Byzantium, with its "born in the purple" mechanic, there's no situation where a child could be eligible for one title and not the other, if their succession laws are the same.

Hmm.. I'm starting to feel that I had missed something really obvious there. I will check the situation again when I'm back home and send save to you if I can't make sense of it.

Is it considered fair game to basically "abdicate" your titles to your intended heir if you've managed to engineer a situations where hes currently the legitimate heir but you feel that your not likley to be able to sustain that situation in the long term?

Edit: didn't matter in the end managed to stick it out long enough for my soon to inherit, now i just have the unholy mess of trying to keep a empire together with a new king. Any opinion on wheter grand tournaments are best held early in a reign or later?

Is it considered fair game to basically "abdicate" your titles to your intended heir if you've managed to engineer a situations where hes currently the legitimate heir but you feel that your not likley to be able to sustain that situation in the long term?

Since Gavelkind has restrictions to keep you from doing exactly that, I'd say that Paradox thinks it's fair in any other situation. Whether it feels appropriate to you is another matter.

Any opinion on wheter grand tournaments are best held early in a reign or later?

As soon as possible, I say. Grand Tournaments have AI flags that discourage internal revolt while they're going on, not to mention that the +10 opinion matters a lot more when you've got the "short reign" malus than when you have the "long reign" bonus. Barring a possessed heir or feudal levies & taxes at max, a tourney followed by a feast will smooth over just about any succession.

Nappi, I have no clue why you can't elect your son to be king of Wales. It makes me curious enough that I'd ask for your save. Except for Byzantium, with its "born in the purple" mechanic, there's no situation where a child could be eligible for one title and not the other, if their succession laws are the same.

Oops. Turns out the heir at the time wasn't my son after all. I was too busy fighting to notice that my son had died and some random dude with same portrait had replaced him as the heir. Fortunately, he died and the current heir is my cousin who I can nominate for both Ireland and Wales. Can't seem to be able to nominate him for the successor for the Kingdom of Britanny, though. How can I make my son the heir again? Grant him enough land and assassinate my cousin? Is there a view that shows who would be the next heir if something terrible were to happen to the current on?

If your vassals like you enough they generally follow along with your vote, unless there's a specific reason to not elect the person in question (really old without a male heir for instance.)

Oops. Turns out the heir at the time wasn't my son after all. I was too busy fighting to notice that my son had died and some random dude with same portrait had replaced him as the heir. Fortunately, he died and the current heir is my cousin who I can nominate for both Ireland and Wales. Can't seem to be able to nominate him for the successor for the Kingdom of Britanny, though. How can I make my son the heir again? Grant him enough land and assassinate my cousin? Is there a view that shows who would be the next heir if something terrible were to happen to the current on?

You can mouse over the shield of any landed (or titular) title to see the succession law and first three heirs in order, in addition to the Laws screen.

If your vassals like you enough they generally follow along with your vote, unless there's a specific reason to not elect the person in question (really old without a male heir for instance.)

The culture and diplomacy of the target heir also help, too.

So I can nominate my son and if the vassals go with it I play as him, even if my cousin is currently marked as the heir (crown next his portrait)? No need to kill the cousin? What about his wife? Just to be sure?

So I can nominate my son and if the vassals go with it I play as him, even if my cousin is currently marked as the heir (crown next his portrait)? No need to kill the cousin? What about his wife? Just to be sure?

Assassins are a tool of desperation. If you're not too old yet, just nominate your son, bribe the relevant electors, and wait for the vote to change. Even if you die before the winds change, children all get claims on their parent's titles, so if your son holds onto some land, you'll be able to start a war to dispute the succession anyway. 

Thanks guys for all the help! Now that I know how the succession works I think I can finally fulfill my dream of becoming the king of the world.

(The last confusion was caused by the fact that I accidentally tried nominating a different successor on my "secondary" kingdom and not the primary. When the crown that indicates the heir didn't switch over to him, I thought it was some sort of a static thing. I got it now.)

Also, this game is fucking amazing!

Thanks guys for all the help! Now that I know how the succession works I think I can finally fulfill my dream of becoming the king of the world.

(The last confusion was caused by the fact that I accidentally tried nominating a different successor on my "secondary" kingdom and not the primary. When the crown that indicates the heir didn't switch over to him, I thought it was some sort of a static thing. I got it now.)

Also, this game is fucking amazing!

Glad you're digging it!

And yeah, the crown indicates the heir for your primary title alone. The game just calls him your heir, which isn't strictly true.

I started from the same place they did in the stream of course, and my first Lord spent his life uniting Ireland and then fabricating claims and invading on the few counties who refused vassalization.  He died ultimately having fully conquered Ireland and two counties at the closest edge of Scotland.

