ThunderPeel2001

Brütal Legend overload...!

The powerpoint from Double Fine's GDC presentation "The Brutal Art of Brutal Legend" was released recently:

http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/play/975 (requires Powerpoint to view)

brutallegendconceptart.png

(An early Eddie Riggs rocking a killer mustache)

Sadly, about half of the images are blank placeholders, but what's there is very impressive. Looks to be a good deal of new shots and concept art (at least ones not on Thrik's site). It also delves quite a bit into their artistic process. Make sure to look at the comment field for each slide.

Edit: Fixed link.

Edited by Noyb

YES

Goddamn goty if that's an unlockable skin.

My frothing demand for this game is increasing either way, we should have a game art (concept and otherwise) thread...I'm not cool enough to make it though. :getmecoat

We could make the next Box Art Challenge subject be Brutal Legend if you like?

We could make the next Box Art Challenge subject be Brutal Legend if you like?

It's going to be hard to top the artwork they've already been putting out, though it would be interesting to try out different aesthetics. It certainly doesn't deserve any mockery IMO :mock:

Mockery isn't a prerequisite. A change in aesthetic might be an interesting challenge though.

Oh man, I was hoping something from that art presentation would eventually come out. Thanks — I'll scavenge the shit out of this immediately. :tup:

The correct link is here, Erkki.

Also, just updated about a pre-order guitar. Doubt I'll be able to get it unless they do a UK counterpart, but I hope it means there're many axes to use with all individual effects and stuff. :tup::tup:

I don't know how many people here have ever actually clicked my signature, but I run a Brutal Legend fan site that is pretty thorough when it comes to covering all the previews and shit. Also got some nice fan art and an insane amount of media, as well as all general information that me and my suppliers have picked out from the previews and such.

I don't think I'm technically allowed to recommend it, but still — I recommend my site! :tup:

I'm still mad at you for pulling my preview.

(No, not really).

But yes, I also recommend Thrik's site. It's fucking rad.

Hm? What preview was it?

Edit: Oh right, I see. Yes, I did have to get rid of that or EA would take away my sweets. :(

Hm? What preview was it?

Edit: Oh right, I see. Yes, I did have to get rid of that or EA would take away my sweets. :(

That's okay. EA threatened me too. They said the information was "factually inaccurate," which I knew to be a lie. I asked them to speak specifically to the inaccuracies, they chose not to, and I left the story up.

Heh, yes I was pretty sure it wasn't factually inaccurate — speculation isn't normally an issue. But I think if a company really wants something about their game to remain a surprise, I can respect that.

Kind of like how the entire character script for AMS's next game was leaked but it's not being posted all over Mojo, because it's kind of just lame to post something like that and would probably sever the site's relationship with the developers. :yep:

Yeah, I know what you mean Thrik. I usually have this long, moral debate with myself on whether or not to post something that I probably shouldn't (I usually come across these leaks, by accident). Most times I don't, but when it's something completely harmless (like the IMDB Brutal Legend thing) I post about it.

New interview up at Eurogamer, by the way. Just posted it on Mojo.

I don't know if it's a learned reaction, but anything posted on deviant art makes me feel a bit 'meh'. I wonder if I saw it on a different background, I would be more impressed. But the Deviant Art colour scheme and layout just seems to exude a feeling of ennui.

*Adopts best Donald Sutherland voice*

"Always with those negative vibes"

Anyone who hasn't seen Kelly's Heroes I apologise.

The powerpoint from Double Fine's GDC presentation "The Brutal Art of Brutal Legend" was released recently:

http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/play/975 (requires Powerpoint to view)

:tup: Thanks for posting this. Most entertaining and has me more excited about the game than any of the trailers or screenshots :)

Heightmap terrain: Flexible, efficient, and a pain in the ass

The skies look incredible, can't wait to see them moving.

Heh, yes I was pretty sure it wasn't factually inaccurate — speculation isn't normally an issue. But I think if a company really wants something about their game to remain a surprise, I can respect that.

Spoilers = :tdown:!

No, not spoilers. Well, unless you're sensitive to voice casting and multiplayer details anyway!

I've isolated and uploaded all the images if anyone's having trouble with the PPT:

http://www.brutallegend.net/screenshots/miscellaneous/

http://www.brutallegend.net/concept-art-and-renders/concept-art/

I love the sheer variety of the visuals. It's kind of like how Psychonauts' levels are all different and mental, except presumably the sky and everything seamlessly transitions between these different themes as you enter those areas. So epic.

It's pretty well known that Guybrush comes from the fact that the file name of the sprite was guy.brush - I didn't think it was George who suggested they keep the name though.

It's pretty well known that Guybrush comes from the fact that the file name of the sprite was guy.brush - I didn't think it was George who suggested they keep the name though.

Yeah it is, and no it wasn't. Hence the wtf - where would they get that from?

Yeah it is, and no it wasn't. Hence the wtf - where would they get that from?

They got it from Tim, watch the video embedded in that same interview. He said something like "[George Lucas] said to emphasize the main character more." It seems like they extrapolated it though.

Yeah, I mean it still makes sense. You can imagine Lucas going, "your lead character doesn't have a name yet?! you might want to start there!".

I totally agree with Tim that the "non-character" of so many games is just a lame excuse for not having to write one.

in true George Lucas tradition, I wonder when the digitally remastered versions will be released.

LeChuck shot first!