toblix

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮Mirror's Edge

Yes, that's it! Thanks.

:woohoo:

I figured it wanted me to wall run there, I just didn't put it together with a jump to the other side of the room. Answer was (as always) staring me in the face - but jesus, how do I get that time back!?

I can understand one motivation for it: it gives you greater urgency to keep moving. But there are other ways of doing that. Focus on the whole package delivery idea, have deadlines, have dangerous explosive packages, something other than this. I just wish the whole game was like a giant time trial. I'm liking that mode the best.

It is sort of weird you only do one 'runner' type mission, and even that has combat in it. Maybe they were scared of its marketability without combat shenanigans.

Like Chris Remo says, games are always ruined by a bunch of suits putting guns everywhere. I actually didn't mind the combat that was one-way. That is, guys were coming out of doorways shooting at you, and it worked like the wall of fire in side-scrollers, creating an incentive to haul ass. The direct combat was pretty weak though, especially when you were in a room with a group of baddies. I always managed to get them, but I think I'd prefer escaping their hail of bullets in some spectacular fashion.

Is there some trick to the wall-running that I might be missing? I'm failing at that more than with anything else. Even when Faith wall-runs up to and against a ledge that I'm aiming for, she often doesn't grab it and falls down instead.

I find you can be speculative with where you initially start the wall-run, and that aiming upwards helps, just not too far as you want to keep momentum. But in the end I think it's mostly trial and error because I can do flawless runs of some areas and then 'bam' I'll miss that one easy part because I got cocky or something.

You, um, gotta have faith :woohoo:

I'm just happy to have finally completed it and put it behind me. 'Mirrors Edge and its infuriating but often sublime platforming taunts me no more!'

There was a great chase scene in chapter 8 and the footsteps of enemy runners pursuing was maddeningly tense & exciting (I can still hear their tip-tapping in my dreams ;(). They remind me of the assassins from Half-Life, but they didn't really use them enough. At one point I thought the plot was building up to their introduction as a major element but they sort of took a back seat and popped up again (without drama) at the end... bit of a waste I thought?

The finale was a let down too. I had no idea what was supposed to have happened, whether it was resolved, who that person was or their motives. Ignoring the plot elements the actual level itself was surprisingly shitty-easy. JUMP - that's it, really? Just a single jump!? I'm not spoiling it by telling you that - as they sort of spoiled it themselves by making it so - but I was expecting something a little more dramatic, substantial and conclusive. I guess spreading it out for a trilogy had some knock on effects, or I just wasn't paying attention, or both.

Still i really enjoyed the game, as when it's good it's really great. The mechanics of which are best exemplified in time trial mode, but it's when you're chasing someone, or being chased and everything is going well that it's at its most exciting.

Edited by Cigol

With wall-running, I only found out by accident that you can do the thing where you push the right bumper to turn around and then left trigger jump right off the wall.

With wall-running, I only found out by accident that you can do the thing where you push the right bumper to turn around and then left trigger jump right off the wall.

How come? That's in the tutorial.

Anyway, I found out what I was doing wrong with the wall-runs: at first I didn't realize you can jump forward (or jump/climb upwards) from a wall-run to reach farther. Learning that made it easier. Too bad I was already past more than half of the game and countless falls behind me when I found that out.

How come? That's in the tutorial.
Yeah, but I'm stupid. I thought it was a special click-click-click move that had to be performed in one go. I didn't realise the last two clicks could be done whenever.

He's your brother? :eek:

See, this was all revealed in the first Grand Thumb Auto session. We should make Gaynor's attendance mandatory, for more hot scoops such as the above!

This week: toblix turns out to be the bastard love-child of n0wak and Miffy drunkenly mistaking each other for strippers in a dodgy Broker nightclub.

So I beat the game and now I'm trying to get better times at the time trials. Have you guys tried racing against some of the world's best times? I don't get how they are able to maintain such momentum. I'm losing 2 seconds in the first leg of Playgrounds One already.

I actually beat the world's best guy on the first leg of Playground One once, but then, of course, it all went to shit. I gave up the time trials thing after getting the achievements for unlocking all the tracks and getting 20 stars or whatever. On a lot of the tracks I ended up always fucking up some minor thing towards the end, and I got tired of restarting. I'm kind of contemplating completing the game on hard to get the 80gp, but I'm not sure yet. The speed runs can go fuck themselves.

At least they got the message. All hail the inevitable sequel;

“The freedom of movement and control in first person has been the most popular aspect of Mirror’s Edge so we decided to distil these down to their purest form for this map pack,” says Owen O’Brien, Senior Producer, DICE. “We deliberately chose a more abstract aesthetic that is still within our distinctive art style and then focused on flow and gameplay to create an experience and challenge very different from the main game.”
nine races across seven all-new and totally redesigned Time Trial maps. No guns, no cops, and no city: this is true aesthetics, agility and flow that will challenge any runner. This special DLC pack will be available for $10 USD or 800 Microsoft points. As an added bonus, all PLAYSTATION 3 Mirror’s Edge fans will be able to download an additional map for free.

*what does it mean by no city? :erm:

Yeah where did they get the idea that people don't like the city? I like the city ;(

I think it looks good but there's too much bloom - something Yahtzee ripped on in his video 'review'. I think it's hilarious that the exclusive DLC PS3 owners have been waiting for is a collection of coloured blocks suspended in mid-air. Oh you really are spoiling us, there we were thinking there was just 9 variations on the theme - but no, ten! :grin:

Hmm.. I also like the city. But I'd buy these abstract levels for $10

Reminds me of the crazy bonus levels in Super Mario Sunshine (and, I guess, some of the regular levels in Galaxy). I love completely abstract stuff like that.

As those levels were the coolest part of Sunshine, I'm sold. Looks like I'll be picking this up on PS3 so I can get me some extra content. Hells yeah.

What? This is PS3 exclusive? Fuck me.:violin:

[edit]Oh, only one level is. Sorry, nevermind.

Great video. Seeing them in motion now reminds me more of those batty, abstract sci-fi posters you used to see in the 80s. Used to love those. :)

It also reminds me slightly, in a somewhat perverse way, of forth-coming pixellated indie platformer Fez... :getmecoat

I don't like platformers myself, but it's wonderful to see something as brave and distinct as the Mirror's Edge time trials pack.