gdf

Life

How are you self-employed? You were working at your parents' store and now you're not.

Well, my family had me on a self-employment contract and then they fired me? I guess technically they made me fire myself since they couldn't afford to pay for me anymore.

Maybe the situation just doesn't translate into English well or maybe Spain is simply different?

Or maybe they had me on a self-employed contract for some financial reason? Probably because they'd get fined if I worked for them without a contract?:erm:

I was a self employed assistant, I don't know if that was legal or possible, but it's what I did... except I now do it without a contract.

If, hypothetically, you were to move out, you would presumably no longer have to work for your parents, and would therefore be eligible for unemployment benefits. Would this be enough to cover your living expenses while you searched for work, or is that not feasible? It might not be comfortable, but it sounds like you need to break out of your current situation and put yourself in a position of self-determination. I think it's psychologically important to be able to claim responsibility for your own life, and it's difficult to do that when somebody else seems to be calling all the shots.

DISCLAIMER: Not an expert on living.

I don't think that's how it works here, they only way I could get monetary unemployment benefits here would be to work in a non-self employed job.

All unemployed people have the right to get job counselling and free courses, but only non-self employed people get money after they lose their job?

I am willing to move out though... I was even looking up jobs in other areas, even as a park ranger, which apparently isn't an easy job to get?

He's not getting money because he was self-employed as an independent contractor, who was at the time contracted out to his parents. Now he is no longer working for his parents but he's technically still an independent contractor. This is why he's not getting unemployment benefits.

Tanu, I know it's not easy or even economically possible at the moment and I know that Spain's unemployment for young people is currently at like 120% but just keep looking as hard as you can for any way to get out of there. Your parents come off as a toxic influence.

Your sister is probably just telling you what she told herself in order to deal with her own problems. Not everyone works the same way and she is not making an effort to see things your way so don't even worry about it. Just keep working on getting out of there, since your parents seem to be the source of all your stress.

To all the people thinking he's insane or that his parents are just trying to help him out into the world by forcing him to fly like a baby bird, this may be true if Tanu had the same background as you but Spanish society, especially working-class, is quite different. His parents most probably really do just want to keep him there as cheap/free labor because that's what your children are for. To continue the family business.

On a side note, I have heard that it's indeed really tough getting a stint as a park ranger. In the Netherlands that is a job you need to be highly qualified for and there are only a few of those around. Since you can remain one for pretty much a lifetime, it's impossible to get.

It's very attractive too. I am certainly susceptible to that romantic idea of living in the forest and spending your days there. Disqualifier: I am completely ill-suited for this work. When I am actually in the forest I don't touch anything because I want to keep my hands clean, despite loving being there.

Edited by Rodi

Well, I do believe my parents care for my "monetary health", they just don't care if I go insane of if I'm miserable as long as I'm making enough money to survive...

They are paying for my pension fund, although they might just be doing this so I'll keep working for them for the "free pension plan"...

Sal Limones is right, I've been working for my parents for as long as I remember, I only didn't work as a child because my sister worked for a while until I was older...

She gave me no advice on how to deal with the anxiety except "Man up! You shouldn't complain and have no right to be stressed!"

I'm changing my advice to this.

In my life, I'm currently rife with anticipation. I'm finally finishing off my overtime so I can get in the gym, claim my tax back, and work on some creative projects, including one with Thunderpeel, and this:

http://twitter.com/#!/danthat/status/121934230187028480

I will also cry, but in an ironic fashion.

Also: Wooooooo! it's almost 4AM, I'm drunk on GIN and watching Star Trek: Voyager. NERDZ YO. :grin:

Excellent on all counts :tup:

But which one would be your favourite if you HAD to choose?

But which one would be your favourite if you HAD to choose?

It's a draw between you doing overtime, and you claiming your tax back... I just can't decide. Maybe if you went into more detail?

You're right! I'll bet everyone on this forum will want to hear the minutiae of my life!

I work at an eye hospital in the patient records library, and the overtime involves getting rid of the thousands of temp. notes that have accumulated, by finding the real notes and merging them. It's taken over my life for the last 6 months or so, and I've finally decided I can't take any more, so that's that.

The tax is from 2009-10, the most recent year in which I worked in telly and film before getting a more boring yet reliable job. I got charged Basic Rate tax for pretty much the whole year, so I need to get every single invoice, P45 and P60 (contacting the production companies' notoriously slow-to-respond financial departments where necessary) and send them all off to the tax office so they can figure out how much I was (presumably) overcharged and send me a lovely cheque. I'm hoping for a couple of hundred quid.

CHOOSE, THUNDERPEEL, BUT CHOOSE WISELY.

CHOOSE, THUNDERPEEL, BUT CHOOSE WISELY.

Since we live in the time of in absentia Thunderpeelia (and I'm dying of the flu), the tax returns are the obvious choice. Who doesn't love a good tax return?

Well that was interesting! I was playing some RAGE on friday, stopped playing, did some browsing and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere my PC starts acting funny. Long story short, my main HDD drive completely broke. I ordered a new drive the same day, which I got on saturday, so that was nice. Only just had the time to replace it though.

Went to a funeral on saturday, nobody I was particularly close to or anything. The person was already cremated some time ago, so the ashes were put in an urn. It was depressing in that I don't like seeing other people sad, but after the urn placement, everyone seemed kind of relieved that it was done and the mood was much improved with an almost jovial mood. There was drinking and there was good food, so it turned into an alright day.

Went to some friends in the late evening. Watched the Two Towers on Bluray! Still a fun movie.

Hello, if anyone here came to Austin for GDC and is at the Six Lounge after party and happens to be reading the "Life" thread on Idlethumbs right now, please come talk to me. I'm currently all the way upstairs near my coworker who has bright red hair. You can't miss her. I have a blue striped shirt. Damn phone foruming!