Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Well...it's similar as in my control input was fucked up. So I guess not very similar. Tried any other controllers?

Don't have any other controllers, but I know this one works for every other game just like it should work. So maybe it's broken but only in a very specific way that only surfaces with Dark Souls?

Also reinstalling didn't fix it.

I'm sad.

Good news! I was wrong!

Between when I finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (LESS THAN A WEEK AGO) and now, my controller's left control stick pooped itself. So it is the controller. I've ordered an Xbone controller because the drivers were just released today. Convenient!

Soon...

Nice! I'm glad you will be able to play it after all. This is great news. great news.

Unless they changed the D-pad to not be segmented, I hate it on principle. Nothing hurts my thumb more.

I can't beat either Kalameet or Manus, Hand of Fate. I feel like I don't even have a chance on either. I can hit Kalameet a few times before I die and I can hit Manus a bunch as long as I manage to summon Sif, but then he starts casting his magic after a while and that's when I lose (I have the silver pendant!).

Up until this point, I've done everything on my own (save Knight Astoria, who I think I could've managed on my own eventually, but decided to summon some help, which worked out well) and with the same build (one hand on shield, one hand on uchigatana). I don't know if I should just switch to two-handed? I've gotten used to blocking most attacks, so I'm worried adapting to full on rolling at this point will be too hard.

I suppose I could be fighting them too soon, but it more just feels like these bosses are exceptionally difficult, pattern-wise. Especially Manus' ridiculous five hit combo that I can never dodge because the first attack is super fast. Kalameet just kills me because I have trouble hitting him.

Help!

Kalameet was the hardest boss in the game for me, so I can't offer much advise on that.

For Manus, I had more luck rolling through his spells than I ever did with the pendant. The time I beat him I got in close when he got below 50% health and DPS'd him down as fast as I could. He ended up only getting one spell off. Lots of stamina regen, and armor that deflects magic (or dark? I forget what the resist stats in DS1 look like.)

Well I decided to go explore the Duke's Archives more (i.e. past the crystal golem that got me into Oolacile) and I am not a fan of this place. It's very boring and I don't like how every other room looks the same with walls lined with books. Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for Seath. He does an AOE attack that covers the entire arena and I die and then he put me in jail so I was like "oh I'm supposed to die maybe the fight will be different next time" and then I found my way back through the library and the same thing happened.

I also hate New Londo because it's dark and I can't see anything and I hate nothing more in a video game. Though I haven't gone very deep into it past the point of opening the floodgates.

That leaves Catacombs and the demon world that I haven't tried yet.

So far I'm really disappointed with the latter half of the game. I mean I like Oolacile a lot, but those two bosses are just utterly destroying me. Mrrrhhh.

I also hate New Londo because it's dark and I can't see anything and I hate nothing more in a video game. 

Dark? You don't know what dark is. Just you wait.

Cool that sure motivates me to keep playing.

I assume you're not fighting him in the same arena, but instead you had to walk across a few invisible paths to get to him? I've never tried to go back to the same place again so I don't know if it's even possible, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Anyway, talking to various people who mention Seathe reveals that he is invicible for a reason. You do have to loose to him in the first fight, but in the second fight you can....

Destroy the Primordial Crystal at the back of the arena. which then makes him vulnerable.

High curse resist helps a ton for this fight, which you can agument with certain rings and armor, or by carrying extra humanity (up to 30, but personally I wouldn't risk that much.)

No I'm fighting him in the same arena. I just read up on it and I have to get to the crystal caves I guess. So I need to more thoroughly explore the archives, hah. I'll get back to it later. It's good to know I'm not SUPPOSED to fight him there because that would be the worst thing.

No I'm fighting him in the same arena. I just read up on it and I have to get to the crystal caves I guess. So I need to more thoroughly explore the archives, hah. I'll get back to it later. It's good to know I'm not SUPPOSED to fight him there because that would be the worst thing.

I could have sworn I went back to the first "arena" and Seath was gone, but maybe I just imagined it myself once I read that the first fight is unwinnable, because what would be dumber than having an invincible "boss" waiting there to kill you over and over? Yeah, deeper into the Archives and into the Caves. If you're not interested in exploring, the path to Seath is actually pretty quick and straightforward. New Londo is the same, once you drain the water.

I died to the boss of New Londo enough to figure out a path through the level that would only take a minute or two to get back to the fog wall.

Edit: Sorry for botching that spoiler, I hope I didn't ruin anything for you.

Nah I'd already read that anyway Dewar, or skimmed it or something. It's no big deal.

I'm just being a baby because I'm not a huge fan of most of these areas. I know where I missed the path, now. I'll get back to it soon enough.

Gormongous: He definitely straight up murdered me a second time, heh. If you go back there after killing him later, the room's empty with some cool stuff I guess. (I spoiled myself a lot I guess.)

