Wrestlevania

What are you waiting for?

Seeing as gaming's official slow month appears to be dragging on into multiples of said time span, owing largely to E3 being killed off, I was wondering what people are really looking forward to.

Me? I'm really excited about playing Forza 2. The recent Xbox Live demo was excellent - easily the best I've played on the system to date - and the first game was so good I can't wait to sample the refinements of the next-gen iteration.

In the mid-term, BioShock continues to look better and better. Especially now that the gameplay proper is coming to light. Can't wait to play that.

And in the longer term, both Assassin's Creed and GTA4 are holding my attention consistently--with Assassin's Creed probably capturing the most.

How about you?

Enemy Territory: Quake wars is game number one through ten on my most wanted list now. After that it's HL2: Episode 2 and portal. Beyond that I'm rather interested to see what Bioshock and Fallout 3 will be like. Other than that I'm having more than enough fun playing Wolvenstein Enemy Territory, Test drive unlimited and X-COM: terror from the deep (Thank you for ruining my sleep, again!)

Some good names. I'm definitely excited about seeing how Team Fortress 2 turns out, but I suspect I'll need to either a) buy a new PC to get the most out of it, or B) wait for the Xbox 360 version, which will seem somewhat perverse after playing Team Fortress Classic for years with a mouse.

Fallout 3 is certainly intriguing, but there are a couple of factors that are holding my enthusiasm in check--namely the long lead time until it's released, and the fact we've no idea (until next week at the very earliest) what Bethesda have done with the franchise. I'm hopeful they've made something interesting out of it, but I'm also worried they'll have just nailed a post-apocalyptic skin over the top of Oblivion. I'll feel robbed if they've done that.

Starcraft 2, though that's a while off still. In the short run; Bioshock, GTAIV and the big three on the Wii; Mario Galaxy, Metroid and Super Smash. Also, Mario Party! That'll be great on the Wii!

Gamespot says it sucks.

I'm waiting for Bioshock, Mass Effect, GTAIV and Fallout 3, all of which will require me to get a 360. For Wii, Super Mario Galaxies, Heroes and Metroid I guess.

I'm such a tool; I completely forgot to mention Too Human!

Gamespot says it sucks.

...eh? GameSpot itself sucks? Or are we picking one of the games already mentioned at random and applying vacuous suckage?

The game I'm most looking forward to is Assassin's Creed.

Bioshock I'm not quite as hyped about, but it's definitely on my list.

Also Quake Wars and all the games in the HL2-Ep2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. I'm cautiously interested in The Witcher.

Also Crysis, althought thats a ways off and will require a bank robbery to pay for a new PC.

This is a good time to not either not yet having been born or not to already being dead. Gameswise.

No More Heroes, for sure. Bioshock looks great, but I'm not sure about the "crazy nurse" thing that the gameplay footage kept on showing. Seemed like it could get pretty repetitive so I'll hold out for some reviews. Insecticide looks really cool, although there's not much known about it yet. Still, it's one I'll be keeping my eye on. And of course, GTAIV, MGSIV, DMCIV, and Half Life 2 Ep2 are all being anticipated greatly.

In the short term though, what I'm mostly waiting on is the arrival of my new Guitar Hero controllers so that I can resume the rocking. That and next month's "Guitar Hero Encore: The 80's" pack, which should be 30 new songs of awesome to keep me busy for a while.

For the future, those games are in my sig. For the present, I just got a huge haul of used games I always wanted to try (Breakdown, Advent Rising, Call of Cthulu, Phantom Dust, Lego Star Wars II, God Hand, Rez, Shadow of the Colossus, Rygar, and the still incompatible Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath), so I'll be satisfied for a while. :grin:

Ah yes, how could I forget Spore? Also, I'm somewhat intrigued by Haze.

And Braid, even though I recently read a preview that fucking spoiled the fucking ending in fucking detail.

And what's Haze?

Oooh. Free Radical as in Timesplitters and Second Sight? Must keep that on my radar as well.

Braid looks very clever, although I'm reserving judgement until actually playing it.

Bioshock looks great, but I'm not sure about the "crazy nurse" thing that the gameplay footage kept on showing. Seemed like it could get pretty repetitive so I'll hold out for some reviews.

