Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Alright, fuck it. Yoshi's Island. Insta-buy! They can just go through the SNES catalogue via the GBA remakes.

How's the friend system stuff, is it still awful or have they updated it somehow with firmware?

I'll probably feel like a jerk soon when they announce 3DS Enhance Lite or something..

Oh, last question. Anyone buy the XL version? Should I get that instead?

I can give you some definitive answers to that.

The multiplayer system, I don't know exactly. The 3DS has one single friend code, but I haven't done any online multiplayer yet. As for streetpass functions: they're AWESOME. It is insanely great to go to a convention or even just a train station, and pick up other mii's on your machine, and then trade puzzle pieces or play a cute little roleplaying game that's inherent to the system. It's super fun. The 3DS also keeps statistics on which games you've played, how long, how many steps you've walked with the device on you, it's great and actually the thing that really bound me to it after initial disappointment about lacklustre software.

Though I still hope Nintendo will eventually release a 3DS version with the second circle pad on it (because the add-on is a horrible, clunky piece of shit that diminishes the feeling that you're on a handheld machine), I doubt they'll release it in the coming year. Maybe next year. If at all. As it stands, the XL is definitely the version to go for. I don't have it and frugality prevents me from upgrading, but I hear from everyone it's superior. Bigger screens, better buttons, simpler design. It surprises me Nintendo are still producing new versions of the original 3DS - they should just push for the XL as the main machine and phase out the old one.

Alright, fuck it. Yoshi's Island. Insta-buy! They can just go through the SNES catalogue via the GBA remakes.

Please note: Although Yoshi's Island has allegedly been in the works as a 3D Classic release for ages, right now the only way to play it on 3DS is to buy a system that was purchased before the price dropped. Yoshi's Island for GBA was one of the 20 Ambassador Titles given to early adopters, and the 10 GBA games included remain Ambassador-only games. You can transfer the Ambassador status to a different 3DS, though. I plan on eventually upgrading to an XL and carrying over all of my Ambassador games.

D:

What?! Seriously, I might not buy one after all then.. None of the GBA games are available? That's pretty shit. Couldn't ambassador status just have gotten you guys the games for free, instead of never selling them ever again.. :(

There isn't a future I see where Nintendo doesn't make those classic games available for money purposes. Be patient and enjoy the fantastic library of games available at the moment. Did I mention game of the year Pullblox?

You're right! I'm dying to play some Mario again.. It's been too long.

Link's Awakening, that's available to everyone though, right?

You're right! I'm dying to play some Mario again.. It's been too long.

Link's Awakening, that's available to everyone though, right?

Yup! I think it's six dollars or something, which isn't too shabby.

Sweet! Buying this suckah!

EDIT: Bought! Along with Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart, for starters! Thanks for the answers, guys! Just looked over the list if available VC games.. I'm going to love this so much. Kirkbys, Wario Lands, Link's Awakening. So much amazing stuff, despite missing out on the Ambassador stuff.

The thing comes with a 4gb card. If I later decide to get a bigger card, is it easy enough to transfer my eShop stuff over?

The 25th Anniversary Four Swords is no longer available either, which is a damn shame even though I downloaded it in time, because I can't play it with any friends who have recently purchased a 3DS.

I mean I figured the game was just free for a limited time and then Nintendo was just going to sell it for $6-8. I did not imagine they were just going to remove it from existence.

I recently inquired into the SD card for upgrades here on the forums, and the result was that it's super easy to upgrade to a bigger card. Just buy a bigger one, move the files on a PC and pop it back in. Congrats with your purchase!

Thank you, and thank you for answering my silly questions! I'm absolutely thrilled I'll be playing a Nintendo device soon!

Let me add to this:

Resident Evil: Revelations, Kid Icarus Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, Virtue's Last Reward, and Fire Emblem: Awakening are what i'd count as the best games right now.

I think Fire Emblem: Awakening is phenomenal, it's pretty much the game on the system right now and has set the bar so high that it will likely remain so for some time. Even if you've never played this strategy RPG series before, you owe it to yourself to check this one out. (Even if you play on the permadeath-disabled casual mode.)

