Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

But something touched me deep inside,

The day vidgms died.

E: Do you like Indian Jones?

Do you like Minecraft?

Are the answer to either of those no?

Who cares, watch this absolutely astonishingly awesome thing anyway.

http://vimeo.com/27854932

Edited by Orvidos

Witchcraft!

If the Insane Clown Posse thought magnets were magic wait till they see this. At a certain point science does start to look like magic, and we are rapidly approaching that point.

QUANTUM PHYSICS, HOW DO THEY WORK?

Both the Minecraft and the levitation videos were too much for my sleep-deprived brain this morning.

At a certain point science does start to look like magic, and we are rapidly approaching that point.

To be honest, that thing looks more unbelievable, more impressive and more awesome than any magic trick I have seen.

Quite illustrative explanation of the superconductor levitation:

GHtAwQXVsuk

Of course, we are still left with the basic problem of how magnets work.

The difference being of course that magic uses normal physics in unusual ways to achieve things that seem impossible whereas science is starting to use unusual physics in new way to do things that seem impossible. That double whammy is mind-breaking.

You can explain to my stupid monkey brain a thousand times how superconductivity or quantum physics work but I will never normalize them in the same fundamental way as I do, say, gravity.

I have no idea how that works, but am certain that it will eventually work its way into a children's toy that I will have to own regardless of whether or not I have children.

It's incredibly neat. Of course, the -166 degrees Celsius requirement for the superconductors is a bit of a bottleneck. Could toys come prepackaged with liquid nitrogen?

This is not really comical, buuuuut it's really good:

http://vimeo.com/13780892

Replying to a post from two pages ago!

Muppet needs to open a screw, says "This is where my pen knife comes in handy", takes out a Swiss army knife which clearly has a screwdriver, opens the knife and starts using the knife as a screwdriver. FFFUUUU

That's. . .wow. That's. . .I love it, and yet, it terrifies me.

I can't decide if this is ridiculously awesome or just ridiculous.

Having the same problem. I would definitely try it if I got the chance, just for the experience.