OssK

Comment on the Fresh Indie Games Compendium

Yay! Have spammed it, and a couple of games written by friends - but they're all awesome and free. Well worth half an hour each at least (except for BTDT, which is well worth playing through thoroughly for as long as possible).

EDIT: posted at same time as Thunderpeel - will take down BTDT if requested!

Update on the list:

I played And yet it moves, pretty nice, reminded me of Jumpman which was in my opinion more precise and fast paced, what I would be expecting from a platformer, although this last one lacks a consistent progression curve (sometimes levels are just fucking hard for no reason it seems and then you go back to more casual things...). And Yet it moves has a certain look to it that I liked, made me think of another one I'll post :)

Had a bit of fun with TAG too, I would have loved it to be bigger, it seemed like sort of a "hey that's fun we found a little gameplay feature, let's make a little game with it".

I know Jake I know you're gonna say that not all oil paintings should be twice as large...

Had a go with Scarygirl, I was really impressed with this game, it's a very accurate platformer once you get a hold on it, and the universe is really awesome and absolutely beautiful, really impressed is the word, I was so not expecting it to be so long and rich...

Played the Graveyard, it was... Hmm, not touching to me so as I guess that's the main aim of the game, I missed the point.

Oh and I kicked auditorium's ass, thank you for getting me back into it, I payed for the game but never finished it, now it's over between us.

And could peeps specify in the platform info what system (as in Linux OSx Vista XP) it runs on and all...

And please no direct download links -_-

I played And yet it moves, pretty nice, reminded me of Jumpman which was in my opinion more precise and fast paced, what I would be expecting from a platformer, although this last one lacks a consistent progression curve (sometimes levels are just fucking hard for no reason it seems and then you go back to more casual things...). And Yet it moves has a certain look to it that I liked, made me think of another one I'll post :)

And not to forget that AYIM contains a bunch of level sections tuned to music

Wow, Scarygirl had me from the first minute or so. That game is remarkably charming and just gorgeous to look at.

Update on the list:

Played the Graveyard, it was... Hmm, not touching to me so as I guess that's the main aim of the game, I missed the point.

You certainly did not miss anything with The Graveyard, the Tales of Tales guys make painfully "games as art hurf durf" stuff like The Path which was hamfisted as all hell. If your game only boils down to one or two things conceptually, you should at least be able to convey those concepts without tripping all over your first year philosophy.

Played the demo of And Yet It Moves and I thought it stunk to high-heaven. I didn't get very far (it crashed) but if the whole concept is one of "ooh, you can rotate the world" then I'm seriously disappointed.

You certainly did not miss anything with The Graveyard, the Tales of Tales guys make painfully "games as art hurf durf" stuff like The Path which was hamfisted as all hell. If your game only boils down to one or two things conceptually, you should at least be able to convey those concepts without tripping all over your first year philosophy.

I liked The Path. Sure it's an art game. It's a good art game. We have a thread about it elsewhere.

I'm not too bothered about trying The Graveyard though.

This is a great idea; loving the list so far.

I have a couple to add - as it happens I'm currently working on a feature for a magazine on indie games, so I've been playing a lot recently.

I heard that if you sit on the bench long enough in The Graveyard, the game turns into a zombie killing FPS.

not really

I heard that if you sit on the bench long enough in The Graveyard, the game turns into a zombie killing FPS.

Actually, when you leave her on the bench for 23 hours

she will die ███████ █████████████████ █ ████ █████ █████ █ ██ ██████ ████ ████ ███████ ████████ █████ ██████ ██████ ███ █████ █████ █████ █████████ ███████████ ████ ██████ █████ ███

Actually, when you leave her on the bench for 23 hours

she will die ███████ █████████████████ █ ████ █████ █████ █ ██ ██████ ████ ████ ███████ ████████ █████ ██████ ██████ ███ █████ █████ █████ █████████ ███████████ ████ ██████ █████ ███

And then it turns into a Stubbs the Zombie style zombie role reversal game right? ...right?

Should we include really short games? I mean ones that can be completed in 10 minutes or so.

Passage, Windosill, Paper Moon etc.

[edit] since The Graveyard is already there representing really short games, I added Paper Moon.

Edited by Erkki

I really, really liked what Passage did. I think it belongs on that list, too.

Not to state the obvious, but, erm, the both of you, just edit your posts, make it look like it never happened.

By the way, Use Boxmen is a nice little flashbased indie-game.

AOFAD is incredible.

Also, need advice on getting Abuse to run on Vista. It opens a window for a split second then closes it again.

AOFAD is incredible.

You see, this is why we should not have letters, only full words. AOFAD? What the fuck is that? Age of something? Attack of something?

You see, this is why we should not have letters, only full words. AOFAD? What the fuck is that? Age of something? Attack of something?

Attack Of Fiercely Angry Dinosaurs

Age of Felines Attacking Dogs

AOFAD: The Wizzard's Spell

I don't know. I agree in most cases, but there are times when YJHSTSTSSMBWYULAOTW

you just have something to say that sounds so much better when you use letters as opposed to words

Crane Wars is ok... pretty polished presentation for Blurst, but kind of lacking in fun.

Yep, gameplay I think it's called :)

Blurst are doing a "full" version of Raptor Safari, I learned today. Time will tell how it pans out.

Any chance of the Blurst games running on a laptop w/ an integrated graphics card?

I'd like to recommend something, but I don't want to mess up the formatting - could someone tell me what the "tag" thing at the left of the title of the game is, and how you put it in? I'm not very used to UBBScript...