Virtue's Last Reward is best enjoyed after playing 999 on the DS. (Also be sure to read up on the save bug affecting VLR, it's easy to avoid but quite serious.) If you enjoy 999, you'll know if you want to play VLR.

Uprising has a weird control scheme that takes some time to get used to, but if a light-hearted loot-focused shooter sounds appealing, it can be a lot of fun.

Revelations is just a really great RE game, better than the last few main series entries even. The bonus raid mode puts it over the top with random loot drops, remixed levels, and online co-op. (Still, don't bother with Revelations if you aren't willing to get the CPP add-on.)

Super Mario 3D Land is pretty much up there with the best Mario games, it was developed by the same team as the Galaxy games.

I also really like Mario Kart 7, i think it's one of the best games in the series. (Be sure to grab the patch from the eShop.) I think Code of Princess is an awesome Treasure-influenced brawler, but it seems like opinion is sharply divided on that. The Tales of the Abyss port is nice, and the Ocarina 3D remake is also nice. (Though that came with a host of new bugs that most people probably won't notice.) The Adventure Time game is a quaint, amusing Zelda II throwback. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy is quite a lot of fun, and i loved Ridge Racer 3D. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a nice, ambitious turn-based strategy game from X-com's Julian Gollop, but it's so buggy that it becomes hard to recommend.

There's some big games coming out in the next few weeks too, like Etrian Odyssey 4 and Mirror of Fate. (Metroidvania set in the rebooted Castlevania continuity.)

^ There's actually going to be demos for both of these, the EOIV one is already up. Be sure to check out the demos section on the eShop.

Speaking of which, the eShop on the 3DS kicks ass.

A lot of good platformers, i particularly like Mighty Switch Force.

The Pushmo/Crashmo games seem like real favorites.

The Guild 01 games were all pretty cool, but Crimson Shroud is in particular quite amazing, everybody should play it.

What about New Super Mario Bros. 2? Is that any good? I liked the first one, so I figure it can't be completely awful..

I ultimately decided against playing it, but NSMB2 seems to have contributed strongly to the perception that the NSMB games are the "B-team" Mario games.

Pretty much spot on. NSMB2 is a serviceable Mario game, but nothing inspired. Go for 3D Land instead.

You know, RE: Revelations has left me traumatized. That game has some of the best RE moments ever. Seriously, there is a quantum of shining, perfect horror in there that will raise your hairs if you play it with headphones on. But I couldn't finish the game because of its insistence on crappy sub-level gameplay shit. Underwater levels, stupid action scenes in between. And when my CPP's batteries died after seven hours of play, I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I wish the game were playable with normal controls, or that Nintendo just released a 3DS with second circle pad. Right now I'm so 'out of the game', I'll probably have to replay the whole thing to get into it again, and I don't know if I could take that - replaying both the good (and scary as fuck) bits, and the bad ones. But yes, it certainly is an experience: gorgeous and at times the pinnacle of RE survival horror, easily as good as RE4.

I actually really like the diving bits, but Rev's damned insistence on continually pulling you out of the main narrative, taking away all of your upgraded items, and making you play short stints as different characters completely sucks.

As good as RE4? Hell no. Better than RE5 though, which was still a pretty good game, and i haven't played RE6, but let's say it's probably better than that too.

Also, again, raid mode totally kicks ass. I would prefer if that ends up being a mini-game that sticks, i was never a big fan of mercenaries.

I've formulated myself poorly: Revelations is by no means better than RE4, that's a laughable statement. But there are PARTS in there:

The boss fights against the weird guy in the shopping center, the fight against that scary running lady

that do measure up. RE's never been scarier. But the rest, no, poo, I hate it. That's what is conflicting me so. I want to love it, but it's so shit in some areas.

This last week I've been enjoying myself silly with what is surely another 3DS pearl that got no real attention in these parts: Theathrythm Final Fantasy.

