Tanukitsune

Torchlight?

The only good Diablo-like game was Titan Quest. Although instead of going deeper you traveled miles and miles and miles (damn that game was long). Also the environment of TQ was great, the add-on provided even more variation.

So far I'm not really thrilled about Torchlight's environment. And the town song has touched me either, actually I barely notice the music. Maybe I should turn it up. Or maybe I'm do busy with killing stuff and collecting stuff.

I recently defeated the earthquake making boss, I was a bit disappointed that he was so small.

Hearing the thumbs geek out about this got me to buy it despite never once playing a Diablo game (i'm with ya, jake!). Usually I like a ton more story in my games than this (and still prefer to pour hours into a meticulously authored world such as a Bethesda game doing the same exact thing as I do in torchlight just because i know that grocery store was put there by someone who wants me to go in it and it's not just dumb luck that I can find the sword that I heard about on the internet) but I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I'm enjoying this.

Perhaps it's because i'm so new to the action role playing game genre, but I see this closer to solitaire or puzzle quest than a deeper RPG. The time that I spend playing it is very fun but after a while gets to seem hollow and meaningless to me. The story is non-existent in my eyes because the procedural elements are so exposed. Still, it's very fun in small increments (which, according to torchlight-time, are anywhere from 1-4 hours)

Hearing the thumbs geek out about this got me to buy it despite never once playing a Diablo game (i'm with ya, jake!). Usually I like a ton more story in my games than this (and still prefer to pour hours into a meticulously authored world such as a Bethesda game doing the same exact thing as I do in torchlight just because i know that grocery store was put there by someone who wants me to go in it and it's not just dumb luck that I can find the sword that I heard about on the internet) but I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I'm enjoying this.

Perhaps it's because i'm so new to the action role playing game genre, but I see this closer to solitaire or puzzle quest than a deeper RPG. The time that I spend playing it is very fun but after a while gets to seem hollow and meaningless to me. The story is non-existent in my eyes because the procedural elements are so exposed. Still, it's very fun in small increments (which, according to torchlight-time, are anywhere from 1-4 hours)

I can see that; I love games with elaborate stories and settings too, although I rarely explore them as much as you probably do.

I still love Torchlight though... it's so VISCERAL. Actually, I love the slow burn of this game, I haven't been able to just pick up a game, click my mouse for an hour, and not come back to it for a day or two, all while still really really enjoying the game, in a long time.

I also like the gear. It's like I finally get all the purple set stuff that I never cared about in WOW. The MMO could be ridiculous. I hope it is.

Someone released a really nice tool called TorchLeech. It's a mod manager that allows you to activate/deactivate mods, check for content conflicts, and has some sort of search within the Runic Mod Forum, Runic Games Fansite, and Torchlight Insider that allows you to browse and install mods through the tool.

EDIT: So, the whole "activate/deactivate" thing doesn't seem to quite work, but the other features are good. Unfortunately, the database of mods it has integration for is limited because it's manually updated by the project members, and only after they can take a good look at the mod and make sure it's stable. Fortunately, it doesn't ruin the use of any "non-supported" mod, so anything you might have already isn't affected.

Edited by Lord Korax

Must.. resist urge.. to do a full on texture mod... Not enough time.. in day.

It's like a blank paper, its just sitting there, asking me to throw art at it.

Of course this happened to me with Fallout 3 as well, I still have a bunch of half finished assets from a questline that spawned up in my head months ago. Urgh...

Torchlight seems a bit more accessible than Fallout3 though, as far as doing little story and art mods. Hmm.

Must.. resist urge.. to do a full on texture mod... Not enough time.. in day.

It's like a blank paper, its just sitting there, asking me to throw art at it.

Torchlight seems a bit more accessible than Fallout3 though, as far as doing little story and art mods. Hmm.

I know exactly what you mean, I have zero issues with the quality of the Torchlight textures or art, but I really just have these extreme urge to see a modern take on classic Diablo, and since we have the game that does it, I'd love to see a dungeon, map, texture set that reflects it.

Even getting someone to add a couple post fx would be pretty amazing too, hehe.

But I'm lazy, and playing games takes up my time more then customizing them.

Ok, so I came home today, and decided to play a bit of Torchlight.

And now it's time to get some sleep. Sjeesh.

Did one of those side mission dungeons from that guy in the village, it was seriously difficult. But received quite some interesting loot.

The lava world was great, I really liked the atmosphere down there. And the boss fight down there was of proper scale. I hope the next section will be just a great.

I don't think I am asking for much here. I am willing to let the story be relatively one dimensional, but I don't want some chick telling me that I am killing them because they are EVIL. I might be killing them because they invaded the mines from god knows where and the local Torchlightites' livelihoods are gone to shit. Maybe I just look like a mercenary and they are in need of one more pair of hands to secure this mining town and there might be neato loot down below. These are not complicated or complex things to do. Hell, there doesn't even have to be a story of any kind. It would be a more pure experience if I was descending and killing and looting simply because such is the vector of the game, because that is my nature as a video game duder.

The problem with the flat good vs. evil narrative is that it is conspicuous, and when it is in earnest and not some sort of thought-through thing (I would be willing to settle to some version of they are evil because they hate our way of life) it is an instant destruction of any suspension of disbelief on my part.

Well, they're evil because they kill miners in the mines, presumably. (Whether that's the humans' fault for going down there in the first place probably doesn't matter to the residents of the town.) I don't know how much more there is than that. Torchlight was a boom town that rose to quick prosperity on the back of its ember mining operation, but it turns out 1) ember has a corrupting effect that is now making itself apparent, and 2) there are entire levels of previously unknown civilizations under the mine that have now been breached.

So now shit's all fucked up, and you have to go fix it.

Diablo 3 Trailer MOD -

Multiplayer Proof of Concept -

Edited by liquid

I agree with the visceral thing, torchlight just feels great. I'm playing on hard and I wish I got my butt kicked a bit more, so I may bump it up on a new character. I'm playing a minion build alchemist and it's pretty fun having the horde of goons follow you around and beat on baddies. I love the animations on the mini-demons and the construct you summon, someone put in a ton of work for that and cheers to their artistry. As far as the combat goes I was afraid it would be too one-button spammy but it can take some finesse. Personally I dig the paper-thin stories behind the missions for now.

Personally I dig the paper-thin stories behind the missions for now.

Yes, sir! Video game stories are all FUCKING BULLSHIT. Let's kill them forever.

That was a bit harsh, wasn't it?

What I meant was: It's cool when video games don't go overboard with trying to have an intricate story...because no matter what, it's going to be a dumb story. So it might as well be kind of dumb on purpose.

Oh fuck.

I just got Shitty Wizard'd.

heh... yesterday I received nothing, 3 times in a row.

btw... what is the best quality a crystal can get?

Oh man, I just finished the demo and very tempted to go for the full game now. I hear it even lets you load the demo save file. That's very cool. Ican't remember the last game that did that.

Oh man, I just finished the demo and very tempted to go for the full game now. I hear it even lets you load the demo save file. That's very cool. Ican't remember the last game that did that.

Aaaaa! does, very little else does though; meaning it is a very welcome feature.

btw... what is the best quality a crystal can get?

I think it goes regular -> cut -> polished -> star -> flawless -> perfect.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

"I'll just clear this room, and then I'll quit."