MrChaz

Dantes Inferno trailer

Holy shit, the dude says in the interview that his next game will be an adaption of Sense and Sensibility :eek: What gameplay can/are they going to shoehorn around that?

Is EA just playing a joke on everyone?

Holy shit, the dude says in the interview that his next game will be an adaption of Sense and Sensibility :eek: What gameplay can/are they going to shoehorn around that?

A dating sim?

Or if EA really wants to go abstract from the material; A 2D sidescrolling shooter . . . awesome.

Ignoring the literature this is being traded mercilessly off the back of, there's nothing here I find appealing. Adding the legacy of the poem back into the mix and I'm starting to feel contempt for those who thought this was a great idea.

This is you exploring new IP is it, EA? Go to hell.

Something came to mind listening to an old podcast... What if the game was only "go to hell" an it 'd be like an open hell, sandbox hell if you will... That could be sweet and actually convey that "exploration of the 9 circles of hell" feeling... Or wouldn't it be enough ? What do you thinks thumbers ?

Is open hell close enough to vaguely conveying the divine comedy's spirit or do you feel it'll just be just "go to hell, on rails" sponsored by Amtrak or something

Something came to mind listening to an old podcast... What if the game was only "go to hell" an it 'd be like an open hell, sandbox hell if you will... That could be sweet and actually convey that "exploration of the 9 circles of hell" feeling... Or wouldn't it be enough ? What do you thinks thumbers ?

The first game I thought of with that description was the original Hexen, with its central hub level structure. I'm struggling to remember, but I think all the levels had doors from this hub area, and you unlocked them by venturing into already-unlocked levels to find the right key(s).

Wow... overwhelming urge to go back and play that immediately. It looked amazing on my Riva TNT 2! :getmecoat

I have it for mac in case anyone's interested in replaying it and can't manage to get it running on intel ;)

Of course you would have to own the original version of that game to legally do that...

Oh and I also have Heretic which is awesome as well.

Talking about guilty pleasures, Hexen 2 and Heretic 2 are in my possession as well, and I loved them although they kinda sucked real hard.

"You're going to be sucked away" IGN.com

Heretic, Hexen, Hexen 2, and the Hexen expansion are $10 for the whole pack on Steam. Or Hexen by itself is $5. Just sayin'. I got them all as part of the Id complete pack a while back.

Heretic, Hexen, Hexen 2, and the Hexen expansion are $10 for the whole pack on Steam. Or Hexen by itself is $5. Just sayin'. I got them all as part of the Id complete pack a while back.

Heretic 2's not in the pack ?

I was just talking mac here, wait... you mean they're steam powered? I didn't know windows users were THAT late technologically =^.^=

Heretic 2 doesn't seem to be on Steam, from what I can tell. The only one available is called Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, which I assume is the first one. Don't really know a lot about the series though, so maybe it's a total pack, like the Commander Keen one?

'The id Pack'? Heretic and Hexen were from Raven, I thought? Anyway, great games. The first ones, anyway. Hexen 2 was pretty bad-ass. I remember the Egyptian architecture and being able to catapult a sheep into the air with a... catapult.

Developed by Raven, produced/published/whatever by Id. Like Return To Castle Wolfenstein or Quake IV. Those were both Raven games as well, but count as Id in the grander scheme of things.

Damn you -- be gone, foul temptress of the games! *shakes fist*

Reinstalled Heretic 2 which I found at home, I have to say it's pretty hard to monkey around in this game but the powers are quite fun to use :°)

The multiplayer deathmatch in Heretic 2 was a laugh. Not only could you cut off someone's arm and wait for them to bleed to death, but also the chicken polymorph spell had a 1 in 100 chance of turning the target into a 18ft superchicken of doom.

I TAKES IT ALL BACK THAY KNOW WHAT THEIR DOYNG!!!

Courtesy of Destructoid.

is that kind of a really sick joke ?

Cause if looking at those pictures anyone takes back the "they're totaly gonna rape Dante in the face" he's got a pretty strong sense of interpretation...

Ok, read the article, looked at the pics... I wouldn't say they know what they're doing but they are definitely doing something, revisiting the myth can be an interesting proposition, and having to play a guilty character is quite a cool premise. BUT, it's still going to be hard to transmit the philosophical meaning of Dante's work through a beat 'em up.

Dante's

about to make

you his bitch.

go to hell

Dante's

about to make

you his bitch.

go to hell

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm on the floor. You had me laugh to my death there XD

The thing I love about that first image I posted, is the blank spaces. It's basically the equivalent of a slide saying:

Divine Comedy, the Epic Poem ---> ???? ---> Violent Action Game ---> Profit

My reading was

"see in the original novel, they're saying some bullshit nobody cares about"

-------------------->"We make an awesome game out of it !"

Remember, if the game was exactly like The Divine Comedy, then it would just be text adventure game with Dante talking to people the entire time.

I have it! The perfect genre for a Danté's Inferno adaptation!

Horticulture/Garden Sim!

Think something along the lines of Animal Crossing, Viva Pináta or Harvest Moon.

You have the 9 circles of hell, which are like areas of your garden, and you must cultivate each one in order to attract lost souls of the best suited variety (like Pinátas). So you can grow a nice Forest of Suicides, or a lovely water feature full of slothful spirits. Perhaps wandering poet visionaries can act as the pests, freeing your souls and upsetting your demons.

You can train demons to act as automated gardeners and groundsmen.

You will be able to converse with both demons and some of the lost souls that enter your Hell Garden. As in Animal Crossing, they will each have an attitude towards and tasks for you. In this way you will gain stories like those told in the original poem.

Actually, this started as a joke but the more I think about it the more I am convinced this would be the ideal Divine Comedy game. It would present good gameplay elements that support the original themes and textures of the poetry (which are completely missing in REdwood Shores' game)