Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Off-Road Velociraptor Safari

We've all seen some bonkers indie games in the past, but I think Raptor Safari has to take the biscuit at present:

raptor-safari.jpg

It's browser-based, which is interesting -- but it also means it's a bit of a dog in the performance stakes. Still very playable and a good laugh though. :tup:

Who's interested in starting an unofficial Thumbs scoreboard then?

Me me!!!

Good lad -- here we go then:

1. 1,615,650 - ThunderPeel2001
  2. 1,549,500 - BigJKO
  3. 1,050,000 - n0wak
  4. 878,900 - Nappi
  5. 877,400 - toblix
  6. 701,600 - Wrestlevania
  7. 584,850 - ysbreker
  8. 526,050 - Cigol
  9. 490,300 - miffy495
  10. 364,263 - DanJW

Well, I've only played once, but my score was:

How are we going to compile all this?

This is pretty fun, in this absurd, mindless way. Some of the tricks you inadvertantly pull can sometimes amaze me, and it's great you're awarded for doing wacky things like a barrel-roll.

Agreed. When I smacked a chain with two raptors on it into a third and got a super slow motion view of the collision, I was quite impressed.

I really hope they add the concept of friends and maybe user-created scoreboards -- or even leagues! Leagues would be amazing fun.

I think the game has massive potential as being a light, competitive multiplayer platform. I can already imagine things like "Hunt the Raptor" team play, which would have two groups of jeeps charging about the map trying to score the most points.

Can but dream; I may write to the developers and see if they'll chat.

Holy shit, you people are gaming gods. I've played five or six times, and I barely manage to get more than 100,000!

this is indeed a fun little game. I think I got about 500,000-ish my first go, but haven't been able to match that since. The 5 minute timer is pretty harsh.

Edit: also I like how the raptors are feathered, and the inclusion of raptor facts. Learning is fun!

Holy shit, you people are gaming gods. I've played five or six times, and I barely manage to get more than 100,000!

Carmageddon was and remains my very first love when it comes to driving games of any kind. Raptor Safari is very similar, which is why I think I'm enjoying it so much; the way the jeep handles is nigh identical in many ways.

Top Tip: Drag freshly mown-down raptor corpses, by hooking them with the spiked ball (hit spacebar to deploy/sever), into exporters - which are those glowing teleporter-type pads around the level - for huge points.

I like how the raptors are feathered, and the inclusion of raptor facts. Learning is fun!

Make sure you have a good look at the driver next time you play, too... ;)

And also make sure to post your scores, fellow Thumbs! Let's see if we can't get a respectable scoreboard - not to mention some healthy competition - going in this 'ere thread.

OK I can tell you that my average score is 364,263. The potential achievements on the profile page made me laugh too.

woot, 475,100! And unlocked Insurance Fraud achievement.

Make sure you have a good look at the driver next time you play, too... ;)

Is that... a raptor in a hat? :yep:

If you do email them, suggest the potential for Xbox LIVE arcade? If they need someone to do some of the footwork on compliance stuff for free (not including a debug kit and peripherals) I'd be happy to volunteer.

I suck at this game though so they'd need a separate functionality tester.

I saw the preview video for this on RPS and I thought it looked pretty disturbing (even with the knowledge that driver of the vehicle is a fellow raptor) - but finally playing it I didn't find it that shocking at all, I guess the video is pretty disconnected from it all.

The controls are a bit twitchy, and the car rolling around is annoying, but overall it's a remarkable game.

My highest score is 526,050 (274,550 exports, 71,350 stunts, 17,850 kills, 9 orbs, 12 variety)

Rather infuriatingly, I can't get anywhere near my highest score now. Probably trying too hard.

So I'm going after achievements for some variety, see if I can pick up any point-scoring tricks in the process as well.

The big red eggs, stashed around the level in hard-to-reach spots, yield surprisingly little score when you export them.

That's disappointing.

I'm playing it in Safari on my aging Windows laptop and it's running pretty smoothly, although the game has a habit of completely locking up after extended play.

Have you tried turning off sound? That's supposed to help.

Looking forward to the offline version becoming public though, as browser plug-ins have always been notoriously bad when it comes to memory leaks.