Chris

Idle Thumbs 8: Green Lantern is the Blindfolded Fool

Really enjoyed episode eight. The massive shit was interesting and I was thoroughly entertained. Keep up the good work!

Good episode... I kind of want to play that LBP level... If only I had a PS3 at home...

After watching this episode, I'm starting to wonder how many domains point to idle thumbs now? Can we get a page whipped up with the list of all the urls? :P

One thing though... maybe I'm the only person with super low attention span but after 45 minutes I just get tired and stop paying attention... maybe it's because I don't listen to it while doing else because I don't have an ipod or anything and I sit at home listening to the show on iTunes. Are podcasts typically this long?

Are podcasts typically this long?

Yes. I'm actually thankful for IdleThumbs because they're typically a lot shorter than some of the other gaming podcasts which seem to meander aimlessly for up to (and sometimes well in excess of) two hours. :tdown:

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I would like to welcome all the shackers to the forums. Hang around we've got more than just the podcasts!

We do?! Where?

Well we've got the forums. And... The old articles are still on the site. Somewhere.

I also saw that Chris (remo) posted something on gamesetwatch, so we should we getting some folks from there too right? So...

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF VIDEO GAMES JOURNALISM OF TOMORROW! (and distorted pop culture references)

---

On the podcast length, here's my crazy proposal: make it ~45 minutes, drop (edit out?) some of the injokes and tangents. They're fun, though some of them are extremely obscure stuff that the forumites (like me) would get, and I feel it's more fun for you guys making the podcast than us. I think you guys are getting better with each episode, though, so don't feel like my feedback means that I hate you or anything.

On the podcast length, here's my crazy proposal: make it ~45 minutes, drop (edit out?) some of the injokes and tangents.

I just disagree with this, sorry. I really like the length as-is.

:innocent::naughty:

I'm sure everyone's preferred podcast length will be different. For me--in the previous incarnation of the Thumbcast--I felt like the 45 minute mark length was too short, whereas a 1.5+ hour cast (pretty standard in some other 'casts) seems a bit daunting and prone to meandering.

I also saw that Chris (remo) posted something on gamesetwatch, so we should we getting some folks from there too right? So...

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF VIDEO GAMES JOURNALISM OF TOMORROW! (and distorted pop culture references)

No no. You're doing it all wrong. If you want people to come here in droves you have to write about the PROBLEMS OF Video game JOURNALISM. In parts. :shifty:

No no. You're doing it all wrong. If you want people to come here in droves you have to write about the PROBLEMS OF Video game JOURNALISM. In parts. :shifty:

or even better, write about "problems of Video game journalism in parts" in parts

Hey, it's a great podcast starring Nick Breckon and Chris Remo! It's like the shackcast again!

Anyway, I just got pointed to this today and I'm listening to the rest now. I've also made a blog post about how awesome Idle Thumbs is, so now my LITERALLY TENS of readers will greatly enrich your coffers.

On the podcast length, here's my crazy proposal: make it ~45 minutes, drop (edit out?) some of the injokes and tangents.

I'd also favor ~45 minutes. But around an hour is ok as well.

I sometimes also feel like the injokes/laughter/tangents might get too obscure, but on the other hand I think the guys have done a pretty good job so far walking that tightrope. The first time that there were 4 hosts (with Steve) they might have wobbled a lot, and it almost went too far into randomness, but every podcast since then has had in my opinion a nice balance between laughter and joking around and actual content. :)

I just disagree with this, sorry. I really like the length as-is.

:innocent::naughty:

I'm sure everyone's preferred podcast length will be different. For me--in the previous incarnation of the Thumbcast--I felt like the 45 minute mark length was too short, whereas a 1.5+ hour cast (pretty standard in some other 'casts) seems a bit daunting and prone to meandering.

With you on this one, Metallus. The length is just about perfect to last me all the time I need to spend on Transit getting to school/work on any given day, which means I get entertained for exactly the right amount of time. Maybe plus 10 minutes of sitting around at home listening to the last little bits of reader mail, but I enjoy that part too. This podcast is about the perfect length. Please don't start trimming the asides and hysterics. They're a part of what sets it apart from the less listenable podcasts.

Yeah the interruptions are getting better too (as in less frequent). It sounded like Chris put his foot down at one point in order to finish what he was saying, so well done there. Someone has to play Chairman after all. But a little bit of messing about is fine and adds to the atmosphere. Length is about right for me too; I wouldn't trim it below 60 mins.

There's definitely a balance between letting someone talk, and not missing the chance to bring up something new which would otherwise pass by forever (or just taking the chance to shit on someone), and I think we'll probably get better and better at this as time goes by.

For instance, this week, I actually let Nick actually talk instead of ask him a bunch of confusing questions and accidentally try to touch him, or whatever it was I did in the past.

What, did you accidentally try to touch him, or did you try to "accidentally" touch him? And where?

I actually pointed at his chair which was squeaking a lot due to him shuffling around while recording, and he misinterpreted it as me trying to touch his arm, which caused massive insanity and failure for a minute. I think it's at the end of episode 3 or 4?

I actually pointed at his chair which was squeaking a lot due to him shuffling around while recording, and he misinterpreted it as me trying to touch his arm, which caused massive insanity and failure for a minute. I think it's at the end of episode 3 or 4?

You guys need to step it up to TVcasts

You guys need to step it up to TVcasts

yeah.. front seats to witness the destruction Chris' furniture