Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Congratulations! It's great to hear. Do you want to regale us with your ultimate build?

Regarding tail weapons, I got them all in NG and then tried to do the same in NG+. The only two I decided weren't worth it were Seath and Kalameet, the former because it's so hard to hit the tip of his tale in that small chamber and the latter because I tanked him for forty minutes straight without him putting his tail down in reach of my claymore so I said fuck it. I actually ended up chopping off Seath's tail by accident after giving up, but Kalameet's tail is so not worth it. None of the dragon tails are, except for charm points, because they're so heavy and don't scale. The Everlasting Dragon tail is a lark for how cool it looks, at least.

The Dragon King Greataxe is probably my favorite weapon in the game. 

I think DS2 is inferior to DS1 in several ways. I still enjoyed it a ton (and still am). The satisfaction from mastering the combat is hard to come by elsewhere.

Congrats on finishing DS. Sounds like you did it with the exact same build as me, except I used what I considered to be prettier armor (the Elite Knight set). That bleed on Uchi was so useful, but after playing again with the Lightning Zweihander, I think I prefer heavier weapons. They fit my play style of hit-and-run followed by panicked swinging when the boss is close to death more than the uchi did.

I think DS2 is also superior in several ways. For me it's a wash, leaning towards 2.

I'm curious, as I've yet to play 2, why do you think this? The popular opinion is that 2 isn't as good. I have the feeling I'll prefer 2 just because I'll get a real DS experience as I'll actually be able to play online (once I get the controller sorted out). 

Don't bother cutting the tails, it's just frustrating. Do it in co-op if you really want them.

I think DS2 is also superior in several ways. For me it's a wash, leaning towards 2.

I'm jealous.

Things I prefer in 2

- fairer bosses except one optional one

- more finished, polished feel

- more balanced stat system

- unbelievably improved multiplayer

- no dickwraiths in ng

- at least as many beautiful, memorable areas

- more sensible weapon upgrade/material system

I acknowledge that some of the cohesiveness and wonder of v1 has not made or into the sequel. The upside is a more playable experience.

A lot of this is obviously taste, but I think a lot of people's complaints are caused by it not being their first souls game.

Curious. I heard the exact opposite. What bosses do you consider to be unfair in DS1? I found all of them to be well made and constantly gave me the feeling that any time I died was due to my failure. Except the Capra Daemon of course, but 1 bad boss out of so many is pretty good.

Things I prefer in 2

- more finished, polished feel

- more balanced stat system

- unbelievably improved multiplayer

- no dickwraiths in ng

- at least as many beautiful, memorable areas

- more sensible weapon upgrade/material system

I acknowledge that some of the cohesiveness and wonder of v1 has not made or into the sequel. The upside is a more playable experience.

A lot of this is obviously taste, but I think a lot of people's complaints are caused by it not being their first souls game.

I don't agree with about half of those but I get why someone would feel that way. It's hard for me to say exactly why I like the sequel less, because a lot of it is in the intangible things. When I play Dark Souls I get such a strong sense of it being someone's creative vision, in a way that I haven't gotten with any other game. That's what made it truly special to me. Dark Souls 2 never coheres the same way. I can point to some specifics, I don't like the enemy tracking and I think the dialogue is a lot worse. But on paper, how big a deal is a hundred lines of dialogue in a 60 hour combat focused ARPG?

Why do some made up words sound silly and others sound cool? I can't explain that either, but it's similar to how I feel about the two games.

Curious. I heard the exact opposite. What bosses do you consider to be unfair in DS1? I found all of them to be well made and constantly gave me the feeling that any time I died was due to my failure. Except the Capra Daemon of course, but 1 bad boss out of so many is pretty good.

Every single boss in the Izalith branch really. Firesage is the best of the bunch and even there the explosions have some bullshit to them plus it's dumb that it does magic rather than fire damage. The healthbar on Gaping dragon is way too long for such a dull fight. Capra isn't unfair so much as unfun because the fight is basically decided by whether you get up the stairs or not and the rest is busywork. All of this is making me sound more negative than I really am about them though! It's a terrible thing about this kind of comparison and I regret entering into it because it's making 1 feel a bit tarnished in my mind which I'm not sure it deserves.

I guess on reflection unfair isn't precisely the word I was looking for. I can't think of something better though.

Anyway, I absolutely adore Dark Souls 1, it's one of my favourite games of all time. But right now, if I feel the need to play some Souls, I'm firing up 2 without a moment's hesitation. I love the shaded woods, love the shrine of Amana, love all the dragon areas... and there's definitely enough lore in the game for me to appreciate at least as much as I did 1 (the theme of 'never knowning why' is just so fitting for a computer game...) and that's even before the DLC.

