Wurtsi

Flotilla

That was a better response (in that it was an actual response). Thanks.

Yeah sorry, I didn't want to just start going out with the verbal diarrhea if you weren't interested and I get self conscious when I do long posts.

My puffins keep getting flanked by the bandit penguins! Help!

I'm telling ya, who knew penguins were such badasses of the universe. The next time I see a penguin I'm going to punch it in it's smug ass face in hopes to change the inevitable future where humans just get raped by those SOBs in space.

I've been able to take them one when I have a large enough flotilla, but meeting them early on is hell; I just with they would stop changing what planet penguin country is so I know not to go there, lol. (I don't wish that, but I seem to run into it a lot)

I doubt you'll find penguins on the white planets. Just choosing white ones will give you a mellower experience.

I HATE MOTHERFUCKING BEAM FRIGATES!!!

Also: The music is wonderful. Love it. Didn't expect it to be nearly as atmospheric as it is. I'm on my 9th adventure at this point. I have survived 2 of my previous 8. Still, it's really cool that I keep seeing things that I've never seen before after all this time playing it. I am a fan. Thank you for bringing my attention to this game, forum/podcast.

I doubt you'll find penguins on the white planets. Just choosing white ones will give you a mellower experience.

If it's one thing I'm looking for in a space adventure game whos core mechanic is combat is a mellower experience. :blink:

But yeah, I figured out the white/red thing pretty early, but I can do alright against a lot of reds, but the penguins so far have been the toughest for me for whatever reason.

Miffy: What's your prob with beam frigates? Hate using them or hate fighting them? I just tend to spiral around them vertically because they can never catch up and fire(assuming I don't have a flank)

Using them though, I'd try to get my hands on a speed boost and armor or health regen systems; seems to make them a lot more effective.

Ah, so there's a tactical thing that I'm missing here. The key thing to realize is that I completely suck at strategy games and usually get my ass kicked right quick. I will take your advice to heart next play.

Just tried the demo. It just feels like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space in 3d with really shitty camera controls. Like... really bad. Bad enough to make me give up pretty quickly because I could never get the camera in a good enough position to work out how close my ships were to the enemy. What aren't I getting?
I had the same experience. It sounds like the perfect game for me, but I got frustrated quickly. Did you guys had to 'learn' the controls as well? Has it a lot to do with knowing how to handle and/or process UnrealED or some other editor (as sugessted in the cast, I think), am I just doing something wrong, is my brain too dumb?

In other words: any tips? Due to camera control issues I had problems figuring out where my ships were and where they had to move in relation to the asteroids and the enemy ships.

I had the same experience. It sounds like the perfect game for me, but I got frustrated quickly. Did you guys had to 'learn' the controls as well? Has it a lot to do with knowing how to handle and/or process UnrealED or some other editor (as sugessted in the cast, I think), am I just doing something wrong, is my brain too dumb?

In other words: any tips? Due to camera control issues I had problems figuring out where my ships were and where they had to move in relation to the asteroids and the enemy ships.

Yeah I dunno, might have something to do with me working in unreal and 3d aps, but I didn't find aproble,

I do find the camera a bit wonky some times though, especially when you start moving to extreme verticles it'll snap out closer to where the battle started so I have a lot of zooming and stuff to do. It'd be nice if theycould snap it to the ships when your turn starts or give us a frame key to frame in on any thing you have selected.

I noticed its been tracking debris from broken ships, but has anyone had a situation where the debris hits another ship causing damage? I haven't, so I'm just wondering if it could, since it's tracking it with a little line and circle.

That'd be pretty awesome if it did, I'd like to see that extended to astroids as well. think of them as destroyable cover and creates a frag grenade if they're destroyed causing massive chaos to anything near.

Yeah, actually. In my tutorial fight of all things, I got waaaay too close to an exploding enemy and had half my health taken down by their debris hitting me. It happens. Haven't seen it since, but I've gotten better at doing things from a distance.

During a particularly boring day at work I just ran into Mr.Horners Corners and screwed up his panda bear shipment....

I went on the indie games and was sooo happy to find that there is an X360 version.

Admittedly the twin stick mechanic doesn't work very well but I'm having a blast.

I went on the indie games and was sooo happy to find that there is an X360 version.

HOLY SHIT.

Admittedly the twin stick mechanic doesn't work very well but I'm having a blast.

Downloading the trial now. I'll see how the controls are; if they're too awkward, I'll stick with the PC version.

First XBLIG game I bought without trying the demo. I just get excited when there's something on there that looks like a real game.

Man, played quite a bit of it now and it really is awesome. I get what Mr. Remo means by the satisfying 'Ting' sound they make when you score a good hit. And how painful it can be to successfully maneuver them there.

Well played sir, developer dude, for considering that some of us infidels prefer their gaming on a console.

That was a better response (in that it was an actual response). Thanks.

And yes it was inaccurate to nail it down to specific studios. My main point indeed had more to do with general evolution, and I was calling various examples (not particularly representative, as it turns out) to mind.

