gdf

Life

I considered mentioning There Will be Blood, but it occurred to me that the reason it blew me away IGN.com so much was because it was such an anomaly – there hasn't really been anything quite like it in recent years, if at all. It's amazing, but it's not really indicative of current films on the whole.

It still falls into the category of a film... and no film has reached the storytelling peaks of games in the last five years... or so he argued. So, anomaly or not, he still maintained his statement.

Also: Wasn't it just an incredible film? I honestly believe it was the Citizen Kane of our time... Totally remaking the craft of cinema. My eyes were bulging at times, "You can't do that!", but the director did, and with aplomb.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

It still falls into the category of a film... and no film has reached the storytelling peaks of games in the last five years. Anomaly or not, he still maintained his statement.

True, but I think it's important to emphasise that games haven't even reached the comparatively "modest" height of your more average films.

Also: Wasn't it just an incredible film?

Yes.

True, but I think it's important to emphasise that games haven't even reached the comparatively "modest" height of your more average films.

Confused. You do know we're agreeing, right?

Ah, in that case I agree with you and James. There Will Be Blood was incredible. I think James is right that games haven't even reached the storytelling benchmark of even average films, because incredibly repetitive verbs don't make a great story.

I did like the arc of Red Dead Redemption in which John Marston

increasingly comes face to face with his own political and economic redundancy while reaching the height of his skills

, but even with overly long dialogue and a hat tip to practically everything anyone has ever loved in a western, the story was essentially stretched thin between very long (enjoyable) repetitions of riding and shooting.

Play and storytelling do cross paths sometimes, but in action neither requires the other. I don't believe they'll ever combine into one thing, or work together as efficiently as people seem to think.

Ah, in that case I agree with you and James. There Will Be Blood was incredible. I think James is right that games haven't even reached the storytelling benchmark of even average films, because incredibly repetitive verbs don't make a great story.

I totally concur, hence my surprise at what the fellow was saying. He was also especially looking forward to LA Noir. Ironic given I tore it into little clichéd pieces when the first trailer was released. (Hey, I hope I'm wrong, though!)

It seems nobody agrees with that he said... However, I am amazed and interested that he gets so much from games, and so little (by comparison) from films.

I just drank my pot of tea, and it had gone cold while I played Starcraft 2.

Truly, these are the end times.

Confused. You do know we're agreeing, right?

My point was that There Will be Blood wasn't a great example for the general principle because it's such an outlier. Basically I wanted to explain why I didn't mention that particular film, because apparently at the time I decided it was important for everyone to know.

Play and storytelling do cross paths sometimes, but in action neither requires the other. I don't believe they'll ever combine into one thing, or work together as efficiently as people seem to think.

I suspect you may be right, although I think taking an active role in a story can allow for interesting moments unique to gaming. It's not so good for plot points, but I think you can achieve a different sense of discovery in something you've actively participated in than a more passive medium. That's what I loved so much about Portal (other than the actual gameplay, that is)* — the content of the story is nothing too incredible, but the sense of breaking free from the test chamber environment was exciting in a way I don't think it would have been had I been watching a film. That's not to say that films can't do something similar, of course, but I do think games have something of their own to offer in that regard. But I'm not sure to what extent that can be extended or expanded or fleshed-out or whatever.

I feel that the ending of Red Dead Redemption also benefited from its interactive nature.

I was totally ready to go into full ranch sim mode if it meant Marston got his happy ending. I wanted to live his family life for a while. But, as they say about the book Jack's reading, the story can't end that way. Eugh, I wish I could phrase that better.

I think there are interesting things to be done, but I'm not sure games will ever end up serving an equivalent role to novels or films.

* Which, I suppose, illustrates that the disjunct between gameplay and narrative is ever-present.

Guys, I'm here to blow my own horn right now. Skip if you don't want to read about how impressed I was with myself this morning and why:

Last night I stayed up until 5 am:

- Giving my girlfriend a shoulder to cry on and making her feel better. She eventually was laughing and joking around and, finally, relaxed enough to go to sleep. This morning she woke-up feeling great;

- talking my friend through a freakout. She's this really sweet girl with a past so eventful she's like a living soap opera - ended up having a freak-out yesterday, and I talked her through it. In the end she told me she loved me for it;

- Talking an old friend of mine through a freakout, because his girlfriend left him and he was getting his self-doubts up again;

- all while working on a biiig assignment due in 3 hours, and I'm 99% done.

I won't lie, people. When all was done and these three people I love so much were feeling good, and then my code started working? I think my life peaked right there. Kroms right now = :manny:+:molyneuxcrown:

Been working as a waiter for some time now while I tried to break into the radio/VO industry, but just recently got an interview scheduled to be a customer service rep for progressive. Decent pay and benefits to tide me over until I decide where I really want to go with my radio career. Much more stable income then waiting as well.

