Sno

Wherein half-remembered games are identified

Whoops, sorry, no, it wasn't :) I've given up hope. The only way I'll ever get this one back is if Doc Emmet Brown crashes in and tells me 'it's your games, Roderick, your games are in peril!'.

Ok I have a couple here that probably are impossible.

Game 1

"Puzzle Game for Win 95 or Win 98" I had this game demo disk that came with, I'm pretty sure Win 95. The interface was like a 3d FPS where you would walk around these rooms looking at pictures of the game you wanted to play.

It had MechWarrior 2 on it, maybe zork, stuff like that. But they had this one puzzle game which you played a coloured cube with different colours on each side on a grid floor of colours(like a disco floor) and you could only roll onto a square that had the same colour as that specific side. After rolling off, I believe, the square disappears. It had some pretty awesome ambient music too from what I remember and you could just zone out and roll a cube, it was cool.

Game 2: Pre-Win 95 (486 era?) It was a space ship game, but I don't believe you fly a ship around, instead it was something like bridge commander, where you chose where to go and had a right bar of purple or pink that had a scanner and showed your shields and such. I believe you could contact engineering, pick up items and out fit your ship.

The only thing I remember though, and probably the only identifiable part is you could go to warp speed but it was dangerous, doing it for too long would leak radiation and your crew would turn into mutants. At that point it was impossible to do anything because your systems would display a picture of a three eyes classic smiley face and they'd be drawing picographs or something in crayon... it was weird, just wondering what the hell this was.

this one puzzle game which you played a coloured cube with different colours on each side on a grid floor of colours(like a disco floor) and you could only roll onto a square that had the same colour as that specific side. After rolling off, I believe, the square disappears. It had some pretty awesome ambient music too from what I remember and you could just zone out and roll a cube, it was cool.

But try telling that to the kids of today, and they won't believe you...

Sorry, I can't help.

this one isn't half-remembered, i remember it quite clear. BUT, i don't know the name and would like to see it again.

it was this old dos game that was basically a Choplifter clone. it was 4 colors i think. anyway the thing was crazy because it both had physics and terrain deformation, but was little more than a helicopter and some stick figures.

come to think of it, it might have been two colors, red on black?

Wow, well Ive been searching this one forever, but I guess after writing out a description it gave me enough to google it properly. I have been looking for this game name literally forever, I didn't just think of it now(I may have even posted this question before)

Anyway...

Behold the WIN95 game Sample CD!

and the game I was thinking of.... ENDORFUN! It's not quite what I remember and the music is, well... maybe it was better not to have found this, lol.

Wow, well Ive been searching this one forever, but I guess after writing out a description it gave me enough to google it properly. I have been looking for this game name literally forever, I didn't just think of it now(I may have even posted this question before)

Anyway...

Behold the WIN95 game Sample CD!

and the game I was thinking of.... ENDORFUN! It's not quite what I remember and the music is, well... maybe it was better not to have found this, lol.

You have brought me a small measure of wonderment with these strange videos of strange things.

I kind of miss dumb, elaborate demo discs. Anybody else subscribe to PC gamer in the 90's? Craziness.

This one's really obscure and has been bugging me for ages.

Late 90s early 00s freeware point-and-click adventure game. Might have been made in AGS. Purported to be the first part in a multi-part series. Plot involved you dying on a spaceship, being turned into a ghost, and trying to find your way to an earth-like planet. The only specific thing I remember about it was there was a really cheesy joke about a camera pan that turned the screen upside down. My memory tells me it was made by a developer called Trapezoid (same as Neil Cicerega/Lemon Demon?), although I'm not sure I entirely trust it.

Edit: Whoa. Lemon Demon was a member of BigBlueCup back in the day. I guess I should trust my mind more. Not sure the name or where I can actually find any of his old games nowadays. Definitely not geocities. :sad:

I remember that game. Didn't the spaceship crash after hitting an asteroid, and wasn't the pilot drunk? This was all shown in a short intro scene.

On the planet you met 3 hooded figures with funny names. You were a ghost, but it looked more like a blue blob.

Damnit, I can't remember the title either. :frusty:

This game was most definitely not made with AGS, but with a ClickTeam engine (Games Factory, MultiMedia Fusion or Click & Play).

this one isn't half-remembered, i remember it quite clear. BUT, i don't know the name and would like to see it again.

it was this old dos game that was basically a Choplifter clone. it was 4 colors i think. anyway the thing was crazy because it both had physics and terrain deformation, but was little more than a helicopter and some stick figures.

come to think of it, it might have been two colors, red on black?

