thorn

Iron Brigade

To be fair, grumbling makes perfect sense, but getting angry is what strikes me as pointless.

I wouldn't say I am angry. I am just flamboyantly irritated. I think the impersonality of the internet strikes again. :tmeh:

What? Steampunk is something set around the Victorian era during the height of the industrial revolution. It was sparked by weird facts like Charles Babbage inventing the first computer before there was electricity.

http://www.cbi.umn.edu/about/babbage.html

Anything that doesn't evoke the era post-electricity and pre-steam is not Steampunk.

I know, all I'm saying is that I've heard one or two fiction stories that claim to be steampunk when all they have anachronistic technology.

The game market is ridiculous hostile nowadays, there are just too many variables to deal with when publishing a PC game, not only piracy, but compatibility issues, DRM, whether will buy the digital or physical version of the game, from who they will buy the copy....
This is ridiculous. None of these are anywhere near insurmountable obstacles which you make them out to be. People are still making PC games without making a huge ado about any of these problems/decisions.

This is ridiculous. None of these are anywhere near insurmountable obstacles which you make them out to be. People are still making PC games without making a huge ado about any of these problems/decisions.

I'm not saying they are obstacles, but they add a lot of hassle to deal with that consoles do not. It's up to the publisher to decide if what to deal with this hassles as minor as it may be.

I'm not angry at all. Just largely disappointed on the direction Double Fine is heading to.

It seems the Brad Muir, one of the two Brûtal Legend's Game Designer, is Trenched's project lead.

The artistic direction isn't particularly noteworthy (is it me or do the characters look a lot like Freedom Fighter's ?), but it seems to be something between Shogo and EDF - and since I haven't played a mecha-game in over a decade; I might bite.

I'm not angry at all. Just largely disappointed on the direction Double Fine is heading to.

If you're talking about the genre and artistic direction I'll agree with you, but I don't understand why people are complaining about DF not making PC games, they only made ONE game for PC, right?

I don't understand why people are complaining about DF not making PC games, they only made ONE game for PC, right?

I don't know. Maybe just because of that?

Yes... bring out the pitchforks and popcorn!

We demand cool games on PC from DF!

And even that one they weren't going to make to PC at all first, but after some teeth-grinding and tough turns Psychonauts did end up also on PC which was a big surprise. It might because Microsoft changed to Majesco/THQ on the publishing department, but still...

The first few years of Psychonauts development I didn't care at all as it was just a project for Xbox. I did mourn the loss of a great PC game developer (Tim Schafer), but then I was eating only happy pills when they announced that it will come to PC as well. I'm also extremely happy that I got many friends introduced to that magnificient game because of it being on PC so they bought it also. One friend who never buys any video games because he has given up on gaming almost completely, I even got to him to buy it straight from Tim's website shop because he loved Monkey Islands and Day of the Tentacle so much.

I know some games are only meant to appear on certain platforms as those are in-house projects like all Miyamoto's projects for Nintendo, but Double Fine isn't an in-house first party developer, I would be really happy if they could release all their games on all the main platforms to reach the maximum audience.

Edited by Kolzig

The reason it's not coming for the PS3 is the big fat "Microsoft Games Studios" stamp. Speaking of that, I thought THQ were supposed to publish all 4 of the downloadable titles?

Only Costume Quest and Stacking. Sesame Street is Warner Bros and Trenched is MGS.

This game appeals to me on some level because I love mechs and can't think of a single decent mech game I've played in recent history, although it is admittedly quite conventional for a Double Fine title and I can't see myself going particularly out of my way to play it. But then, isn't the point of amnesia fortnight to throw lots of wildly different things out and see what works?

Pyschonauts suffered from poor sales, can you blame them for being cautious?

The stakes are higher for bigger developers, they can't afford to take the same risks indie companies can.

I can't really say if it's Double Fine or the publishers who are not willing to take the plunge and start developing PC games again, but I can understand why.

The game industry is more ruthless now, a failure is much more serious than before, if your game is a failure and you are owned by a bigger company, it's game over for you and even if you are your own company a failure is equally dire.

Not to mention that what a failure is now is much more than it was before, how many companies have been forced to close down because they got a 7.5 in reviews? More than I'm comfortable with.

I'm the one here is more likely to play "bad" games and I can say that most of the companies that made a "bad" game are now gone forever.

And no, I'm not implying that any DF game is bad, but the game industry is rabid pack of hyenas that will tear your game to shreds and getting 25.000 in sales when they expect 30.000 is a failure.... a "bad" game.

