toblix

Games of 2011

So this is a pretty sweet list of games scheduled to be released this year. Every year I find a thread like this and go "holy shit, this is going to be the best year ever!" I wonder how many of these will be 2012 games.

Lets see. I'm really looking forward to at least Tropico 4, Diablo 3, Beyond Good and Evil 2 (2011 really?), Deus Ex 3, Portal 2 and Mass Effect 3 (not in the list), but I do hope that some of the games that don't feature a number in their title, such as Dust, will turn out great as well.

Quite promising list indeed.

Those bastards! Can't they take a break once in a while? I'm still trying to work through games from over a decade ago!

Actually, I often feel the same excitement when I see the list of films being released in a given year... but what tends to happen is a lot of them turn out to be pants.

Of course, if the image is anything to go by, we should all be pre-ordering Secret Files 3: The Archimedes Code right now!

Actually, in all seriousness, Age of Empires Online looks the prettiest game there to me. Lovely!

The spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper fills me with such terrible hope that I fear it. I can scarcely contemplate it being great, because if it is great, it may ruin me. But on the other hand, if it isn't, my soul might just lay down and die.

Similar feelings about the "Project Dust" or whatever it's being called now that is the spiritual successor to Populous.

Diablo 3 will be released in 2011?!

It would be pretty sweet. Maybe Blizzard will do a Sega style "available...... now!" at Blizzcon.

The spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper fills me with such terrible hope that I fear it. I can scarcely contemplate it being great, because if it is great, it may ruin me. But on the other hand, if it isn't, my soul might just lay down and die.

Similar feelings about the "Project Dust" or whatever it's being called now that is the spiritual successor to Populous.

Thiiiiiiiiisssssssss. All of it.

Q4 2011 will easily become Q1 2012. Specially for companies like Blizzard and Valve.

Slightly following those Jagged Alliance projects and Xenonauts.

DNF, Rage, Portal 2 lead up the FPS scene in 2011 for me. Not going to play any other new FPS games this year. BG&E2 will never come in 2011.

From Dust is one interesting case there on that list.

I think there a lot of games missing from that list that I would be interested, but can't seem to come up with names, damn monday...

It's missing all the Nintendo games at least and there are some highly interesting cases coming and the biggest one is the whole 3DS handheld console in one month in Japan and two months in US/Europe. It will have loads of games and for me on top is Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 3DS.

God damn, I've already got so much other stuff I know is coming out that I have to play, plus unfinished games I still have, and then this list adds in a few new games I've never heard of and think I should probably play. I'm not interested in about 50-60% of the list, but that's pretty good I think. I like how varied it is.

Also, what the hell is up with them listing Beyond Good and Evil 2 for a 2011 release?! I'm *pretty* sure that's incorrect and at best Ubisoft last year could only give us a vague notion that the game was still slowly in development. Why not just put Rayman Origins up instead?

So this is a pretty sweet list of games scheduled to be released this year. Every year I find a thread like this and go "holy shit, this is going to be the best year ever!" I wonder how many of these will be 2012 games.

Quite a few Massively Multiplayer Online Playing Games there. Are those still successful besides WoW?

Actually not that excited about most of these (the ones I am excited about, I'm dubious about whether they'll actually come out 2011), but battletech (edit: err...mechwarrior, whatever, same diff). :clap:

That had fallen off my radar.

Edited by juv3nal

Quite a few Massively Multiplayer Online Playing Games there. Are those still successful besides WoW?

Turbine games seem to do pretty well, using a free to play/microtransactions model.

As Patters said, there are some microtransactions models that are doing all right. The WoW buy a box and then pay a subscription model does seem like it's a pretty dicey proposition for a lot of games at the moment, many of them do seem to just get swept away beneath the tide of WoW. Then again, you don't have to be as successful as WoW to be profitable, so if some of the games have reasonable budgets they might still get away with it.

Publishers chase success, though, so as long as WoW sits there raking in a bazillion dollars every year they will try to do the same, even if they know they don't really have a chance.

I am This close to buying the little big planet 2 collectors edition on amazon. Not only does the game look increasingly fantastic, but it's an actual collectors edition that's not an overpriced POS. Downloadable costumes, a cool bookend, and a sackboy plushie all for just 20 dollars more then the standard edition? Sign me up.

I am This close to buying the little big planet 2 collectors edition on amazon. Not only does the game look increasingly fantastic, but it's an actual collectors edition that's not an overpriced POS. Downloadable costumes, a cool bookend, and a sackboy plushie all for just 20 dollars more then the standard edition? Sign me up.

Wait. A sackboy plushie?! Done and done.

Sorry, this is more than a week old, but I just noticed RPS's 2011 list. A lot of promising games, more than I'm comfortable with. And that's just for the PC, which is dead.