toblix

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮Mirror's Edge

Apparently, they got the universe and its History right (because it was kinda original for a game) and yet, they just completely screw the actual story of the game as well as the characters backstory... too bad :/

Yeah, and at the same time they stressed the importance of the story in an interview (done by Chris): http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3843/the_philosophy_of_faith_a_.php *

* note: have only played the demo so far.

So what's with the lame voice on the radio who tells you what to do? It sounds like he just walked out of Gears of War/Duke Nukem/X2. Totally out of place and cliched and just ruined the atmosphere for me :tdown:

Actually, more than anyone else, he reminds me of the dispatcher guy from Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future. I'd say he works out ok. Again, I'm another one who's only played the demo, but I didn't mind that guy at all.

Actually, more than anyone else, he reminds me of the dispatcher guy from Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future. I'd say he works out ok. Again, I'm another one who's only played the demo, but I didn't mind that guy at all.

Hmmm, yeah, I think I got the voice wrong. There's something about it that irks me, but I find it hard to explain what.

I played the demo again today, but that radio voice still bugs me. I think it's because the introduction is so absolutely, stunningly brilliant. It's like really good William Gibson. It hints at so much potential. A "runner" getting caught up in a struggle for the information that she's been entrusted to carry -- but it turns out to be some horrible conspiracy which ultimately ends up with her changing the oppressive society that everyone has gotten used to. (At least that's what I imagined should happen in the game.)

A sort of cross between the dire Johnny Mnemonic and Serenity, set in a beautiful but sterile world. It could be wonderful. There's just SO much potential there, especially for someone with some real talent to make something interesting out of the characters and the world...

But it all just fizzles out when the other main "character" is introduced: He's just so hopelessly banal and generic.

Maybe someone will get an opportunity to make something decent out of it in a sequel? They're certainly pushing it at the moment, so presumably it will sell well enough.

A "runner" getting caught up in a struggle for the information that she's been entrusted to carry -- but it turns out to be some horrible conspiracy which ultimately ends up with her changing the oppressive society that everyone has gotten used to.

That is exactly what I thought the game would be, but sadly they took the hackneyed, cliché laden route when it came to the story. The transportation of information aspect is completely ignored in favour of

tracking down the people who framed your sister for a murder she didn't commit.

Overall I'd say "hopelessly banal and generic" was a spot on observation, the characters couldn't have had any less depth without being a cop with two weeks till retirement.

I might have said this already, but I too was hoping that the story would be as fresh and minimalist as the art style. And yes it did have that cyberpunk-esque commentary on 'the system' built into it's city. I'm dissapointed to find out they completely failed to see the potential of what they had.

As a side note, I thought all the unlockable art was really awesome. I'd love to see them as wallpapers or something. And that's saying something, because I think wallpapers are fucking lame.

Also, I recently asked myself why I'm willing to spend so much time perfecting time trials to get that last star. Usually, I'd only do that when procrastinating a school assignment or something. Then it hit me -- I am procrastinating -- I'm putting off playing Resident Evil 4, which scares the shit outta me.

That is exactly what I thought the game would be, but sadly they took the hackneyed, cliché laden route when it came to the story. The transportation of information aspect is completely ignored in favour of

tracking down the people who framed your sister for a murder she didn't commit.

Holy Christmas, that's fucking awful. Why even bother creating such a cool world?

Does anyone else wonder if there was some guy with a brilliant idea who got steam-rolled by some idiotic exec?

Also, I recently asked myself why I'm willing to spend so much time perfecting time trials to get that last star. Usually, I'd only do that when procrastinating a school assignment or something. Then it hit me -- I am procrastinating -- I'm putting off playing Resident Evil 4, which scares the shit outta me.

Lol! :tup:

Holy Christmas, that's fucking awful. Why even bother creating such a cool world?

Does anyone else wonder if there was some guy with a brilliant idea who got steam-rolled by some idiotic exec?