The second Lord, my current mans, is the greatest god damn conqueror of all time.  He swiftly and soundly defeated Scotland without suffering a single loss, declared war on Norway and blitzed them to gain the five or six counties they had in the middle of Scotland, then vassalized or fabricated claims on the remaining counties until it was fully in his control, waited for them to recover from being conquered and then easily crushed an already war-torn England and Whales in quick succession, or simultaneously, he's kind of forgotten in his old age.  His time since has been spent planning where to strike next, and carefully manipulating the succession laws and taking out problem heirs so that his grandson can inherit all four kingdoms.  Unfortunately in his laser-focus on marshal victory he'd carelessly thrown about control of the various counties and duchies to random vassals since he was beloved by all of them, so when his grandson does inherit he'll have a revolution on his hands because everyone wants some other county or dutchy and therefore hates him.

I didn't have expectations about how the combat would be since Chris and Nick militarily mostly flopped about incompetently, but it's actually a sort of fascinating system.  Most of my experience in strategy games comes from starcraft 2 where the battles tend to be close, but in CK2 it's actually optimal to only pick fights you can win by a devastating margin, to the point that I've never lost a single battle.  I guess it's really the difference between a 1v1 strategy game and a massive one.

Micro-managing all the marriages is not my thing though.  I just click the button that says "sure I'll marry you!" and when they whine about it again in a few years I click the one that automatically pairs them with someone, though at one point I noticed I was marrying one of my granddaughters to one of my grandsons and shrugged a little bit as I hit accept.  Educating children is totally my thing though.  Gotta make sure my future vassals are capable.

The marriage and education systems are really only useful for two things.

1) For your heir, Making him/her the bes they can be. Some of the traits (such as genius) are hereditary, so if you want a kid with high stats, you'll have a better chance if you grab a spouse with high stats.

2) For everyone who isn't you heir, getting alliances and improving relations. A vassal gets a +20 opinion of you if you send your kid to them to train, and marriages get you alliances so you can call people in to help you in wars.

Generally, when choosing spouses, I go for best stats for myself and all of my children (just in case my intended heir dies) and best alliance for cousins, brothers, and sisters.

For choosing educators, I go with either myself or my wife (who of course has incredible stats) for my first few children, and whatever vassal has the lowest positive opinion (so around 10-ish) of me for the less important children and other relatives.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned, but have y'all heard about this?

hall_small.jpg

Charlie Hall

Features Writer

There’s a lot of interesting UI and systems changes in EU4, from what I’ve been told. Even more interesting, you can take a dynasty from CK2 and plug it into EU4, to play a strategic game based of your more narrative game. Very fascinating.

Edit: I just saw Chris mention it in the second part of the Crusader Kings II stream. This is such an interesting feature to me.

There was already a mod that kind of manually did that. It's awesome that they're making it official.

You can go Crusader Kings > Europa Universalis > Hearts of Iron > Cold War

There was already a mod that kind of manually did that. It's awesome that they're making it official.

You can go Crusader Kings > Europa Universalis > Hearts of Iron > Cold War

You forgot Vicky!

I haven't played any of the other games, do they have similar personality systems? I'm trying to figure out what would be transferred between games, besides names and possibly a portrait.

I haven't played any of the other games, do they have similar personality systems? I'm trying to figure out what would be transferred between games, besides names and possibly a portrait.

None of the other games besides the oft-forgotten Europa Universalis: Rome have character systems. I mean, the main Europa Universalis games do, but really just as a temporary modifier for your nation. What transfers is the world-state, however the political and religious map have turned out over the past four or six hundred years of gameplay.

Honestly, it's of little appeal to me, if only because the world map looks like a big pile of shit at 1453 no matter what, but some people might get a kick out of a Scandinavian world-empire or Aztecs in Ireland.

I just conquered the entire Norway by claiming it for my 9-year old daughter and then murdering her once the war was over. Now I'm proud and extremely ashamed at the same time.

This game should give you achievements for all the weird shit you do.

Also, I hadn't realized the "Press All Claims" button before. That would certainly have made things easier for me with Scotland and England.

Press All Claims doesn't always show up for me, so I'm not sure if you have to meet specific requirements for it to appear. Many times I've had the option to declare war on someone and am given the option of picking from 3 or 4 different Cassi Belli, but can't press all claims, so it takes 30 years to get those territories.

Press All Claims doesn't always show up for me, so I'm not sure if you have to meet specific requirements for it to appear. Many times I've had the option to declare war on someone and am given the option of picking from 3 or 4 different Cassi Belli, but can't press all claims, so it takes 30 years to get those territories.

I think you can only press all claims if they're personal claims, i.e. claims that you fabricated or inherited. De Jure claims can't be pressed en masse.