brkl

DeathSpank

I didn't really know what to think about this game at first, even though Ron Gilbert is involved. Maybe it's the name, but it didn't sound appealing at first. Now I've seen these, and I'm a believer:

The Battle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfT3QqudNSY

The RPG - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJONvyGjOk

The Adventure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj0UgIs9a8

I really liked the first episode of the Penny Arcade game, so I expect I'll be buying this too if it runs on this god-awful laptop which is my only potential gaming platform here in Scotland.

Those trailers made a lot more interested in this game as well. I hope we'll actually get to see some gameplay (or the actual game) soon.

Has there even been rumors on when this is going to be released?

I enjoyed those trailers. :yep:

It seems every single time I visit YouTube for any reason whatsoever, some ass comment gets on my nerves:

Sorry Ron but the Diablo/Adventure mix just isn't working for me.

You are better at making stories.

The funny items are not enough to relieve the tediousness of leveling up.

Get back to what you do best : a funny, well done adventure with the rare fight if necessary (think cinemaware) but not endless hack'n slash like this.

Shame.

:spiraldy:

Maybe we should ask that guy where he got the game so he could write that in-depth review.

Who in the world reads comments that other people leave anywhere? It's such a ridiculous practice, I can't fathom its usefulness.

Regardless, Deathspank will probably be fun. Ron's been wanting to make this for quite some time, so I'm curious what it'll be. I will agree that the immediate premise is too vague to really know what's going to happen, but screenshots should remedy that.

I still want to play the Penny Arcade games by the way.

People always like knowing what other people think about something, whether it's to reinforce their own feelings or to give them something to argue about. :)

We wouldn't all be sat on forums, otherwise!

It appears someone agrees with you Rodi...

# TzG Says:

April 26th, 2008 at 7:50 am

wouldn't this end up blocking all comments on the count that they all suck?

...although apparently not seeing the irony.

Who in the world reads comments that other people leave anywhere? It's such a ridiculous practice, I can't fathom its usefulness.

After reading this I am wondering that myself. (You set yourself up, here, sorry man. I hereby prescribe you: Your own medicine.)

Also, I recommend YouTube Comment Snob. Possibly the best Firefox plugin ever. It hides YouTube comments which contain too many spelling mistakes, no capital letters or punctuation, gratuitous capital letters or punctuation, gratuitous profanity, etc. It doesn't censor against unnecessarily verbose pretentious wanking, unfortunately, but it does get rid of 99% of the useless garbage in YouTube comments.

Edit: Oops! I apparently didn't read the whole thread (can't fathom why), and missed that Nappi already linked to the comment snob. Sorry for the repeat information.

Hehe, but you know there's a difference between a forum that you've visited for years and years, which has an ecosystem of interesting people that you feel a connection with, and some random Youtube site visited by huge quantities of trolls who have nothing interesting to say except that they've posted first, or egregious oneliners.

Who in the world reads comments that other people leave anywhere?

I used to read the comments left on the fabulous articles and news posts on idlethumbs.net

This game reminds me a lot of the Munchkin card game.

I found the first Penny Arcade game to be dull and one-dimensional, even though I was a fan of Paper Mario and The Thousand-Year Door (a game it takes after a fair bit, I thought). Was the second one an improvement over the first one?

I hope Deathspank doesn't suck. The screenshots are a bit tired-looking.

I found the first Penny Arcade game to be dull and one-dimensional

I tried the demo but didn't like it. I'm not a big fan of PA anyway (although the comics are quite often good).

I hope Deathspank doesn't suck. The screenshots are a bit tired-looking.

Yes, the screenshots didn't really impress :(

They look like there's been a huge amount of effort in to making them look crappy and 2d. I suspect this is one of those things you might need to see in motion to appreciate.

They look like there's been a huge amount of effort in to making them look crappy and 2d. I suspect this is one of those things you might need to see in motion to appreciate.
That's what I am hoping for.

I could never seem to find Ron's exact involvement in the Rain Slick games. It doesn't help there's no credits to be found anywhere on the internet.

I don't think the game looks that bad, maybe cluttered and sloppy somewhat and a little low poly, but it's definitely not anywhere near ugly. I'm excited to see what Mr. Adventure Game man can cook up in a game that's not solely adventure. That will be worth seeing.

I could never seem to find Ron's exact involvement in the Rain Slick games. It doesn't help there's no credits to be found anywhere on the internet.

I don't think the game looks that bad, maybe cluttered and sloppy somewhat and a little low poly, but it's definitely not anywhere near ugly. I'm excited to see what Mr. Adventure Game man can cook up in a game that's not solely adventure. That will be worth seeing.

The credits are on YouTube and Gilbert is credited alphabetically with all the other Hothead employees.

The credits are on YouTube and Gilbert is credited alphabetically with all the other Hothead employees.

Hmm, I couldn't find the video with a few different searches, but I'm guessing it's just sort of "Hothead Team:" and then lists the names as studios sometimes do?

Do you know with your insider scoops sort of what he contributed to the game? Did he help design a lot of it?