The ultimate point probably is that they're both amazing games but only one can be your first, and that for many people higher peaks and deeper valleys overall make for a more compelling experience. I prefer my edges slightly more sanded-down though.

I liked Lost Izalith bosses, sure the end boss was gimmicky and boring, but not unfair. Also, I loved the gaping dragon fight! Probably one of my favourite in the game. Still, I finally got my controller fix so I'll be playing DS2 this week :D

I liked Lost Izalith bosses, sure the end boss was gimmicky and boring, but not unfair. Also, I loved the gaping dragon fight! Probably one of my favourite in the game. Still, I finally got my controller fix so I'll be playing DS2 this week :D

Good to hear you got it working

Still, I finally got my controller fix so I'll be playing DS2 this week :D

Great! I'd be happy to make another character and do some co-oping, if you're up for that. Not so many other people in our timezone on this forum :P

I would be interested in that! Not sure when I'll get chance though - my work is kicking my ass and will be until August. Maybe add me on Steam and if the planets align coop will ensue. Never done coop before so it should be cool!

Steam ID is Griddleok or Griddlelol. I forget which one. 

I just realized that Sif the great grey wolf is probably a lady, just going by the name, since Sif is a norse goddess. Which was interesting, not because the fact itself is meaningful, but because I was surprised that I was surprised that sif might not be male, that was just my default assumption. That is a detail of no import at all to the game, and the game, so far as I can tell, never even uses a pronoun to refer to Sif, but I found it interesting just because of how it made me question my assumptions.

Anyway, I now have a strong Sif Is a girl agenda. Please help spread the word.

There's definitely a fan contingent that believes she is a female.  We could wage a wiki war and start fixing all the wikis.  My default assumption was male for a long time until I saw someone point out origin of the Sif name and that she's never given a gender in game.  As that's the case, I lean towards female.

Oh gawd, I'm refreshing my memory about some of the stuff I read about this a couple of years ago and this is hilarious and expectedly awful.  People complaining about how gross it would be to have a giant dog dick flopping around in that fight.  There's also a lovely, "I don't know how much you know about wolves, but I'm an expert and you would never call a female wolf Great" poster. 

There's definitely a fan contingent that believes she is a female.  We could wage a wiki war and start fixing all the wikis.  My default assumption was male for a long time until I saw someone point out origin of the Sif name and that she's never given a gender in game.  As that's the case, I lean towards female.

Oh gawd, I'm refreshing my memory about some of the stuff I read about this a couple of years ago and this is hilarious and expectedly awful.  People complaining about how gross it would be to have a giant dog dick flopping around in that fight.  There's also a lovely, "I don't know how much you know about wolves, but I'm an expert and you would never call a female wolf Great" poster. 

I'm sad I missed all this amazing drama now. It sounds great, for sure. Very good stuff.

People complaining about how gross it would be to have a giant dog dick flopping around in that fight.

Wait why would that be gross.  :eyebrow:

A google search for "dicks in video games" was not nearly as entertaining as I had hoped.  Although it did result in finding this quote (no link, it's funnier just by itself):

Mario - Only one thing can be said about our little overalled plumber…. He’s the Ron Jeremy of gaming.

I was thinking I had played one game that had a demon with a giant schlong, but then I realized I was remembering the movie "This is the End".

Has there even been a mainstream game with full frontal nudity on a dude?  This probably deserves its own thread. 

A google search for "dicks in video games" was not nearly as entertaining as I had hoped.  Although it did result in finding this quote (no link, it's funnier just by itself):

I was thinking I had played one game that had a demon with a giant schlong, but then I realized I was remembering the movie "This is the End".

Has there even been a mainstream game with full frontal nudity on a dude?  This probably deserves its own thread. 

well there is that one Persona/Demon that is in the Persona/SMT games. http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Mara

also searching for that (I did't remember the name so I searched for "persona dick chariot") also yielded http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eirikr/lists/top-ten-genital-demons-in-shin-megami-tensei/15347/

Didn't one of the GTA4 episode thingers have a dude dong up on the screen.

Yes, one of them did!  I had forgot about that.  Found this article on Kotaku about gamers obsession with making dicks in games.  So there's that.  It's actually kind of a dumb, if funny, article.  I'd like to take a couple of the experts to task for some of the assumptions they make. 

What have I done to this thread?

Speaking of Sif, I need to order this poster some day. And I'm not even a poster person.

il_570xN.466484445_cx5x.jpg