Scrobbs

Will Langdell choke to death on writs?

Yet again, EA is the good guy... Suddenly I'm glad I didn't join in with the EA hating five years ago.

I did, but I don't feel conflicted about it. EA of 5 years ago is very different from the EA of today. Upper management shake-ups will do that. Who knows, post-Kotick, Activision may become amazing too. Doesn't mean there's a problem with hating them now.

I think of EA as the dragon from The Hobbit.

Essentially evil at heart but its days of ransacking are over and it is content to sit on its pile of gold and let the world be. Unless some dirty little midget pisses it off then it goes and wreaks havoc.

True. I can't make out like I was particularly prescient; I just stay away from the hating mostly. Other than perhaps employing miniature one-man boycotts here and there.

I think of EA as the dragon from The Hobbit.

Essentially evil at heart but its days of ransacking are over and it is content to sit on its pile of gold and let the world be. Unless some dirty little midget pisses it off then it goes and wreaks havoc.

:clap:

Even at the absolute height of their aggressive bullshit, EA didn't come close to where Activision are today.

I dunno, EA is pretty fucking rotten. What makes them look good is just that they recently realized their properties were getting stale, so they let some indentured creatives flex some creative muscles for a spell.

I find the very act of comparing virtues of humongous corporations to be weird, more meaningless than enlightening. They all exist for the bottom line. Humane treatment of employees is at worst a means to an end, at best noblesse oblige—more often than not it is a red line item on the balance sheets, an expense, to be reduced so that the net pile of money gets bigger.

The fact that Will Langdell has a penchant for frivolous litigation, and EA decided to kick his ass, has nothing to do with how benevolent and just EA is; Langdell was just crimping EA's style, and they decided to fuck him up.

Plus, EA probably knew that the gamernerds who have been following this story would applaud them for 'doing the right thing'.

Plus, EA probably knew that the gamernerds who have been following this story would applaud them for 'doing the right thing'.
I sometimes dream that big gaming companies care what "gamer nerds" think, but I'm always disappointed in the end. Bioware, for example, is an example of this.

They care insasmuch as it might lead to sales. Certainly companies like EA, who has been boycotted multiple times, could do with a PR boost.

Though I personally suspect most people only ever boycotted EA until they next published something they wanted.

When in reality, he's pissed someone off there, or they just want to be able to use the word 'Edge' in their marketing.

No illusions here - just that it's nice to see someone who has the deep pockets needed to challenge this silliness of his in the courts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/12/going-over-the-edge-indie-mass-protest/#more-21048

A lot of indie games have just changed their names. Remember Fez? It’s now Fedge. Tyler Glaiel’s Closure is now named Closure: on the EDGE of reality™. The forthcoming iPhone game Critter Crunch is henceforth referred to as Critter Credge. And the enormously enjoyed Canabalt is now called Canabedge. Although Atomic Edge Games aren’t too pleased about it all. Other new games have been announced including Ted Marten’s Edgeward McEdgington, Secret Exit promises to bring us LEDGE, Steph Thirion’s Eliss declares a sequel, Edgeliss, Tyler Glaiel is back with a new game, Edgeform: On The Edge Of Insanity, and there’s rumours of a new game from Dejobaan, EeeeeEEeeeEEEeeEEEEeEEEEEdge! A Feckless Disregard For Poopieheads. You may have noticed a pattern. This is a solidarity movement amongst the indie development community to stand up to the legal actions of Tim Langdell, who has recently launched another attempt to remove a game from Apple’s iTunes store due to including the word “Edge” in its title.

If only there was a Thumbcast to discuss this hilarious turn of events.

EeeeeEEeeeEEEeeEEEEeEEEEEdge: A Feckless Disregard for Poopieheads may be my favorite name of all time.

The fact that Will Langdell has a penchant for frivolous litigation, and EA decided to kick his ass, has nothing to do with how benevolent and just EA is; Langdell was just crimping EA's style, and they decided to fuck him up.

The guy is called Tim Langdell, not Will.

(I made that mistake too :) )

The guy is called Tim Langdell, not Will.

(I made that mistake too :) )

Huh! Where did "Will" come from then?

Those who purchase Dragon Age™: Origins before November 30th will automatically receive the in-game item, “The Edge”. The Edge is an extremely sharp blade that is the pinnacle of Ferelden crafting. It adds bonuses to damage, attack, and critical strike chance.

Sounds cool.

Wait, what?

Hmmm....