pabosher

iOS Gaming

What do the IAPs get you?

The difficulty escalates a bit quicker than you can keep up with comfortably. There is power ups you can activate to make things a bit easier. You gain a few as you play, but they can also be purchased (or FB spammed for I think) if you just so happen to run out...

God no, you don't need me involved to spam your facebook page!

I misunderstood, I thought we would get the traits just by having a Facebook friend who plays. Sounds like it's far more nefarious.

Check it out just in case, i remember it being the rotten "tell everyone about it" version though (boo, hiss).

Having said all that, everyone who likes the look should totally try the game! There is lots of fun to be had before things start going south!

Pocket Tactics is where I go.

I'll second Pocket Tactics. It's the only worthwhile place looking at mobile games as far as I know.

Civilization Revolution 2 is out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id864880531?mt=8

No in-app purchases, $15. It requires a more recent iOS device.

Update: probably don't buy this if you already played Civ Rev. It is just the original mechanics with some new units/wonders/civs and 3D graphics. Sticking that "2" on the end feels pretty deceptive.

Is the original civ rev any good? I've only really heard hardcore civ fans (of which I'm not one) complaining about it. But those guys complain about everything. Going on holiday soon, so an ipad game might be worth it. 

It's very good. Not as complex as a proper civ game, but it scratches that itch in the same way. I suppose if you haven't played it, then I suppose Civ Rev 2 is probably the way to go.

Is the original civ rev any good? I've only really heard hardcore civ fans (of which I'm not one) complaining about it. But those guys complain about everything. Going on holiday soon, so an ipad game might be worth it. 

You are obviously not going to get the full complexity of a big Civ game but i remember enjoying the time i put into it on my iphone.

Cool that's good to know. The original would still probably be a better choice - I have a rather old iOS device, and I'm sure it'll be cheaper!

Does anyone play Bounden? It's super good. It has the same spaceteam effect of making you look like an idiot in a group.

It's also out on Android now.

(I wish this was just a general mobile gaming thread, since the overall traffic in here is low.)

Ingress just came out on iOS! I found it to be a pretty entertaining excuse to leave the house while I was leveling, and now it's also a great way to find interesting out-of-the-way monuments and such that you might never have heard of otherwise.

I heard that Ingress was kind of a mess, actually; it's a PvP MMO with reinforcing feedback mechanisms.

You can buy into as much of the mess as you like, really. Most of the bullshit is optional. I just thought I'd highlight the parts I like.

It's also not PvP in the sense that you can do anything directly to other players - it's all strictly via the territory.

Does anyone play Bounden? It's super good. It has the same spaceteam effect of making you look like an idiot in a group.

It's also out on Android now.

(I wish this was just a general mobile gaming thread, since the overall traffic in here is low.)

Yeah, my wife and I are really bad at it :)

So were the GB guys, so that's pretty funny to watch if anyone is interested.

Has anyone been impressed with Madefire Motion Comics? The description suggests that some of them are choose your own adventure. Has anyone tried it out?

"Secret Lighthouse" so practical

I actually laughed out loud at this. I don't normally do that. Well done.

I just played my first hour of 80 Days.

screen568x568.jpegscreen568x568.jpeg

You play as the assistant of a wealthy gentleman in a steam-punk alternate history. At the beginning of the game, he informs you that he has made a wager that he can go around the world in 80 days. The itinerary is your charge.

When in a city during the day time, you have a few options. You can go to the market to buy and sell items (always paying attention to how many suitcases you are managing). Some items make the trip more comfortable. Comfort is important as your employer has a health-point amount that can depreciate if you make plans for uncomfortable travel which makes him irritable. Another way to spend your precious daylight is to go to the bank to draw more funds from your employer's account. I get the impression that he has near unlimited wealth, so mechanically this is an exchange between time and money. If you are unaware of any routes from the current city, you can spend the day exploring to find out what forms of travel are available. This is where much of the narrative takes place. I think that every city has a little story that you can potentially playthrough. I've found the writting to be really engaging, the encounters with locals I've had so far all really illustrate the world well. You can also talk to people during your journey in order to find out about connecting-routes. In the city-menu there is also a button for planning your trip. This is a globe that shows you all the routes you have become aware of through purchasing time-tables and making small-chat. Typically I plan my trip once the market and bank have closed and you can no longer explore the city. The reason for this is that time is continually passing while you plan. I found this out the hard way. Before we left London, I was looking at the map and managing the suitcase. When I went to try to depart, I discovered that we had missed the train and had to wait until 9:00am the next morning (lLosing a full day of travel to my inattentiveness). Waiting is accomplished by staying at a hotel which is not as much a drain on your cash as it is a drain on your time. Once I missed that first train, the tone of the game was set for me; I understood that time is the main currency. We must travel the globe in 80 days.

The presentation of the game startled me. I've played some of Sorcery!, which never fuuly engaged me. I just spent an hour in 80 Days and I'm looking forward to more. One think that I'm really impressed with is that so much effort was put into the sound design; cities have atmosphere and various methods of travel have different noises that suggest how refined they are. Twirling the globe in the planning screen feels playful, the stats look clean, and the whole experience is grand. 

Another thing that impresses me is that every aspect of information available to the player is informing a decision. This is especially critical in the conversational system. I find myself goading NPC's and risking my safety just to find out if anyone has good info on a faster route from Rome to Alexandria or to get the gossip on which airship is the most reliable. In many games the story and dialogue is just window-dressing that you can take or leave. In 80 Days, it is a significant source of technical knowledge that informs the most important choices you make. In other words, the player is constantly aware that there are reasons to pay attention to the the political views of the fish-monger you happen to chat up.

In the hour I've played, I have made multiple executive-decisions with limited time and felt both immense satisfaction with how prudent I have been in some choices, and deeply worried that I have taken us on the worst and longest route possible. I am very much enjoying it. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id892812659

So we've had a bit of a hold-up in Bombay. I saw that I could grease the tracks to Calcutta for a few hundred extra pounds so I went ahead and expedited the departure-time. Unfortunately, our ticket-price was not included so we could not board the train we had so generously advanced. Broke, we decided to get a transfer from the bank, but it being Saturday, we had to wait for it to open at 9:00 am on Monday. So we did. We waited a day for the transfer, but because everything leaves Bombay at 9:00am and the bank opens at 9:00am, we could not leave until Wednesday. I looked again at the estimated arrival times of our itinerary and realized that waited an additional three days for more money wouldn't actually set us back much more than we already were. So we got some more money and now are leaving Bombay many days later than expected. I am beginning to worry that we will not be able to make it around the world in 80 days because of my cascade of mistakes. Curse this city, I hope the shoes they stole off my feet give them blisters.