gdf

Plug your shit

the sky and water texture looks weird, especially with the high detailed ground

Yeah I like the IDEA of the sky and water looking like that, but the geometry of the terrain makes it look jarring and weird. Maybe that's your intention, I dunno. I'm not a huge fan though. U:

Then again like elmuerte said it could just be the ground texture. It does seem to be much more detailed than anything else.

EDIT: That said, I liked the sky a lot more in the first screenshot, with the diner.

No the way it works is that every puzzle can be brought to the car's trunk, thus simplifying the process of trying every item on it.

You just do donuts in the parking lot until the items all get mixed together?

You just do donuts in the parking lot until the items all get mixed together?

I came CLOSE to spitting coffee on my keyboard.

This is such a great idea I want someone to make it.

Well if they're not all displayed at the same RELATIVE size that doesn't really matter, does it? I mean I may be wrong, but I see a lot of tiling in the ground texture, and I see none in the sky, which seems to imply that even though the texture size is the same, they're displayed differently. (I once knew the proper terms for these things, but I've since forgotten them.)

Yeah you're right, "too detailed" still made me chuckle though. I will respond further in a bit, i guess I have a plane to catch to Seattle woo

Any of you guys had issues over trademarks, domain names, social media profiles etc. relating to your games?

So due to some laxness on my part I'm having to change my company name, redo my logos and all that horrible crap again.

Having to do it once more has reminded me how horrifically painful the whole thing is. First you try and think of something that matches what you want your company stands for. Then you check the various trademark organisations, then you check all the social media sites and give every possible variation a good google.

If your lucky you come up clean, but most of the time there's something.

For instance of the half dozen names it got my replacement list to my favourite on seems to have been used by someone who never bothered to trademark it over 3 years ago for a company which seems to have vanished of the map apart from a dead website.

Is there anyone out there who's actually gone through the whole trademark thing in a relatively painless fashion?

one of the things i did tonight was mess around with ultra low res foliage. it's actually the same grass from influx but way downrezzed

this level has also been completely remade on account of moving to unreal engine 4 but hopefully it looks pretty much the same

12181413455_e5e1ccf54a_b.jpg12182031156_e5c3bcd85c_b.jpg

I like it, but I think there is still some issues with the ground texture you're using. Especially now with the low-res foliage, it is very polarizing. 

I think the issue is just that you lose the pixelated effect on anything far away for obvious reasons. Not really sure how to deal with that

Yea, that latest screen shot has much better looking ground. You've clearly managed to tighten up the graphics.

Also, the overall style of these is totally my jam. Keep it up!

I think the issue is just that you lose the pixelated effect on anything far away for obvious reasons. Not really sure how to deal with that

I think what you've done looks much better. It is a shame that distance and MIP mapping causes the pixellated effect to be lost over distance. I have thought of one way you could solve it, however it could be very difficult to implement. Essentially, I'm thinking that the further away from the camera the texture is, the larger the pixellation effect. This would counter the blurring and look pretty sweet in its own right. I did a basic Photoshop mock-up by just applying pixellation on a gradient:

pixellated-ground.png

How you'd do it is beyond me, though. Is MIP mapping capable of literally switching up textures over distance, like how model LODs work? If you handled it carefully you could probably build the illusion of a gradient that way.

Anyway, just an idea.  :getmecoat

Presumably you could write your own mipmap generator and mess with the scaling algorithm until it gives you good results. Dunno what that would end up looking like, especially as you mix in AF, but it might be worth a try.

Is anyone here a lawyer and able to tell me of the legalities of selling an art book collecting my series of adventure game illustrations? I gather it's quite illegal (as are the prints I already sell) but just wondering if anyone has any solid advice on this. Is it more or less illegal if there's a tagline below each one, with the character name, game name and year of release? (e.g. Ben Throttle - Full Throttle (1995) )

I really want to do this thing, but am worried of consequences.

I wouldn't want to get sued by Disney, yeah?

EDIT: No, toblix. You are not a lawyer. Stop typing!

Dan always recommends twitter.com/AGTutty and twitter.com/ALGChapman for video game law (although the video game aspect isn't really important, they would probably know anyway...)

I'd guess you might be able to find a way, as you get coffee table books of film posters by Olly Moss types in Forbidden Planet now, which I assume they didn't have to get all the rights for...

Yeah, I've had AGTutty's twitter page open for hours now, but I'm afraid of it being improper to ask him for free advice.. Maybe I should just do it.