CHOPPER COMMANDO

http://www.classicdosgames.com/online/chopper256.html

you can even play it in your browser

Riddle me this, if you can.

This was an old BBC Acorn (I think) game. It was a platformer in the vein of Chuckie Egg (single screen per level). You were a guy who had to run around knocking the ingredients of a burger off the levels onto the bottom of the screen, creating an entire sandwich. You did this while avoiding baddies.

Any ideas?

Riddle me this, if you can.

This was an old BBC Acorn (I think) game. It was a platformer in the vein of Chuckie Egg (single screen per level). You were a guy who had to run around knocking the ingredients of a burger off the levels onto the bottom of the screen, creating an entire sandwich. You did this while avoiding baddies.

Any ideas?

Total guess based on a bit of random googling and assuming it isn't the popular Burger Time: Mr. Wimpy?

Dy-wBVHFd_8

Actually, I think it may have been the popular Burger Time (it just came to me as I read the previous posts... I've never really searched for it :getmecoat)... at least it resembled that more closely than Mr Wimpy. But was there home computer versions of BT? Wikipedia says it was consoles only?

there were computer knockoffs of just about everything. i remember playing some absolutely horrible 286 versions of mario and contra and whatever else.

Not an old game, but a mod project I seem to remember but can't find any trace of : some guy had managed to make a pretty interesting collage of a bunch of unfinished levels for Half-Life (2?) by stitching them together. Anybody remember that ?

Why is that Chopper game nearly impossible to get running in the game again? If I die (after like half a second), all of my available characters are dead, even at some point where I can make a new one. That's mean.

And why are people stealing Burger Time?

Not an old game, but a mod project I seem to remember but can't find any trace of...

If we're going to talk mods, maybe somebody can help me out with this one that has bugged me for years.

So i used to play a ton of mods for Quake, and i can remember what most of them are, but not this one. I don't think it was one of the official expansions, i don't think i ever played those. I'm pretty certain it was a mod or a TC or something, but I didn't play it on my own PC, so i don't know. It was a year or two out from the release of the game, probably 97.

I remember it being very well produced, one of the more polished things i had seen done for Quake from a modding perspective. It was essentially just a level pack with several episodes, but had a cool new difficulty/episode selection level, all in the style of the main game.

I remember one of the levels being about jumping over a series of moving platforms suspended by rails above lava in a tall large wide open room. (Ok, yeah, i know. This potentially describes like a full half of all the levels that were ever made for Quake. The distinctive thing here was that this had a more brightly lit industrial sci-fi theme, it was all new textures not from the core game.)

There was a chaingun that had two interlocking cyclical barrel assemblies, kind of like the minigun from Unreal, and this chaingun very clearly was using the impact sprites from the

. The rest of the weapons were just the normal Quake weapons, though there might have been a couple other additions. I'm pretty sure there were a couple new enemies too.

I mean, based on this recollection, it really sounds like something that might have been an official or semi-official mission pack, but it wasn't as far as i can tell.

this is the best thread of all times. i've been asking people for years about this one game i had on the amiga 500 (although i'm pretty sure it was a rip from my nogoodnik uncle) it was side-scrolling, involving a weird industrial wasteland type scenario featuring such enemies as - random bush with multiple eyes! and - robot with inexplicable human skull for a head! if you pushed up on the joystick you could switch between two characters - a bald man or a girl with awesome medusa-type hair. controls were shit and the music was worse. i think i was given this in 1990, so it would have been made before then. i wan kno!!!!

this is the best thread of all times.

There's actually another one of these somewhere on the forum that must have been made around early 2008 if you enjoy this one.

Sno, the only commercial Quake TC I pretty much remember is Quake Malice.

It had a scifi theme, but maybe doesn't otherwise match with your description.

I was also going to ask if anyone remembered the name of an old educational BBC micro game I played at school but weirdly I just had a flashback and turns out it's called Dread Dragon Droom. I remember hiding in the toilets at dinner time so I could stay in and play this and Geordie Racer and not be turfed out onto the playground.

Sad times.

Ok have another one, it may be well known, it may not be,

It was a snes jrpg that I remember not being very fun, but the hook was you were a young inventor and made robots. I can only remember the first bit of the game where you take over your inventor mentors lab and there were books to "read' that increased you skill in making robots.

Ok have another one, it may be well known, it may not be,

It was a snes jrpg that I remember not being very fun, but the hook was you were a young inventor and made robots. I can only remember the first bit of the game where you take over your inventor mentors lab and there were books to "read' that increased you skill in making robots.

Robotrek?