Once again, I can understand why DF or their publisher is willing to take the risk.

Pyschonauts suffered from poor sales, can you blame them for being cautious?

Yes you can. You're not going to get big sales when you're being too careful. A lot of things were done wrong in selling psychonauts. The biggest mistake was to delay the game for over a year in Europe.

I don't understand why you guys are all arguing about this. Have you not noticed that during the past half decade or so the PC has become an absolute joke as a gaming platform? Unless you like adventure, retro, or low-budget European games there's pretty much fuck all to play.

The PC receives a fraction of the games released on consoles, and even when one does come along it's usually a very sloppy translation with sluggish controls; graphics that're hobbled by being control-centric; and a general lack of sheen. Almost every PC port I've played in recent years has simply felt... broken. BioShock was the first I remember being like this, and it's not gotten any better since really.

Yeah it's a shame Double Fine isn't releasing on the PC, blah, blah, blah. But this is a general shift the entire industry has taken, publishers and developers alike. Double Fine is largely reliant on publisher support now (especially after the brutallising their funds would have taken from having to finance large portions of Psychonauts' and Brutal Legend's development) so it's not like it's even them getting to make the call.

Regardless of what factors caused it, the PC is a pretty shit platform for playing games on nowadays. Maybe it was piracy; maybe it was people preferring the unified, simplistic approach to hardware of a console; maybe it was the advent of online experiences like PSN and Xbox LIVE. Whatever the case, it's done. The PC is bollocks for gaming and has been for years. A console is pretty much an entry ticket to being able to play modern games properly.

This is Idle Thumbs, adventure, retro, or low-budget European games is all we're about! (You forgot RTS games though):hah:

I don't understand why you guys are all arguing about this. Have you not noticed that during the past half decade or so the PC has become an absolute joke as a gaming platform? Unless you like adventure, retro, or low-budget European games there's pretty much fuck all to play.

The PC receives a fraction of the games released on consoles, and even when one does come along it's usually a very sloppy translation with sluggish controls; graphics that're hobbled by being control-centric; and a general lack of sheen. Almost every PC port I've played in recent years has simply felt... broken. BioShock was the first I remember being like this, and it's not gotten any better since really.

Yeah it's a shame Double Fine isn't releasing on the PC, blah, blah, blah. But this is a general shift the entire industry has taken, publishers and developers alike. Double Fine is largely reliant on publisher support now (especially after the brutallising their funds would have taken from having to finance large portions of Psychonauts' and Brutal Legend's development) so it's not like it's even them getting to make the call.

Regardless of what factors caused it, the PC is a pretty shit platform for playing games on nowadays. Maybe it was piracy; maybe it was people preferring the unified, simplistic approach to hardware of a console; maybe it was the advent of online experiences like PSN and Xbox LIVE. Whatever the case, it's done. The PC is bollocks for gaming and has been for years. A console is pretty much an entry ticket to being able to play modern games properly.

This is a joke post right?

If not you are so very very wrong.

No.

2010: SC II, BFBC2, Cataclysm, DoW II Chaos Rising, Mass Effect 2, Stalker Pripyat, Alien Swarm, Metro 2033, RUSE, Civ V.

Stop talking utter shit.

Lol... online experience with PSN. Yeah, there's an absolute shitfest of an experience.

As for multiplatform games being broken control wise on the PC. For FPS/TPS games it's infact the console versions that have a broken control scheme.

I don't I would have liked playing Bulletstorm on a console.

Hell let's talk about games like Amnesia, Magicka, Torchlight, Minecraft and Trine.

Capcom released 2 of their 3 big games last year on the PC, and even Ubisoft hasn't stopped making Assassin's Creed games for it, even if they are delayed.

There are games all across the indie-to-big publisher spectrum that thrive on the PC, especially the unique ones. THQ's lack of belief in the platform is in direct opposition to their strong PC only franchises. It's troubling.

Is there a reason you're being so abrasive towards me Patters? Unless you fancy mounting a proper and respectful argument, piss off.

Is there a reason you're being so abrasive towards me? Unless you fancy mounting a proper and respectful argument, piss off.

Because what you wrote was exactly that. Your post read exacly like a fanboy of a console would to another.

Is there a reason you're being so abrasive towards me Patters? Unless you fancy mounting a proper and respectful argument, piss off.

What you're saying seems to be that it is somehow PC's fault as a platform that no one cares to properly release things for it. This is false, but also false.