SometingStupid

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Has anybody played the demo of this yet? I just finished it and was quite impressed.

Graphics wise I was quite fond of the explosions as well as the nice colourful world, looks even more epic with all of it's greens and blues than it would if it were clouded in grey. Sure it's post-apocolyptiuc, but it still looks really nice.

Gameplay seems like an odd mix, the platforming/run/jumpy stuff felt only slightly awkward, but that might just be me, and the combat was really nice. The animations in combat really seemed to flow into each other and gave it a really nice, flowing feel to it.

The characters were also really good, incase you didn't know, this game's plot and characters are based on the old TV show, but they replaced magic with tech, demons with mechs, and pigsky (?) and the kappa dude don't exist.

Like I said, quite impressed and may pick it up based soley on it's uniqueness.

I haven't played it yet but I'm quite interested. Concept seems really cool. Monkey! In the post-apocalypse!

Everyone seems to hang out there.

Sounds interesting, especially the setting. Don't know about the gameplay of course! I'll await some reviews.

Jesus, what is this, a game about the transportation of African slaves to the Americas?

I have my concerns with the controls. There doesn't seem to be anything other then a jerking forward start

I downloaded the XBox demo but haven't played it yet - played the PS3 version at the Eurogamer Expo today. It felt.. OK. It may just be that I recently played through Bionic Commando (bad idea; nostalgia is not your friend), but the environments looked a bit samey, and the jumping seemed to be a matter of holding onto something and then trying different left stick directions while pressing X until you leap to another handhold. I like the character design, and I think the level of involvement Andy Serkis had is interesting - Monkey's movement animations are nice, albeit a bit limited so far.

Still, it's a post-apocalyptic version of Journey to the West, which is kind of awesome. It's a video game written by a quote-unquote serious writer, and I didn't get very far into the Monkey-and-Trip co-op, on which the game is likely to stand or fall. Will try the 360 demo and see how that goes...

Oh, and

apparently Pigsy turns up later

I downloaded the XBox demo but haven't played it yet - played the PS3 version at the Eurogamer Expo today. It felt.. OK. It may just be that I recently played through Bionic Commando (bad idea; nostalgia is not your friend), but the environments looked a bit samey, and the jumping seemed to be a matter of holding onto something and then trying different left stick directions while pressing X until you leap to another handhold. I like the character design, and I think the level of involvement Andy Serkis had is interesting - Monkey's movement animations are nice, albeit a bit limited so far.

Still, it's a post-apocalyptic version of Journey to the West, which is kind of awesome. It's a video game written by a quote-unquote serious writer, and I didn't get very far into the Monkey-and-Trip co-op, on which the game is likely to stand or fall. Will try the 360 demo and see how that goes...

Oh, and

apparently Pigsy turns up later

I agree with the platforming, but at the same time I don't think that much more could really be done with it unless it was Prince of Persia style. That said, it makes the platforming more linear and with less deaths, so I guess that's just a safer move for them.

That GiantBomb video that Thompson posted sorta looked into the whole Monkey/Trip co-op and their relationship. So that's quite a useful source.

Also, if that spoiler is true, then this game has already won my money.

I had a look at this at Eurogamer yesterday too (OMG Denial, we could have met!) and it seemed fairly hot. From what I gather it's based on the old Chinese legend with the Monkey King and all that but reimagined in a futuristic setting. I saw an entertaining film once with Jet Li as the Monkey King so my interest is piqued enough to buy it I reckon, especially with the good reviews. :tup:

Excellent, another game I've never heard about until it's released and that's apparently quite good.

I watched a little of this over someone's shoulder at the Eurogamer Expo, and it was one of the few things that caught my eye. The sequence was a lot of Tomb Raider style running and jumping along a huge aircraft that was falling to bits and smashing the tops off buildings. Didn't get a chance to play it, but the pacing and the aesthetics both looked wonderful.

The whole intro sequence is quite mindblowing if you're not really sure what the game is about exactly, especially when

the Statue of Liberty's torch appears out of nowhere through the clouds/fog and nearly destroys your ship

. You can now get the demo off PSN/LIVE which includes the whole thing — you will most likely be sold immediately unless you're broken. :tup:

The whole intro sequence is quite mindblowing if you're not really sure what the game is about exactly, especially when

the Statue of Liberty's torch appears out of nowhere through the clouds/fog and nearly destroys your ship

. You can now get the demo off PSN/LIVE which includes the whole thing — you will most likely be sold immediately unless you're broken. :tup:

Yup, I finally played the demo, and it's spectacular. I'm sold. Which kind of sucks because the budget is hurting already and it's barely October. Giantbomb review is great as well, really makes the game sound awesome.

Yup, I finally played the demo, and it's spectacular. I'm sold. Which kind of sucks because the budget is hurting already and it's barely October. Giantbomb review is great as well, really makes the game sound awesome.

Ninja Theory did a really great job with that demo. I really want to pick this game up also, but just don't have the funds for it yet.

I'm getting this, haven't really seen any shots or what it's about but it's Ninja Theory and after Heavenly Sword that's all I need to know.

I've only played the demo, but it did leave me wanting more. The character animations and voice acting was damned good in my opinion, even if the platforming and combat wasn't particularly deep.

I think Enslaved is going to be one of those games in which it's not really about making it to the end, but what happens as you make your way towards it. Yes, you can argue that all games are about that, but from what I've read of comments and reviews there's a lot of things happening as far as story and characterisation is considered that a lot of games these days really lack.

Not to mention the fact that the game also looks damned good. I'm not much of a graphics whore, but I don't mind games that take the "post apocalyptic" setting and turns it on its head by overgrowing it with green.

Definite buy for me.

I played the demo yesterday. The first level didn't really gave me the urge for more of it. But seeing footage from the rest of the game it does look it become more interesting. I guess it will be on my "to play" list.

The game could do with much less bloom.

Just beat this yesterday... makes a really good case for cinematic storytelling in video games. The actual moment to moment combat isn't the best in the business by any means, but it's strong enough to get you through the good story. I'd recommend giving it a try, for sure.

Got this today. Only played the first chapter, but Jesus! The torch mentioned above and the sequence where you're heading towards the skyscraper were so good.

Actually got the game and I'm a couple of chapters in.

I just saw a dog for the first time.

Really happy that the intro is indicative of the quality of the game as a whole. Well, at least is is so far!

I just played the demo. I know it's been said before, but it felt a little rails-y to me, like if someone took Tomb Raider and removed the ability to go in any direction but the correct one. Kind of "Press A to watch him do the next thing we scripted."

Still, the cinematics were spectacular, and the way they reveal that

it's taking place in New York

without stopping and saying "

THIS GAME TAKES PLACE IN NEW YORK

" was effective. Made me wish it were a movie or a comic, though.

I played the demo, and I predictably wasn't too impressed with the gameplay. I immediately thought how generic the main character was, then by the end of the demo I really liked them both. It's weird how good acting can make totally generic characters interesting and likable in games.

I just played the demo. I know it's been said before, but it felt a little rails-y to me, like if someone took Tomb Raider and removed the ability to go in any direction but the correct one. Kind of "Press A to watch him do the next thing we scripted."

Still, the cinematics were spectacular, and the way they reveal that

it's taking place in New York

without stopping and saying "

THIS GAME TAKES PLACE IN NEW YORK

" was effective. Made me wish it were a movie or a comic, though.

I think the on-rails feel was kind of necessary to produce such an impactful intro and to teach you the controls. I suspect it'll open up a bit more later on, as the videos certainly seem to suggest that.

Pretty much all games that aim for a "cinematic experience" are more or less on-rails. But that's only natural for their aim.