Wrestlevania

Street Fighter IV

Well I already have the 360, which I think is the better version anyway, I only play it on PS3 because I have a decent pad. Playing it with the normal 360 pad is pure thumb torture.

Tournament update is out. Go get it.

Sorry, any excuse to use this image :mock:

back2future.jpg

Anybody still playing this? Best Buy Canada was having a sale for Victoria Day, and I just ordered it from their website on sale. When it arrives, I'd be more than happy to have a few rounds with my fellow thumbs...

EDIT: 360 version, to be clear.

I'll be brutally honest: I haven't touched it in weeks. I'm very poor at the SFIV it seems, which I found rather depressing after the time I pumped into SFII & III: 3rd Strike over the years.

I'd be up for a scrap, but I can't promise to be much competition. :violin:

S'alright. I expect to be utter crap as well. I haven't really played SF since the Game Boy Advance version of SFII back in about 2001. I've always just kinda fumbled my way through. This would be why I'm looking for thumb competition rather than pros.

I haven't played it in a few weeks, but I haven't played anything but Space Invaders Extreme in a few weeks. If you see me online, send me a note and I'd be game.

My copies are currently in my "to sell" pile. I've put around 40 hours into it but I've become increasingly annoyed of move spamming retards, so I've decided to throw in the towel before I blow a gasket. Shame really, I probably would have kept it if Capcom had included a lobby system.

If you see me online, send me a note and I'd be game.

Maybe we could have a post-Grand Thumb Auto punch-up?

I think you and I were meant to be taking a spin through The Club a while ago, too, Mike... :getmecoat

Horrendously late to the party, but I've finally started playing this. I'm very torn as to how to feel about it. On the one hand, the game, when I can control it, is awesome. On the other hand, that "when I can control it" crops up waaaay too frequently. I got trounced on Easy with a character I know just because I can only pull off special moves 1/4 of the times I try them. Goddammit. How much is a fight pad?

I was so fucking excited for this, as Street Fighter 2 (Champion Ed) on the Genesis was the game that reignited my love affair with video games, and I played the shit outta that game. Constantly. So, I hear about this - and naturally I'm excited. I even bought one of those Sega Saturn USB controllers on ebay so I would have the perfect D-Pad. I was sooooo pumped.

And then I got the game.

At first, it was fun just seeing how much I still had the mechanics of it burned into my subconscious. I felt really nice for a few minutes and then that dreadful feeling crept over me. I've moved on. It's not fun anymore. This doesn't speak to me like it used to. I tried to get past it but I just couldn't shake it. 2 hours later, I admitted it to myself.

I'm sorry Blanka. We had some great times - but this is where we part ways.

Horrendously late to the party, but I've finally started playing this. I'm very torn as to how to feel about it. On the one hand, the game, when I can control it, is awesome. On the other hand, that "when I can control it" crops up waaaay too frequently. I got trounced on Easy with a character I know just because I can only pull off special moves 1/4 of the times I try them. Goddammit. How much is a fight pad?

infrequently? :erm:

Well, times when I can control it crop up infrequently, but the issue that made me say "when I can control it" crops up frequently. This is what I meant.

I went to EB after posting that while running errands elsewhere. They don't have fight pads, but they had the whole stick deal. Didn't feel up to dropping $100 on it, but at least I know there are other viable methods out there.

EDIT: After another hour or so with the game, I think I'm starting to get a feel for Guile. Never one of my favorite original World Warriors, but I like the way he plays in this one. Still open for a game if any thumbs still play this one online. The quick game matchmaking is, in a word, abysmal.

Edited by miffy495

It's been months since I played. I've been thinking about maybe trying again, but now most of the chaff will have stopped playing, I expect nothing but total thrashings online.

Which doesn't mean I'm snubbing anyone here, but I've no interest in playing with anyone other than friends - i.e. Thumbs - now. Even if that means a thrashing as well.

I was planning to make myself a stick out of arcade parts and a spare, wired Xbox 360 controller I lent my brother. But he's still not returned it, and I'm fairly ambivalent to the whole SFIV thing (as you can probably tell) now anyway.

Still, if other Thumbs want to punch each other in the teeth, I'm game. :tup:

Edited by Wrestlevania

Took it online tonight. Did not win a single round. Goddamn, there's some really stiff competition out there. Was hoping they'd at least try to match me with comparably skilled players...

I'm still playing, just not everyday anymore. :)

I'm on PS3 though so I can't offer you some friendly games. :sad:

Best thing I found for getting my skill level up at the start, was to watch videos of good players using the same character and read up on what are the best combos and tactics vs certain characters. I was visiting the Shoryuken forums religiously for a while, where I got most of the combos and videos. Then it's just a matter of practicing the combos so they become ingrained in muscle memory and can be used consistently during actual matches.

The great thing about SFIV is that it's the kind of game that you can just jump into whenever. Hadn't played in a month or so, and last night jumped in for a few matches with a friend. There was a little rust, on both sides, but it all came back quickly and it was an intense battle. Even recorded it

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vonci4I4W4U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vonci4I4W4U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

We still make a lot of mistakes, but I'd say we're above average players.

Anyone else still playing, or even dabbling? I could go for some more bouts against other people.

The great thing about SFIV is that it's the kind of game that you can just jump into whenever. Hadn't played in a month or so, and last night jumped in for a few matches with a friend. There was a little rust, on both sides, but it all came back quickly and it was an intense battle. Even recorded it

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vonci4I4W4U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vonci4I4W4U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

We still make a lot of mistakes, but I'd say we're above average players.

Anyone else still playing, or even dabbling? I could go for some more bouts against other people.

I am tempted to pick up a copy, I have been really enjoying MVC2 (despite sucking at it).

Also does anyone have any advice n which Sticks are good (out of the cheap sf4, the hori, or the tournament if its decently priced).

I'm loathed to try it again.

Last time I played, I unintentionally plummeted into Whineycuntsville by dismantling what I loved about the franchise - and this latest iteration - and what I hated about the Xbox 360's controller hobbling my enjoyment.

See? Done it again. :getmecoat

I finally bought it and don't have as many problems with the control system although I do find myself doing some weird switches between the stick and the D-pad.

A guy at work has started putting custom sticks together and pay day is coming up so I've decided to get in on a proper peripheral.

Right now my real struggle is to effectively pull off super moves with the charge characters. After unlocking Fei Long I had a blast with his ultras in the challenges.

Wow. I have no use or desire for a fighting stick, but I still want one of those.

Downside being that the pre built one costs £190 and doesn't work with the 360.

Downside being that the pre built one costs £190 and doesn't work with the 360.

That's a pretty big downside.

I wanted a stick but MadCatz's stupid supply constraints forced me to get a pad (needed something besides the regular XBox controller) and, frankly, I don't really want a stick anymore. It's more that sufficient for me. Most of my Street Fighting of yore was done on the SNES and not the arcade, so it's a throwback in that sense. Plus, it works very well with Mega Man 9 and Splosion Man.