Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Inter-railing and stuff

Hello all! Long time no speak.

In September-ish time I will be inter-railing around Europe with a friend, possibly two (although since the second possible friend is Ginger, the chances are he'll drop out).

I'd like to visit Budapest, and I'm always up for spending more time in Berlin. Croatia would be nice, as would lots of France and Southern Italy. Anyway, basically it would be cool if some of you chaps had recommendations for places to swing by, stuff to check out, or even sofas to crash on or back gardens in which I can pitch my tent. I'm interested in everything, from winsome countryside to cool places to hang out in towns, and local dishes and all sorts of awesome things like that.

Also places to avoid - I am at my MOST LIKELY TO BE MURDERED at 24. Women in their mid-20s and murder are like totally synonymous.

YAY. Also hi again.

I live in Dutchland and there are plenty of nice museums to check out. Also, Amsterdam. I can probably get you a place to sleep, but it'd be in the Zwolle area. Luckily, although I'm an axe murderer (no I'm not WINK!!) you don't fit my MO. Gingers, however, do; so I would probably murder your friend, because, you know, gingers...

Welcome back Yufster!!!

Well, about Finland I can't say much, hmm September time I guess Lapland would look really nice with ruska (autumn colors) and the nature up the should be seen by everyone at least once in their life.

But anyways looks like you are mostly going to travel in central/south/eastern Europe so I'm not much of use to advice.

Prague and Krakow are beautiful towns and absolutely worth seeing at least once in your life.

I'm not going to help you in any way whatsoever, though.

Welcome back, Yufster!

I'll help by staying away from Southern Europe and not getting in you way. Here's a tip, though: remember to exchange your pounds sterling for euros!

I'm not much help, but Budapest is awesome. Especially if you're a carnivore foodie. They do a lot of game (boar, rabbit) and they do this deep fried goose liver (not gavage-fattened like foie gras, just regular liver) with apple sauce. Yum. Also rooms were cheap (at least they were when I went ~5 years ago). I got a room from a random tout at the train station which was way nicer than and cost less than the hostels I'd stayed at in Prague or Vienna.

In September-ish time I will be inter-railing around Europe with a friend, possibly two (although since the second possible friend is Ginger, the chances are he'll drop out).

I'd like to visit Budapest, and I'm always up for spending more time in Berlin. Croatia would be nice, as would lots of France and Southern Italy. Anyway, basically it would be cool if some of you chaps had recommendations for places to swing by, stuff to check out, or even sofas to crash on or back gardens in which I can pitch my tent. I'm interested in everything, from winsome countryside to cool places to hang out in towns, and local dishes and all sorts of awesome things like that.

Also places to avoid - I am at my MOST LIKELY TO BE MURDERED at 24. Women in their mid-20s and murder are like totally synonymous.

YAY. Also hi again.

Hi there! I'm one of the newer Thumbs, so I've not run across your name before. So, pleased to make your acquaintance! I do stupid remixes.

I have nothing to contribute here, but it's awesome to see you, Yufster! Welcome back!

Yes, Miffy, everyone from the days of yore should come back now. With the podcast over, the new and unsavory members have stopped posting, while everyone who is new and super savory (like Snooglebum here for instance) has stuck around post podcast! Also the new posts are no longer at an alarming rate and have become steady, which is nice.

It's a win-win!

Let me tell you, there's nothing shriveled about Snoogles.
...That sounds horrible, and I'm trying to figure out why.

YAY. Also hi again.

Hah, what a strange coincidence. A few friends and I are also Inter-railing it up this Summer. I think we're leaving June 2nd or something though, which is a little different. I'll have to find the list of countries we want to hit, and I'll let you know!

There are also plenty of problems with our journey that my friends don't seem to understand, but hey -- who am I to argue? I just don't think a day and a half/two days per country is a feasible idea...

Still, it's a crazy cool idea. Good to see I'm not the only one thinking of doing this. :tup:

There are also plenty of problems with our journey that my friends don't seem to understand, but hey -- who am I to argue? I just don't think a day and a half/two days per country is a feasible idea...:

That's one of the reasons why I didn't go inter-railing when most of my schoolfriends did. That, and they came back with stories of getting drunk and losing shoes and passing out in baths. I suppose if that's what you're going for, 2 days or less is all you want to spend in a country!

Although, to be serious, the whole inter-rail thing does inspire the checklist mentality, and I suppose that's what it's good for. Sample a bit of everything in a short amount of time, go back for a longer stretch at another time.

Hello Yufster! I'd recommend Finland. I've been there in the summer and it is beautiful, especially Hanko on a clear and sunny day. Same with Tallinn, Estonia. Although I suppose the south of Europe is more enticing, and I guess you have to make a decision between the Baltic and the Mediterranean, and that's not exactly an even fight.

Just as someone who would like to take another trip to anywhere in Europe some day, is inter-railing then considered a cheaper form of traveling cross country there? How much leeway is there at stops as far as time to fool around or see what's going on locally from you? Am I far off in imagining it this way?

Just as someone who would like to take another trip to anywhere in Europe some day, is inter-railing then considered a cheaper form of traveling cross country there? How much leeway is there at stops as far as time to fool around or see what's going on locally from you? Am I far off in imagining it this way?

Did you play The Last Express?

Do not listen to them, The Last Express has nothing to do with Interrail at all.

...Have you seen Under Siege 2?

I also recommend Pragues sttongly.

If you're around Paris or the East part of France from some reason, reason, take a trip to Colmar and Metz which is awesome in winter (respectively 1 hour and 2 hours from Paris)

In the South, I reckon that Carcassone is the best medieval city you can find and on your way, you can stop in Dordogne - birthplace of any good food in France including foi gras, Bergerace wine and awesome 'peasant' recipes.

You could stop in Bordeaux for a few days, enjoy food on a one day trip to Perigueux or Sarlat and, another day, you could also check out the Dune du Pyla on the Atlantic shore (it's an hour from Bordeaux).

From there to Italy, maybe you can stop in :

• Sanary-sur-Mer [the nicest small town around my god-awful hometown Toulon]
  • Le Thoronet Abbey
  • the awesome Aix-en-Provence which is safe and has interesting stuff happening all the time on the account of it being a student town
  • Antibes which has a kickass Picasso museum and a good Jazz festival in July.

I you can take a trip to Corsica, say so, I'll have some more suggestions - some of those might require a car rental though.

I wish I could help you in you couch crashing, backyard camping scheme but I'm not in France anymore... hop this helped though.