Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

I have a very limited amount of patience for TrackMania, primarily because the mode people generally play it in is something akin to jet-plane-speed platforming, but this is pretty cool.

1UcQmJwTnBg

That is so cool :tup: (I bet we see it in a Hollywood Matrix-style movie soon.)

p8Rt2A28yHk

This guy posts quite a bit on YouTube and his blog, you should check it out.

That's really, really cool... How long must it have taken for one guy to do that? (Assuming it's not on a server because of the Netherworldy bits.)

i3RqDp7i308

That may be the best thing I've seen in a while. I can't stop laughing. I must show this to everyone I know!

I have a very limited amount of patience for TrackMania, primarily because the mode people generally play it in is something akin to jet-plane-speed platforming, but this is pretty cool.

1UcQmJwTnBg

You know, I am not even sure what is going on here, but I am glad I live in a world in which things like this vid can be made with relatively little effort, by a relative layman with an idea, for no reason whatsoever. :tup:

That's really, really cool... How long must it have taken for one guy to do that? (Assuming it's not on a server because of the Netherworldy bits.)

He explains the netherworld transition in

, he also has a series of videos showing how he makes the videos. Part 1

Check out his channel, he has all sorts of stuff.

You know, I am not even sure what is going on here, but I am glad I live in a world in which things like this vid can be made with relatively little effort, by a relative layman with an idea, for no reason whatsoever. :tup:

It's a thousand replays of a thousand different races of the same track being played simultaneously. It's pretty amazing, to my eyes.

It seems like the spread of the trajectories is too random. I would expect most play-troughs to follow the more-or-less same path, no? Unless there is a bunch of cars in each race...

It seems like the spread of the trajectories is too random. I would expect most play-troughs to follow the more-or-less same path, no? Unless there is a bunch of cars in each race...

The way the TrackMania games are set up (AFAIR) is that you can simply browse a gigantic library of recordings/ghosts and tracks/car skins. So you could potentially grab a thousand different runs, or however many you need until it is sufficiently random.

That said, it could just be the same guy running the same three minute map a thousand times, or ten, one hundred car races, or a hundred ten car races. I don't really know. The project is so old ('04) that there probably aren't any remaining design/project docs.

Edit a few minutes later: Actually, thinking about how TrackMania works and how this is filmed, it's probably intentionally done this way. Even if it's just 1000 people sending in a replay with a random track time/route, it was probably done specifically for this. The fact that only two skins are in evidence (and they're custom skins, not free ones) means that the skins are probably intentional for the nice "fountain of color" effects, and the like.

So yeah, in a real TM game, they'd all be trying to find the perfect line, at 400 MPH, so this is, in all likely-hood, staged. Still neat though.

The way the TrackMania games are set up (AFAIR) is that you can simply browse a gigantic library of recordings/ghosts and tracks/car skins. So you could potentially grab a thousand different runs, or however many you need until it is sufficiently random.

That said, it could just be the same guy running the same three minute map a thousand times, or ten, one hundred car races, or a hundred ten car races. I don't really know. The project is so old ('04) that there probably aren't any remaining design/project docs.

Edit a few minutes later: Actually, thinking about how TrackMania works and how this is filmed, it's probably intentionally done this way. Even if it's just 1000 people sending in a replay with a random track time/route, it was probably done specifically for this. The fact that only two skins are in evidence (and they're custom skins, not free ones) means that the skins are probably intentional for the nice "fountain of color" effects, and the like.

So yeah, in a real TM game, they'd all be trying to find the perfect line, at 400 MPH, so this is, in all likely-hood, staged. Still neat though.

4INznEvm3Zs

That was posted October 10 - 2009. I found this French project plan. (Babel Fish English version)

The last post referring to it's completion was posted on the 30th of December 2010 which seemed to suggest that it would be done soon.

The project is so old ('04) that there probably aren't any remaining design/project docs.

I tried to get in touch with them a few years ago, but the only email addresses I could trace it to bounced. Glad to see they still appear to be making stuff.

He explains the netherworld transition in
, he also has a series of videos showing how he makes the videos. Part 1

Check out his channel, he has all sorts of stuff.

Is there a short answer? :grin:

That 10k trailer doesn't look anywhere near as beautiful as the 1K one. I think part of what makes the original so pretty is just how... beautiful it is. From editing to music, to the 1,000 yellow cars flowing like water particles. Just wonderful.

That 10k trailer doesn't look anywhere near as beautiful as the 1K one. I think part of what makes the original so pretty is just how... beautiful it is. From editing to music, to the 1,000 yellow cars flowing like water particles. Just wonderful.

I think the 10K bit is done in Midtown Madness 2 France, which is a horrible, shitty piece of shit. (Though I wasn't aware it was released for anything but the Xbox, which is. . .odd.)

So yeah, it probably won't be great.

As for the 1K video being posted in '09, the project was done on a TM fansite in '04, gained huge popularity off some video site (I forget which one) in '06, so it's nice to see they're doing it again. Even if the scope of their dreams might out-pace the reach.

I think the 10K bit is done in Midtown Madness 2 France, which is a horrible, shitty piece of shit. (Though I wasn't aware it was released for anything but the Xbox, which is. . .odd.)

So yeah, it probably won't be great.

As for the 1K video being posted in '09, the project was done on a TM fansite in '04, gained huge popularity off some video site (I forget which one) in '06, so it's nice to see they're doing it again. Even if the scope of their dreams might out-pace the reach.

Midtown Madness 3 was Xbox, pretty fun for a game I got for free.

That is so cool :tup: (I bet we see it in a Hollywood Matrix-style movie soon.)

The idea was stolen by at least one car commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnAhv26AEBw

and I seem to remember seeing others too. Maybe even with the same music, but that might be my memory playing tricks.

I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt until the scene where they had the cars flying over the picturesque terra-cotta roofs.

Is there a short answer? :grin:

Sure, he dug a hole in the ground in the overworld that the cart drops down to nowhere, then he goes to the underworld through a portal, creates a a new track that drops in the same way and then edits the shots together.

4INznEvm3Zs

That was posted October 10 - 2009. I found this French project plan. (Babel Fish English version)

The last post referring to it's completion was posted on the 30th of December 2010 which seemed to suggest that it would be done soon.

It's like watching really fast colourful ants!

Because the Obligatory horrorshow YouTube thread doesn't exist:

p9kfcEga0lk

f_WaxuN4o78

Another really great one. Just a normal dude talking about working at the disney theme parks with an interesting style and funny animations

I am a bit bothered by the fact that Keynes is portrayed as the pimp with the hangover and Hayek is the level-headed geek who gets no respect—especially considering that the Austrian school of economics has been ruling all US economic considerations for the past quarter century. Fuck that shit.

I am a bit bothered by the fact that Keynes is portrayed as the pimp with the hangover and Hayek is the level-headed geek who gets no respect—especially considering that the Austrian school of economics has been ruling all US economic considerations for the past quarter century. Fuck that shit.
I'd say they give Hayek his fair props. He gets just as much rap time as Keynes does and gets to do it while Keynes is hungover, maybe a metaphor even for keynes' economic theories?