That's not a sexy franchise to affiliate oneself with around here, and let me be the first to point to my well-established love-hate relationship with anything FF. One thing that stands above criticism, however, is its magnificent musical offering. Theatrhythm is all about exploiting that aspect. At its heart is a very simple Elite Beat Agents-esque formula where you tap along with songs on the touch screen, with three varieties of interactions (tapping, stroking and holding). Simple enough, and coupled with the strong library of music, already sufficient for a success.

Where the game really shines is in its lush details and atypical use of silly humor. The cartoon styling of all the characters and monsters is good, but it's the little touches that make the game shine. Before every song, the four people that make up your party each add to a composite yell that is randomly generated.

The most insane shit: "Off we go, stridently with great love ...I don't care."

It's full of that. The humor is really refreshing. Even the credits are a treat. Don't mistake this for some filler title - it's a really fun, loving celebration of some of the best video game music around. I wish they made this with every franchise.

I tried out the demo for Theatrhythm and it didn't really click with me, but i think i might be burnt out on rhythm games in general.

I can definitely see the appeal there though, it's very charmingly irreverent.

Speaking of demos, i'd encourage people to check out the Etrian Odyssey IV demo. There's a lot of setup in there before you can get going, but it's a cool game. Personally, i haven't played any of the EO games before, but a lot of the things i've read about IV, plus my experience with that demo, have me interested in checking it out.

There's also a demo for the 3DS version of the Monster Hunter Tri re-release that shows off a fair amount of content. Unfortunately, with the 3DS version not having any online multiplayer, the Wii U release should be the only one to even consider. (The 3DS demo doesn't seem to support the CPP either, which seems kind of insane, because Monster Hunter is literally the reason that damn thing exists.)

That Castlevania: Mirror of Fate demo should be going up in a couple of days too.

I really love how many demos are being pushed out onto the eShop for 3DS games.

Most of my 3DS time is still going to Fire Emblem though, i think Awakening is just incredible. I have all my first generation characters paired off, i've done a lot of promotions and reclassing to build up skill sets, and i've got a handle on all the spotpass/streetpass minutia. It's one of those games where i've been playing with spreadsheets open so i can plan my character builds. That is a strong, early goty for me.

Hell, there's an FEA demo on the eShop too. It's a pretty brief one though, just two short levels from the start of the game. You don't get a sense of what comprises the deeper game, but it's enough to show what the core of the game is about, if taken by somebody who hasn't played a Fire Emblem game before.

Downloading demos right now. Those are some fine offerings. I keep being amazed by the impressive jump in quality and desirability that the 3DS accomplished in the last year. Really good stuff.

I just coupled my nintendo club account to my 3DS to ensure that I can retrieve all my downloaded games, should I lose or break my machine. That's how it works, right? By linking them up, I read, you have a good chance of Nintendo helping you retrieve all the things from your account. Now, I can't seem to see any of that account online, but I'm hoping it works out. It's not quite transparent.

I honestly have no idea, i've heard plenty of conflicting stories about it. I'm fairly certain that a Club Nintendo account can't be used to recover your 3DS purchases, there's certainly no surfaced mechanism for it, though there might be some ill-defined thing Nintendo support is able to do behind the scenes.

I think it's probably more important that you write down your system's serial number somewhere. The stories i've heard, that's what people use to recover their stuff through Nintendo support. There's probably some other visible, unique identifiers buried in that system too.

Anyways, the rumor going around a while ago was that the 3DS will eventually get a firmware update that merges it in with the Wii U account structure. (However, that might just be wishful thinking, because even with the unified account structure on the Wii U, purchases are apparently still tied to the hardware and not to the account!)

Yeah, that's the only thing that's pretty shit at the moment. They should go full Steam and have a cloud-based account that just keeps track of this stuff. Still, copying down the serial number and hitching it up to your account can't hurt.

The weird thing is that Nintendo has all of the pieces in play for a universal account, but just never actually did it for some reason. Everything you buy gets linked back to your Club Nintendo account, but there's nothing you can really do with it except get "free" stuff.

Also, I picked up a 3DS XL on the weekend! It is significantly nicer than the vanilla 3DS! I'm diggin' it!

Wayforward just announced Mighty Switch Force 2.

That's cool, i'm excited about that.