brkl

So how come PSN is so shit?

Sure, there's some games in there, but it's pretty pitiful compared to 360's offerings. Is it all about contractual stuff? I would think it wouldn't be impossible to make PS3 versions of most of the games you can buy online for the 360.

Regarding my new PS3, I just plugged in my old Logitech Dual Action PS2 clone gamepad and it works perfectly, apart from the Sixaxis, rumble and analog triggers obviously. This is excellent. Can I plug in a 360 pad (with an adapter cable) and expect it to work?

Sure, there's some games in there, but it's pretty pitiful compared to 360's offerings. Is it all about contractual stuff? I would think it wouldn't be impossible to make PS3 versions of most of the games you can buy online for the 360.

Regarding my new PS3, I just plugged in my old Logitech Dual Action PS2 clone gamepad and it works perfectly, apart from the Sixaxis, rumble and analog triggers obviously. This is excellent. Can I plug in a 360 pad (with an adapter cable) and expect it to work?

yeah, I don't know how well they work though.

Given the relative market share it's probably not worth the cost of porting xbla games from the x360 to the ps3.

I might be talking out of my butt but I think sony might charge people bandwidth costs too. I can't remember where I got that idea from so take it with a large grain of salt.

I believe it also has a lot to do with Sony using fairly severe quality control methods. Realistically, the proportion of stuff on PSN Store that's actually worth playing is pretty high. And dude, Wipeout HD. For serious.

Yeah, the quality ratio is pretty nice. There's so much SHIT on the 360 I hardly ever bother sifting through it.

But then I don't buy many of these digitally distributed games anyway so my opinion is crap. ;(

A lot of those games are pretty entertaining too.

Flower is great and I like to play Flock every once in a while also. Maybe not enough to make it worth $10 or whatever it is, but hey.

I would say also that you should pick up PixelJunk Monsters if you have even a passing interest in tower defense games. That one is rad as hell. Also, Eden is great. Never tried Racers, but whatever. Doesn't sound like you'd be interested in that one anyway. And if you never got it on Steam, this is your ideal time to pick up Everyday Shooter. That should be enough to keep you busy for at least a little bit. If it isn't, Bionic Commando Rearmed. PSN has a really quality catalogue, compared to the mountains of "meh" you'll get browsing XBLA. Not that I don't love both, but a random pick on PSN is far more likely to be enjoyable than a random pick on XBLA.

Something about PixelJunk Eden was lost on me. I got the demo because I heard that it was really fun, but I just didn't know what to do with it... maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance? Maybe I'm a big dumb-face? :yep:

I still want to play Monsters.

I recently bought Trine and that's pretty good.

But I can see what you're saying. The PSN seems to be subject to either ports from XBLA games or just carbon copies. One thing it does well though is telling how much in real money you're spending as opposed to the points system.

I recently bought Trine and that's pretty good.

But I can see what you're saying. The PSN seems to be subject to either ports from XBLA games or just carbon copies. One thing it does well though is telling how much in real money you're spending as opposed to the points system.

I hated the points system for a long time, but I seem to have gotten used to it. I don't know what the points-to-pounds conversion is, but it's 80 points to a dollar over here. It's a quick mental conversion, as almost everything is a whole dollar amount, with a few 50-cent prices. There is still some aggravation, though, in the fact that points have to be purchased in weird amounts. Still, given the choice, I'd much rather have real money pricing, so a point to Sony for that one.

PSN isnt that bad, in fact i think its better than XBLA. XBLA has a good back catalog but the amount of games worth buying that came out in the last year are in the single digits.

PSN has some great games, Super Stardust HD, Pixel Junk Eden, Elefunk, Flower, Zen Pinball,Shatter and Trash Panic are exclusives worth buying.

I have to disagree on Wipeout HD, i bought it on recommendation (like i did for PJ Monsters, also a mistake) and its probably the worst $20 ive spent. The graphics are great but as far as the gameplay goes its so repetitive and its need for perfect reflexes are the exact qualities i hate in games.

As far as download speeds go both services are extremely disappointing. If i can get 1.1MB/s on my PC i should be able to get the same, especially on XBL where im paying $5 a month.

I guess it differs a lot depending on where you're located then, because everything on PSN downloads at +1MB/s speeds for me.

Seriously? XLBA downloads slow for me, but PSN is absolutely abysmal. Like, for a 30Mb download, go get a cup of coffee.

I can't say first-hand (don't have a PS3), but my friend is always whining about the slow download speeds on PSN. For me XBL speeds seem average.

That's really odd. I wonder what causes that. I can't think of anything different I'm doing other than that it's a wired connection. Oh, and living on a different continent.

PSN is not so bad, but I do miss the fact that there's a demo/trial for any & everything on xbla.

What really gets to me about PSN is that so many games don't have demos. How am I supposed to know if I like a game if I can't get a demo?

PSN has some great games, Super Stardust HD, Pixel Junk Eden, Elefunk, Flower, Zen Pinball,Shatter and Trash Panic are exclusives worth buying.

Trash Panic is terrible, sure there's a fun concept in there but it's presented in such a way that strangles all life out of it.

Hell, I can't even get that to work with my PC. I always end up using this old Dual Action Logitech thing I got in 2001. Still works great. Far as I'm concerned, the "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" is pretty much only useful if you need another Xbox 360 controller for your xbox 360.

I'd say I enjoy most of the games I've got from PSN - Tekken 5, Warhawk, Last Guy, Wipeout HD, Flower, Superstardust HD, 1942 Joint strike, Lumines - and just this morning bought pixeljunk monsters after thinking about it for ages. 1942 is prolly the lest fun, but I've still had a good few hours out of it (but at £6-odd, I'd say it was the worst value game I've got.)

I think XBLA points work out at 0.09p/point.

I generally get stuff off the PSN (haven't setup Live for that yet, really should actually)...I like the idea of being able to use all my crazy controllers and anything that plugs into a USB plug should work with anything you get off of PSN (though you'll need an adapter for the 360 pad due to some weird stuff...until recently I didn't know they made one...I'm going to certainly get one now to go along with my many other adapters).

I got Mega Man 9 on the PSN a while back in the hopes that I could use my NES->USB controller adapter with it. It worked, but the buttons didn't map out as I needed them...that is the biggest problem you might run into. On the subject of Mega Man 9, I really wish Capcom supported gamecube controllers with the Wii version...I'd love to be able to somehow use my NES pad (I have an NES->GC adapter too) with Mega Man 9...holding a wii remote sideways isn't the same thing at all and right now I'm making due with the Super Famicom classic controller (an SFC controller from Japan for the Wii) hooked into my wii remote as its the next best thing I guess. I'm getting waaaay off-topic...but yeah that 360 pad SHOULD work with an adapter...but until I get my hands on it I can't confirm for certain (and obviously motion based stuff like flower probably won't work...speaking of which I should get flower sometime).

I have very little PSN stuff compared to XBL stuff, but there seems to be an interesting range of stuff on there. They don't have a lot of stuff that is on XBL, but there are a lot of PSN titles that would NEVER turn up on XBL, like Noby Noby Boy or even Flower. I think the Playstation Store has a ton of problems but there is potential there, and they make interesting decisions now and again.

I think the Playstation Store has a ton of problems but there is potential there, and they make interesting decisions now and again.

Very true, PSN has a very weird indie feel to it. It certainly has allowed more of the products that are closer to "experiences" then games get recognition.

Trash Panic is terrible, sure there's a fun concept in there but it's presented in such a way that strangles all life out of it.

Its pretty difficult but i dont think its really that difficult to grasp. For only $5 its worth trying as well.