Wrestlevania

Street Fighter IV

I'm concerned about unlocking Akuma, Gouken etc. because you can't use continues, and Seth can sometimes just cheese you to death with his stupid Ultra combo where he sucks you up and smashes you off the screen.

I found unlocking Akuma really easy, as you can do it on any difficulty and I found that El Fuerte has some cheese of his own to deal with Seth.

Not that I'm proud of using it, but I wanted Akuma :P

Unlocking Gouken I'm expecting to be a complete pain in the arse though :sad:

The only thing I'd say against this game is that I'm not a huge fan of some characters. Rose? Honestly, who fights with a scarf?

Then M. Bison completely owns her. Good!

Also Rufus is about as annoying as characters get.

There seems to be too many Wrestlers and Ken/Ryu clones for my liking. I guess actually I like all the clones. Too many wrestlers though ¬¬

I would highly reccomend the official pad. You'll probably find your abilities aren't so crap after all.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I have the money to buy a pad at the moment.

I'm finding myself faring much better online than on the arcade mode. Maybe that's because the general skillset isn't so high yet, or I've not met any 'proper players'. But for the time being I'm enjoying kicking a lot of flamboyant arse as Dan.

I'm not finding the offline game particularly straight-forward either; Medium I can't very far into, whereas the two times I've tried Easy I've blitzed it in minutes. Balance is slightly off there, methinks -- and what happened to the "9 stars" approach to difficulty..?

Argh! I went through the Normal Trials without any real difficulty with Akuma, but the Hard Trials seem impossible. Is this something to do with the pad (PS3 for me) or is there a technique for Akumas first Hard Trial that's super secret special?

I can get the first 3 moves in, up to the 'EX Focus Canceled' I believe it is, but I can get a Hard Punch in after that no matter what I do - Quick presses, dash after the Focus, dash to cancel the Focus.

Any tips to make me not break my controller?

Any tips to make me not break my controller?

God no. I spent like fifteen minutes trying to pull off one of the Normal trial combos with Ken. I took one look at the Hard trials and said "eff that." Apparently, I'm not as good at Street Fighter as I once thought. Then again, I skipped all of Alpha and barely touched 3 so it's to be expected.

I am, at least, thankful that they made it so characters can be unlocked on the easiest difficulty. Makes it less of a pain to get through (although it's annoying that in a 1 v 1 game you have about a third of your characters locked to begin with.)

The "Defeat Gouken on Hardest Difficulty" achievement, however, will permanently remain outside of my reach.

FUHHHHHHK. I had two perfects and three ultra finishes, and I go and lose to Seth on the easiest difficulty. Fucking shit. :frusty:

FUHHHHHHK. I had two perfects and three ultra finishes, and I go and lose to Seth on the easiest difficulty. Fucking shit. :frusty:

Hah, man, exactly the same thing just happened to me. I ought to put it on 5 rounds next time.

Bison (dictator) is brilliant for this though, the computer doesn't block psycho crushers properly in the first few rounds so you get so many cheese perfects, and his ultra is very easy to connect with (it starts with two of his forward flip kicks which can hit air or ground).

Other news: Hori ps3 stick ordered, time to end this shoulder button nonsense.

Funnily enough I love using the shoulder buttons. People online are so annoying. I'm not up to that sort of muscle memory level yet, but at least I try to use technique. Yes, I could spam fireballs and psycho crushers, but I want to have some semblance of effort in a victory.

I got Gouken and Seth tonight. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I put it to one round and got the Perfects and Ultras fairly easy with the Raging Demon.

Little tip, you can press LP,LP and then press <-,LK, and HP simultaneously. This helped me loads with performing the Ultra almost instantly.

I played my first online games as well. Got absolutely trounced by Zangief, he just spun past fireballs and used his green fist attack and Piledrivers. But after that I beat someone playing Ken, which was a really fun fight that I ended with a Raging Demon.

I need to play some friends for the most fun though I expect.

:tup:

I've convinced myself to buy this game, but have yet to decide what system to get it for. Who's playing what?

I'm on 360, along with Wrestlevania. We had a few matches tonight and it was good fun. Always nice to play against non-random people because they tend to play for fun and experimentation and don't stick 100% with the familiar characters. If I don't see another Ken/Ryu player (and I say this as someone that does prefer using Ken), it won't be too soon.

It's just a shame you can't have multi-person game lobbies like SF2 Live had. Winner stays, loser passes on to the next player. Non playing characters watch the match. That was the great thing in that game (despite its shitty netcode) and it would be really welcome here.

I've convinced myself to buy this game, but have yet to decide what system to get it for. Who's playing what?

I've got both versions and I'd say the 360 is the better of the two. Obviously gameplay wise they're the same, but the 360 version has better resolution and the load times are almost non-existent from the HD. I would suggest if you're getting the 360 version to get a stick or fightpad, or else the d-pad will rip your thumb apart. I've got a cracking blister.

I'm on PS3.

From what I've heard and seen, the only difference between the two is that the 360 version has anti aliasing but it's not even really noticeable when you're fighting. PS3 has a better pad though, unless you're planning on buying a stick or pad especially.

PS3 also, mostly for the dpad (even if you have an arcade stick, you're still not subjecting any opponents to using a bad dpad if you want to play 1v1). I like fighters more on the ps3 for some reason too.

My 360 is one of the early models with no HDMI so games tend to look better on my ps3, more of a personal concern.

PS3 version for me too. If you install it (optional) the load times are okay.

Yeah, by the way, can you tell me where I can find the install option on PS3? I'd be very much obliged if I got help on this, because part of the reason I'm buying more games on it is that my 360 only has 20GB.

It's buried in one of the settings menu items. I played on my friend's copy, online mostly, and got annoyed with EVERYONE playing as Ken, and shoryuken'ing me to death CONSTANTLY.

I'm on 360, along with Wrestlevania. We had a few matches tonight and it was good fun. Always nice to play against non-random people because they tend to play for fun and experimentation and don't stick 100% with the familiar characters. If I don't see another Ken/Ryu player (and I say this as someone that does prefer using Ken), it won't be too soon.

Yeah, enjoyed that too - even though you wiped the floor with me. :owned:

My biggest single frustration with the game comes down to input; you cannot play the game as intended with the standard Xbox 360 controller. It simply isn't possible.

I'll be buying one the official pads in the next week or so.

I played on my friend's copy, online mostly, and got annoyed with EVERYONE playing as Ken, and shoryuken'ing me to death CONSTANTLY.

Really? I love facing all the Ken/Ryu players - most of them just don't know the game that well, default to those characters and are therefore incredibly predicatable and easy to beat. :grin:

My brother came over this weekend and we played a bit, used my arcade stick from Soul Caliber 4. Worked alright, but I am amazingly awful at these games and could barely pull off kens most basic moves. Other than that I was just jump kicking -> tripping my brother over and over again until he started using zangief to dominate my ass. Zangief is terribly OP c/d?

I've played more online. Finally starting to kick some ass. A lot of people just jump and do their cheap move, but I can counter that most of the time by EX combos and Focus timing.

Yeah, by the way, can you tell me where I can find the install option on PS3? I'd be very much obliged if I got help on this, because part of the reason I'm buying more games on it is that my 360 only has 20GB.

Christ, I didn't even realised there was an install option, just because every other Capcom game does an automatically install. Cheers for the heads up!