Do you have an online portfolio with stuff you can do?

Yea that's what's kind of holding me back, I have a degree and internship, but I haven't really built much of a portfolio yet. I really need to get with a talent agency to get good VO scripts, or just get off my lazy ass, write and record things myself. A lot of it is on me I'll aknowledge that.

A god damn Mercedez-Benz driver smashed my car during lunch break. And because of technicality issues I am the faulty party because I exited a tightly crammed parking lot although he was driving over the speed limit in a tight alley. All my co-workers sitting in my car when this happen said the guy was driving way too fast on that tight space, but police said it is my fault and in a way I acknowledge that.

The thing is I was not supposed to use that exit, but another car was blocking the way so I couldn't use the bigger exit out of the parking lot. It's all about chances and fucking shitty bad luck.

My car is now smashed, the insurance will cover the other guy's car, but not mine.

I'm feeling really fucking pissed right now. My dad had just mentioned to me a few days ago if I would change the old car to a new one and get good discount when giving the old car in exchange. Well, good luck with that now. :(

The good:

I realised this week that I have only one major source of stress and negativity in my life, and I'm doing something about it. Even that is confined to just a part of my life.

I've become very happy. I cycle places, I'm physically fitter and stronger than I've ever been, and I bought more tools and can now completely strip and service a bike. I'm going to get an old BMX to fix up for cheap, because I found out there's a small skate/BMX park about 400 metres from my house, and I've always wanted to learn to jump bikes properly.

The bad:

This afternoon I was working at home in the living room, and the dog started throwing up puddles of half digested shit that she'd evidently found in the garden and been eating all morning. Actual shit. I have never smelled anything like it. After I threw everything she puked on outside, and nuked the floor with bleach, we even had to hose down the patio too.

There has never been a more appropriate time for:

:spiraldy:

The good:

I realised this week that I have only one major source of stress and negativity in my life, and I'm doing something about it. Even that is confined to just a part of my life.

I've become very happy. I cycle places, I'm physically fitter and stronger than I've ever been, and I bought more tools and can now completely strip and service a bike. I'm going to get an old BMX to fix up for cheap, because I found out there's a small skate/BMX park about 400 metres from my house, and I've always wanted to learn to jump bikes properly.

The bad:

This afternoon I was working at home in the living room, and the dog started throwing up puddles of half digested shit that she'd evidently found in the garden and been eating all morning. Actual shit. I have never smelled anything like it. After I threw everything she puked on outside, and nuked the floor with bleach, we even had to hose down the patio too.

There has never been a more appropriate time for:

:spiraldy:

Why did I have to be eating when I read this?

That's so gross! ^_^;;

I'm in the thick of trying to get a job. I've been carefully scrutinizing job offers and companies I'd like to work at for the past months and it's quite a stressful ordeal. I'd most like to get a writing job in games (after all I know about the industry I still want in, I must be mad!), so I'm focusing on that.

Next to actually getting the aforementioned job, the biggest concern would be emigrating. It'll be tough to leave the Netherlands, with all my friends and family in it, for an unknown set of years and settle somewhere abroad, possibly half the world away. Trying times, and unstable of feelings.

That's so gross! ^_^;;

I'm in the thick of trying to get a job. I've been carefully scrutinizing job offers and companies I'd like to work at for the past months and it's quite a stressful ordeal. I'd most like to get a writing job in games (after all I know about the industry I still want in, I must be mad!), so I'm focusing on that.

Next to actually getting the aforementioned job, the biggest concern would be emigrating. It'll be tough to leave the Netherlands, with all my friends and family in it, for an unknown set of years and settle somewhere abroad, possibly half the world away. Trying times, and unstable of feelings.

A few years, in the bigger scheme of things, is really not all that much in your life. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

It's actually great to hear that. I mean, I've known it, but to hear it confirmed is oddly compelling :tup: Thanks.

Came back this morning from a 3 day ski trip with the company.

And now I need a vacation :/

Why did I have to be eating when I read this?

Sorry ;(

I definitely should have put that in spoiler tags with a warning before it.

Rodi, sometimes that separation can really strengthen a friendship, or show that it was weak in the first place. There are a few people I actually see more often now they're in other countries rather than in the same city. Some friendships that seem strong fade away under those circumstances, but with others the rarity of contact seems to underline the bond, so we make more of an effort to see each other when we can.

Moving will change things, but it won't destroy them :tup:

Mmmm, stomach virus. Finally got to sleep about 4AM, woke up with a cold sweat about an hour ago and finally held some broth down.

On the bright side, I have a house to design this coming month, so I'm happy to have some work to do.