OssK

Comment on the Fresh Indie Games Compendium

(Remember when we used to not write in the FIGCE-thread but in here to talk about fresh and new indie games?)

So about 'Jelly no Puzzle'. I'm a bit amazed that a game with such a simple set of rules continually manages to be so hard to solve - including red herrings, lots and lots of 'oh this would be easy if it wasn't for the position of this one block'-situations and this creeping thought you know is not true that this particular level is just broken, a bug and really unsolveable (until it clicks) - without resorting to just throwing bigger levels or more objects at the player. That is probably what makes a puzzle-game of this kind 'good', I just haven't played those in some time, so I was surprised.

I guess I'm just going to act as though the stated rules of the FIGCE thread are still being observed.

I just played Kindness Coins. I really enjoyed it! I think my favourite touch is the sound effect which plays for the protagonist when you rebuff/affirm his question about practicing music over the summer break. I think dating sims feed into an adolescent male narrative of entitlement, and I'm always glad to see it taken down a peg.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the protagonist would have so graciously apologised. I kind of imagine him throwing a big, misogynistic tantrum. But maybe it's good that the writer has a little more faith in humanity than I do.