I think that you were correct on the general trend. As time goes by the general trend is that things become more fucked up.

I envision a future in which we are hunted down by robotic anthropomorphic animal/furry real doll terminators wearing nothing but assless leather chaps and speaking like Ahnold on helium. This both scares me and makes me happy with laugher, and I see it as perhaps a slightly better apocalypse than some.

I much prefer an apocalypse that can make me laugh than one that will only make me cry (so begins the countdown to the apocalypse of tears..."YOU WILL LAUGH TILL YOU CRY, AND THEN YOU DIE!").

Wow, I'm horrible.

This game is beautiful :)

The camera doesn't give me much trouble, but then again I'm used to UnrealEd and also helicopters in GTA.

Has anyone run into any humans? I think I may have, but wasn't paying attention.

As well as your crew, you can easily end up fighting your

former navigation officer

if you

eject her pet baby yetis from the airlock instead of defanging them.

I HATE MOTHERFUCKING BEAM FRIGATES!!!

Stay well back out of range. Split your destroyers with flank maneuvers, one above the enemy, one below, and at least one of them will be able to hit each beam frigate on the underside with focus fire as they approach. Always focus fire if a ship is in a good position, as you sometimes get lucky hits even on top/front armour.

Sometimes the AI will get confused and turn a ship so the underside faces each alternately. If you have a third ship, you can use it as bait. If that third ship is a beam frigate, you can send it in for kills ones focus fire from your missiles has depleted their health a bit. Having a health regen upgrade on beam frigates or the huge things with double beams also makes them great bait/close attack.

This kind of strategy will let you beat 5 ships with 3 fairly easily, just watch the underside of the one you send upward.

Yeah was having one of those off days at work commenting in the thread about the humans, lol.

I really want a steam version so I can play at work during lunch though. I haven't got good enough to get a battleship yet though(if its possible?) I'd love one of those though. Just beam ships, destroyers, dreadnaughts(losts of fun) so far.

It's been worth my ten bucks for sure, but I'd just love either new win conditions, different variety of ships, or a higher level injection of d2 gameplay where I can infinitly play the same character.

During a particularly boring day at work I just ran into Mr.Horners Corners and screwed up his panda bear shipment....

:tup::tup::tup::tup:

I've played a bit of the 360 version and just want to let my console brethren know it's pretty smooth. If you're someone who plays a lot on PC I can see why you'd prefer the PC controls but it's certainly playable on X360, so just buy it. It's only $5.

I HATE MOTHERFUCKING BEAM FRIGATES!!

I love them :)

Destroyers with missiles can reverse away from them, repeatedly going to focus fire once they're at a safe range. Exposing the underside of one makes no difference when you're up against just beam weapons.

If you have one yourself and have managed to upgrade it a bit (health regen and fire rate especially, but upgraded engines are also really useful for zipping around and killing everything), you can send it straight in to either attack any destroyers, or if you can get it between two closely space enemy ships it will almost immediately murder them both :tup:

Once you have an extra beam frigate, you can handle most of the planets surrounded by red.

I haven't got good enough to get a battleship yet though(if its possible?) I'd love one of those though. Just beam ships, destroyers, dreadnaughts(losts of fun) so far.

By battleship, do you mean the ones turned on their sides on the right side of this picture, or are they dreadnaughts? Whichever, they can destroy a hell of a lot... :)

(Edit: oops, sorry for the sidescroller)

The large missile ships run by penguins are not something I've managed to get hold of, but those green torpedoes can really fuck up anything that isn't moved carefully.

Are there any ways to get more ships other than picking up the haunted ones? Also, hardcore mode apparently lifts the 7 month limit, meaning you can finish a lot of the storylines rather than just see the beginnings.

Edited by Nachimir

I

By battleship, do you mean the ones turned on their sides on the right side of this picture, or are they dreadnaughts? Whichever, they can destroy a hell of a lot... :)

(Edit: oops, sorry for the sidescroller)

The large missile ships run by penguins are not something I've managed to get hold of, but those green torpedoes can really fuck up anything that isn't moved carefully.

Are there any ways to get more ships other than picking up the haunted ones? Also, hardcore mode apparently lifts the 7 month limit, meaning you can finish a lot of the storylines rather than just see the beginnings.

Nope those are dreadnaughts in the screenshots, I mean the super large aircraft carrier looking things. I've only seen authority figures have them, but man, do I want one.

I mean the super large aircraft carrier looking things. I've only seen authority figures have them, but man, do I want one.

These ones at the bottom? Or the large block shaped things penguins often have? Or are there even bigger ships I haven't met yet?

Kind of itching to get home and try the longer game mode. :)

Got an artifact from the unicorn riding space Godess last night, but haven't met any bruja except when they killed a salvage crew, and put a cursed tattoo on my captains chest in his sleep

Yeah, those Nach, but haven't met any penguins with any yet, they were hard enough with smaller stuff, lol.