I think what's probably more likely is that someone said "no wait, lets make this a trilogy." an so the writers had to beef up the first act to make it stand as a story on it's own (At least they didn't just stop with nothing resolved). There are hints at a big conspiracy, although it seems just as boilerplate as the rest of the plot.

I should make clear though that the game is still loads of fun and definitely worth getting.

Ahem, I think you mean someone said "no wait, this was always meant as a trilogy". Making something a trilogy as an afterthought? That's just ridiculous.

Whilst I could be totally wrong, I don't think it's ridiculous.

I mean who's to say if the designer's said "hey let's do a trilogy" first and built a story around that or if they came up with a story which clearly had three acts so they said "we can make that a trilogy".

I'm pretty sure toblix is being sarcastic signor ;)

Trilogy games are pretty cliche now, so much so that it's absurdly comical to me when a company announces that a soon to be released game is the first of a trilogy.

Yeah, I critically failed my sarcasm. I think it's even better when a game is announced as being the first in a trilogy long after its release, and it seems as almost a cheap way to legitimize a sequel after the financial success of the first game.

I don't yet know how I feel about the "Starcraft 2 trilogy", although from the press release it sounds at though they have slightly more legitimate reasons for expanding the game over three releases.

Awesome, only too bad they're not the original art, but rips from the game. Also, what the fuck?

DAMNIT I'm stuck! :frusty:

Chapter 7. Trying to jump from off a vent to an open ventillation shaft but there's a huge gap and slopey wall in the way. No idea how to get across and I keep falling down and having to climb all the way back up.

Has anyone completed this part and vaguely remember it? Because if you have any answers I'm all ears. GameFAQ's is empty. There's a ledge at the beginning where if you walk across it shows the opening you're supposed to get to but there's fencing in the way.

Makes me hate the game when I get in ruts like this, a better help system would have been nice - for example the guy on comms could chime in with something useful for a change.

Frustrated with singleplayer I tried out time-trial now I have my internet back and tried to beat Ben's time trial run on the intiial level. My first few attempts had me nearly 30 seconds off the pace and I was like; wtf?! But hanging back and watching his 'ghost' shows he goes a completely different way that cuts out nearly half of the jumping crap. I wonder whether that's in the singleplayer game, because it's pretty amazing if it is. Still couldn't beat his time, a couple of seconds off the pace, but it's addicitive and I was faster in a couple of areas so it's not like you run a single path and get a mechanical win.

Oh I'm sorry for not being a D.I.C.E. employee. I'm just not privy to all the new shit.

Sheesh, wise guy over here

I don't think he was (intentionally) being rude to you. :tmeh:

DAMNIT I'm stuck! :frusty:

Chapter 7.

I'm not there yet (close though) so I can't help, but I've been in a few of these "where the fuck do I go now" situations that the hint button doesn't really resolve. The worst is when you're in one of those stuck moments while some dudes with machineguns are shooting you. It's so fucking frustrating. This is a game that does not need guns, of any kind, and they had to game-ify it.

I can understand one motivation for it: it gives you greater urgency to keep moving. But there are other ways of doing that. Focus on the whole package delivery idea, have deadlines, have dangerous explosive packages, something other than this. I just wish the whole game was like a giant time trial. I'm liking that mode the best.

I'm not there yet (close though) so I can't help, but I've been in a few of these "where the fuck do I go now" situations that the hint button doesn't really resolve. The worst is when you're in one of those stuck moments while some dudes with machineguns are shooting you. It's so fucking frustrating. This is a game that does not need guns, of any kind, and they had to game-ify it.

I can understand one motivation for it: it gives you greater urgency to keep moving. But there are other ways of doing that. Focus on the whole package delivery idea, have deadlines, have dangerous explosive packages, something other than this. I just wish the whole game was like a giant time trial. I'm liking that mode the best.

Agreed, completely. I just played the first 3 chapters and I thought how much better this game could be without bullets flying at you from every direction. Then I switched to playing the time trials, which I'm enjoying more, but it's really hard to align yourself for some jumps and do it fast.