toblix

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮Mirror's Edge

I'm about 5 chapters through and I'm finding quite good fun. The combat is a little frustrating but not too bad.

I've come across some annoying checkpointing where it's saved right in front of a door so I have to open it every damn time and it's right be a really overly long jump sequence too.

They seem to do a bad job of pacing too, I get into a rhythm and then I'm either tottering across a tiny bar (which is lame in itself) or having to press a button or whatever.

Story seems ok so far too.

Just tried out the DLC preview map that's in the Playstation store right now and it's pretty rad, but it reminds me of my biggest annoyance with time trials: not being able to save a ghost when you don't get the target time. WHY!?? I've completed the track, let me have that ghost so that I can use it as a reference point as I try to get a qualifying time. Don't give it to me after.

I love the look of the map, but it is a bit of an adjustment when it first loads up. It's hard to get your bearings straight and sense of scale adjusted since it doesn't have any of the familiarity of the regular time trials.

But the map itself is fun, with a lot of different options and routes (not at all obvious at first). The biggest annoyance I have with it is that since it's a bunch of abstract shapes floating in space, you tend to fall off often. Like, a lot more often than the regular maps. If you hate constant fail-and-repeat play, you'd probably be best avoiding this, or Mirror's Edge in general.

(bump)

finally got around to this because I want the time trials DLC, and it was only 8 quid from Play. A games lecturer I know described it as "controlling a Blue Peter presenter on ketamine trying to do a Royal Marines assault course", which I think is about right. On trying the campaign out for a couple of evenings, I'm 5 chapters through it and with n0wak. It's Rick Dangerous 3D :( :( :(

The sheer amount of gotchas in the level design of this is atrocious. It turns it into a joyless trudge. In the first levels where you should be improving your skills and exploring a little, it has cops shoot at you a lot. It's like the game is saying "Are you ready? Huh? Yes? Ok then. BLAM! I shot you in the face you weren't ready for that. Okay try again. Ready? Go! OOHHHH! I PUNCHED YOU IN THE BALLS this time". On later levels this is only getting worse. I've had so little time to pause, practice and find out about any of the moves that I'm more than halfway through the game and only just able to string moves together competently.

I'm determined to finish this before going on to the DLC. I actually enjoy the bits without cops for the most part, but it could have done with a better tutorial than "press this button and this button to do this once. Ok, next move!" and assuming you'll remember when you first need it three levels later.

post-461-13375603167028_thumb.jpg

I want to get the D2D 5th anniversary deal, but it says it's country restricted. The UK version.

:eek:

"controlling a Blue Peter presenter on ketamine trying to do a Royal Marines assault course"

I get two out of three references. What characterises a Blue Peter presenter? Being a hot Asian chick?

Well it's kids/teens TV, and the female presenters are usually perky, often petite, cute but not overtly sexual, and usually a bit cool. Visually, Faith is a pretty good fit.

I agree with you Nachimir about the parts with the cops being no good, I did not enjoy the combat much of this game. I just love the running part though and think it is so well done, and such a beautiful game. I wish rather than being forced to fight, you could choose to run around the cops.

I don't know if you've trying putting it on easy yet, but it's one of those rare games that gets better the easier it is. Once you can take out cops with 2 kicks, you stop feeling restricted by the fighting sections and start feeling more like a badass, which is what the game was going for all along.

Also, I bought the game off Steam, so apparently, I can't get the DLC. Ugh.

Also, I bought the game off Steam, so apparently, I can't get the DLC. Ugh.
Wow, really? I think most Steam games still have a CD key if that is what you need, but I have it for 360 so I don't know where you download the PC DLC.

Yeah, I downloaded the DLC for Mass Effect and I bought that through Steam. I can't imagine EA would have a different standard for different games, and they are the same publisher. You need to get your CD key through the game info screens, but it is definitely in there. Should be quite doable.

I don't want to risk wasting the money...

There's a disclaimer on the Mirror's Edge DLC page saying it is only compatible with the EA online and CD versions of the game. No such disclaimer is attached to Mass Effect's DLC. Has anyone heard of anyone getting it to work?

That's so weird. I wonder why they use different systems for two of their own games? I just started up Fallout 3 on Steam as well, does anyone know if the DLC stuff will work with that version, or am I screwed?

As far as I can tell -- and from what I remember when playing it -- the Steam version is pretty much the retail version released on Steam. You get the DLC through GFWL. In any case, Steam should definitely not create any issues.

I just got this on steam a little over a week ago. A little late to the party but hey, I'm broke?

That DLC looks pretty, I hope they make it easier to get for me and other people who did the 'oh hey, this is 20 bucks now' impulse Steam buy.

On another note, after announcing to my Facebook of said purchase I got this message. "The end to Mirror's Edge is nice, you actually have to engage in combat for a change."

I still don't know if he was kidding, I didn't respond.

Most people didn't like the end to Mirror's Edge, but I didn't mind it. Without spoiling anything, I thought it was nice to see a more personal story rather than a "save the city/country/world/galaxy" that we're used to.

Me too.

To be honest, Mirror's Edge was one of only 3 or 4 games that came out within the past year that I was just blown away by. It gets a lot of bad press, but I was so in love with the style of the game that none of the rest of it really bothered me.

Can you play it with the voices turned down and subtitles on? Or maybe in a foreign language? I've never seen such a beautiful, unique concept shat all over in such a horrible way... Maybe losing the voice acting would help disguise the cheesy 2D characters?

Speaking of 2D, the one problem I had with the game was the animated cut scenes. Seeing how beautiful the game was in-engine, it seemed like a cheap cop-out to use shoddy animation as opposed to simply making a few quick 3D sets.

Me too.

To be honest, Mirror's Edge was one of only 3 or 4 games that came out within the past year that I was just blown away by. It gets a lot of bad press, but I was so in love with the style of the game that none of the rest of it really bothered me.

Yeah I would say Mirror's Edge was in my top 3 games of 2008. I just absolutely love the art style + the running. I still could bitch and moan about the bad parts of it all day long, but I think the good stuff outweighs it by enough to more than offset it.

I agree with you two. I was glued to it for 11 hours straight one sunday and finished it. The last level got frustrating going for no shots fired though,

Where the story of Mirror's Edge fell apart for me was the big reveal that

the big secret the government was killing people to cover up turned out to be a corps of police trained to deal with the city's massive illegal courier problem.

Aside from that we're just supposed to take it as given that the government is evil and that the runners are good. How can they be good when the only thing that makes sense for them to be transporting so clandestinely is drugs?

Agh the story for this game is such a train wreck.

Where the story of Mirror's Edge fell apart for me was the big reveal that

the big secret the government was killing people to cover up turned out to be a corps of police trained to deal with the city's massive illegal courier problem.

Aside from that we're just supposed to take it as given that the government is evil and that the runners are good. How can they be good when the only thing that makes sense for them to be transporting so clandestinely is drugs?

I always thought they were carrying "information" though I guess it doesn't really make sense to carry a bag when you could just have it on a usb stick or something *shrugs*

Yeah. In a Gamasutra interview, Rhianna Pratchett said she was brought in late to write the story when the game structure had already been finalized. Nothing really good could have come of that, but I think it still could have been a lot better.

I always thought they were carrying "information" though I guess it doesn't really make sense to carry a bag when you could just have it on a usb stick or something *shrugs*

Not to mention for the majority of the game they have unfettered and apparently undetected access to the internet.