The Archives with the wierd dancing trident dudes was one of the harder zones for me. It didn't help that I was getting invaded constantly.

I enjoyed the archives the first time, running up and down staircases and getting tied up in knots trying to figure out where to go. Now it's just two big, awkward rooms for me to leg it through.

I can't beat either Kalameet or Manus, Hand of Fate. I feel like I don't even have a chance on either. I can hit Kalameet a few times before I die and I can hit Manus a bunch as long as I manage to summon Sif, but then he starts casting his magic after a while and that's when I lose (I have the silver pendant!).

Up until this point, I've done everything on my own (save Knight Astoria, who I think I could've managed on my own eventually, but decided to summon some help, which worked out well) and with the same build (one hand on shield, one hand on uchigatana). I don't know if I should just switch to two-handed? I've gotten used to blocking most attacks, so I'm worried adapting to full on rolling at this point will be too hard.

I suppose I could be fighting them too soon, but it more just feels like these bosses are exceptionally difficult, pattern-wise. Especially Manus' ridiculous five hit combo that I can never dodge because the first attack is super fast. Kalameet just kills me because I have trouble hitting him.

Help!

You may be trying them too early. I only attempted them after I had cleared everything else in the game except the final boss. And even then they were tough. Kalameet was definitely incredibly difficult for me, and Artorias only slightly less so. Bizarrely, Manus was really easy for me, and I beat him without summons on my second try. I have very little insight as to why.

The margins for error on their fights are very small, so the only way to get them right is practice really. I would try a few runs on Kalameet a night until I got frustrated (~30 mins or so). I think I beat hear on my third night. 

Manu's combo attack is signalled by a roar, if you listen for that you should be able to avoid it. As for Kalameet, I think the best times to hit him is when he does his flame breath attacks. I try to stay quite far away from him and sprint in for hits when I can. When you're close it's hard to see what he's about to do.

I did it! I beat Dark Souls!

I even beat Manus and Kalameet!

Kalameet was actually really easy once I realized that unlike most big bosses, it's ideal to stay AWAY from him as much as possible and hit him after specific attacks instead of trying to stay under him and dish out as much damage as possible. Also, I laughed out loud when I realized my reward for beating him was a ring that makes me take twice as much damage. Nice game!

I wish I'd been able to get more of the tail weapons. I think I missed three. Seath, Priscilla, and Kalameet. That's what NG+ is for I guess? I don't know. I started NG+ and made it through the Asylum in like five minutes and then quit. I dunno if I care enough to play through the game over again, but that was a fun way to prove I'm not complete shit at the game, anymore, at least.

I did it! I beat Dark Souls!

I even beat Manus and Kalameet!

Kalameet was actually really easy once I realized that unlike most big bosses, it's ideal to stay AWAY from him as much as possible and hit him after specific attacks instead of trying to stay under him and dish out as much damage as possible. Also, I laughed out loud when I realized my reward for beating him was a ring that makes me take twice as much damage. Nice game!

I wish I'd been able to get more of the tail weapons. I think I missed three. Seath, Priscilla, and Kalameet. That's what NG+ is for I guess? I don't know. I started NG+ and made it through the Asylum in like five minutes and then quit. I dunno if I care enough to play through the game over again, but that was a fun way to prove I'm not complete shit at the game, anymore, at least.

Congratulations! It's great to hear. Do you want to regale us with your ultimate build?

Regarding tail weapons, I got them all in NG and then tried to do the same in NG+. The only two I decided weren't worth it were Seath and Kalameet, the former because it's so hard to hit the tip of his tale in that small chamber and the latter because I tanked him for forty minutes straight without him putting his tail down in reach of my claymore so I said fuck it. I actually ended up chopping off Seath's tail by accident after giving up, but Kalameet's tail is so not worth it. None of the dragon tails are, except for charm points, because they're so heavy and don't scale. The Everlasting Dragon tail is a lark for how cool it looks, at least.

I didn't want the weapons to use them, really. Just to have them.

My build was a one handed uchigatana and a medium shield (of whatever type of defense I needed - or the grass crest shield for the stamina regen), plus eastern armor. It wasn't anything special. In combat I used a mix of blocking and rolling. I used the pharis bow when it made sense. I started dipping into pyromancy near the end, but not for bosses.

As I was nearing the end of the game I couldn't wait for it to be over. It took me about 55 hours? But now that it's over I want nothing more but to play more. I'm hoping DS2 has a daily or flash sale. I've heard it's not as good as DS1 for various reasons, but I don't think that'd stop me from enjoying it to its fullest.

I think I have probably talked you to death about dark souls on irc, as is my wont, but yeah, I think you will enjoy 2 for sure. Hopefully it will go on sale.