toblix

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

Since I have Playstation Plus I got the whole series on PSN now and so far.... the trophies kinda make the game a bit better somehow....

Did you guys know about the secret toy in the first episode?

I don't know about the other episodes, but the trophies in the ones I've played point out stuff I haven't tried and they sound worth trying out!

The game seems kinda easirt since the cursor jumps from item to item, not to mention the game has a "hotspot reveal" button, but without a mouse I guess they had no other option?

Also, replaying the whole series changes how you view everything when you know what's really going on.

Like in the first game, when you read the note from "S" and you realize it was Sal and not Skunk Ape and I can't help but to wonder if the tumor jokes and Max's head catching on fire were foreshadowing!

Tumor and head on fire were very deliberate.

Elevator Max is from 204. It's explained in a few forum threads on the TTG forums. The timestream got fucked up when Season One Sam & Max stole the time elevator from Season Two Sam & Max when the Mariachi's spaceship was exploding. That break is mended at the end of 305 when only one of each of them is left, due to unrelated horrible tragedies.

Awesome season. Game of the Year candidate. Also I think one of the best adventure games ever made (TOP 10 at least).

I envy you guys for remembering stuff that happened in previous seasons in detail. I remember there being some time paradox, but nothing specific. Also I didn't get any references to Hit the Road, played that more than 10 years ago. Maybe I should do a Sam & Max marathon some day.

So yeah, I just got this the other day through the Playstation plus and I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's been way too long since I last played an adventure game and the sense of humour is great.

I think I'm currently about half way through episode 1 and will probably try and finish it off this weekend since I find that I forget what I'm doing if I leave it for too long :hmph:

What's great is that I'll still have 4 more episodes to look forward to after this one :D hope the humour is as good

What's great is that I'll still have 4 more episodes to look forward to after this one :D hope the humour is as good

It is. I especially liked the writing and humour in the last two episodes.

Side note: damn you iPhone for correcting humour to humor

Side note: damn you iPhone for correcting humour to humor

This is what we call soft imperialism.

Having not played much past the few episodes of Season 1, and none of Season 2 at all, I was infinitely confused by the ending of Season 3. Still I think I understand this time loop more than Lost's.

I really appreciate that it didn't end in a bunch of repetitive dialogue and animations this time. I think if you played through the season as a whole the tempo would be perfect.

Having not played much past the few episodes of Season 1, and none of Season 2 at all, I was infinitely confused by the ending of Season 3. Still I think I understand this time loop more than Lost's.

I really appreciate that it didn't end in a bunch of repetitive dialogue and animations this time. I think if you played through the season as a whole the tempo would be perfect.

The time loop was explained by Jake a few posts a few posts ago.

The time loop was explained by Jake a few posts a few posts ago.
Yeah I know. The explanation was more confusing than just knowing that it was a time elevator though. Still, makes more sense than sideways purgatory world.

Just finished Season 3 after going through the other two. Top notch work all around. I was surprised at how much the game had changed from the last two seasons. Loved all the time altering mechanics, and the Max toy stuff (the 1st person stuff had a Bioshocky feel). I was full of joy from the moment I saw Sam with the popsicle.

Anyhoo, I loved it, and I'll miss

Stinky and Sal

in future seasons. I was a big fan of really suspicious but not really evil girl Stinky. I also thought Skunkape was super funny on his delivery, especially the moleman speech in episode 1. It made me really glad to have played the game mostly without subtitles, although I did switch it on when some lines didn't work.

I've had a policy of playing these games after the season has been completely released, since I played season 1 of Sam & Max one at a time. I think I'll be sticking with it, especially with how newer seasons seem to have more connections between episodes.

One thing confused me about the ending. I'm still not sure why past paradox Max had to use the time elevator, if both S&M pairs were existing at the same time. It made me think it was a completely new unrelated Max. I guess he might have lost past paradox Sam in the past, and then time traveled to a point in the future when future paradox Sam was alone, but wouldn't future paradox Sam remember the electromagnetic monster Sam if it is meant to take place in the same timeline? I'm over-thinking this aren't I.

One thing confused me about the ending. I'm still not sure why past paradox Max had to use the time elevator, if both S&M pairs were existing at the same time. It made me think it was a completely new unrelated Max. I guess he might have lost past paradox Sam in the past, and then time traveled to a point in the future when future paradox Sam was alone, but wouldn't future paradox Sam remember the electromagnetic monster Sam if it is meant to take place in the same timeline? I'm over-thinking this aren't I.

Probably over-thinking it, but who knows. If another Max had just walked up, I think it would have been even more mind-boggling to people than it already was when he came out of a time machine. When a previously-presumed-dead character comes out of a crazy hissing glowey sci-fi door, there is some implied "oh whatever" handwaving that you don't get when they just walk up on the street. Admittedly with Sam & Max it's probably not much of an issue either way. I think the implication is that it's in a different timeline, though, if you want to get down to it. We don't particularly know where Season One Sam & Max went after they stole the time machine from Season Two Sam & Max in Chariots of the Dogs, but also I hope people don't particularly care other than "somewhere else on their own crazy adventure."

I can't help but admit that I was really pleased with that ending. I think it's a little too cheesy for Sam & Max, but the comics aren't afraid of a few seconds of genuine emotion here and there (especially when its about the safety of either Sam or Max), and they're also not afraid of a completely unfair, ridiculously hand-waved deus ex machina to get Sam & Max out of the tightest spots, so being able to combine both of those into the last beat of the season made me a happy person. I don't know if we actually earned anything in that ending with what came before but it was fun to make, and to finally get a moment like that into the series, even if its at the very end.

I definitely felt genuine pride, happiness and sadness in the game's ending, and I'm still sad

that max prime is gone

for what that's worth.

... to finally get a moment like that into the series, even if its at the very end.

D:!

(I am sure that's not what you meant to imply RIGHT?!?)

As I said, I have a coworker who insisted upon watching me play through every single episode of Sam and Max as they came out, and she was nearly in tears

watching Sam walk the streets alone at the end of the final episode

. Considering she knows nothing about the comics or the cartoon, I'd say that you had an impact there, yeah. Also, I'm with Twig on being appalled by the implications of that sentence.

My friends suggest me to play Telltale, I don't know much about this video game. But heard a lot about S&M. So looking forward for it.

Edited by Jake

My friends suggest me to play Telltale, I don't know much about this video game. But heard a lot about S&M. So looking forward for it.
I bet you're looking forward to some S&M but what I really want to know is whether there's a website out there I could go to for information on international freight. Any advice there?

That's so awesome. Man, I really feel like mailing something. If only there was an international freighting service that was only a click away.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

So, it's been almost 10 months. Is there a reason why the DVD isn't available yet?