That's a piss poor reason for being reserved about Bioshock. You didn't like the one enemy NPC they had finished for that old, old demo footage? Fine, in the finished game no two NPCs are the same.

Oh, and about Mario Party, I had been interested in it myself, but lost interest because of the Gamespot review. Didn't seem like something I'd pay for.

Well, the crazy nurse was just my main example of the people in general. The idea of just the Big Daddys and (I think they were called) Little Sisters going around and maintaining an essentially dead city intrigued me. Now that there are inhabitants, I find it a bit less interesting as a concept. I'll probably still play it and love it, it's just that the atmosphere has been lessened for me by all those people running around.

The idea of just the Big Daddys and (I think they were called) Little Sisters going around and maintaining an essentially dead city intrigued me. Now that there are inhabitants, I find it a bit less interesting as a concept.

The point of BioShock is that Rapture, the underwater city where the game is set, was originally populated by hyper-rich ego maniacs. The city was maintained and expanded by the Big Daddies, as the populance demanded more and more facilities.

You'll notice, in the example footage I originally linked to, that there's a lot of propaganda indemnifying people with regards to cosmetic surgery, wealth and the like. So it seems that Rapture is in fact one huge cult of socially elite fuck-ups.

Now imagine that place suffering a mysterious catastrophe, that wipes out most of the population, and leaves Rapture running basically on back-up systems--with no external supplies or help. Allow the remaining survivors to scratch out an ever-more desperate existence for several years, then insert player.

Personally, I can't wait to explore that; it's going to be fucking incredible.

Much like a lot of people, I'm waiting for...

Bioshock

Team Fortress 2

Quake Wars

Spore

Hellgate London

Starcraft 2

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

Some of those may be a while, but that covers most of what I'm interested in none the less.

For the future, those games are in my sig. For the present, I just got a huge haul of used games I always wanted to try (Breakdown, Advent Rising, Call of Cthulu, Phantom Dust, Lego Star Wars II, God Hand, Rez, Shadow of the Colossus, Rygar, and the still incompatible Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath), so I'll be satisfied for a while. :grin:

That's a fricking sweet selection of back catalogue of games, incidentally if you or anyone stumbles across the MP3's for Phantom Dust sound track please let me know.

In a perverse way I'm pretty keen on getting DiRt, the new colin Mcrae rally game. Apart from that the rest of the games that I'm keen on have already been mentioned.

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Really promising, methinks. Although I do hope that the final game takes a more slow and character-focused Grim Fandango-esque approach, that's a decidedly impressive first showing.

In other "waiting for" news, one of the games that I'd been looking forward to for a while dropped today on XBLA. Carcassone! My favorite board game (and the one I've devoted at least an hour or two a week to ever since the 10th grade) is playable online! I've had 4 games against the CPU now and one against two random strangers. The reports were true! People who play board games online really are a hell of a lot more civilized than most people who play, for instance, Gears. It's a very good conversion, and if you like the game at all, look into it.

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Really promising, methinks. Although I do hope that the final game takes a more slow and character-focused Grim Fandango-esque approach, that's a decidedly impressive first showing.

In other "waiting for" news, one of the games that I'd been looking forward to for a while dropped today on XBLA. Carcassone! My favorite board game (and the one I've devoted at least an hour or two a week to ever since the 10th grade) is playable online! I've had 4 games against the CPU now and one against two random strangers. The reports were true! People who play board games online really are a hell of a lot more civilized than most people who play, for instance, Gears. It's a very good conversion, and if you like the game at all, look into it.

I'm a sci-fi whore:

Metroid Prime 3

Mass Effect (and I don't even have an Xbox 360!)

Too Human

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

No More Heroes

To a lesser extent:

Dewy's Adventure

Zak & Wiki

Bioshock

And, my biggest hype, for things way way down the line:

KotOR 3 (if it is ever announced, and I hope it will be)

Fallout 3

Mind you, I can't actually afford to buy any of these. And I certainly haven't the time to play them. Nonetheless, there they are.

The big Wii titles: Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Super Paper Mario (European release :shifty: ). I'm getting increasingly interested in Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition as well, even though I'm usually not at all interested in horror games.

On the PC front, I'm really excited about Team Fortress 2. The graphic style alone makes me drool. I'm also somewhat interested in seeing how Fallout 3 will turn out, even though I haven't played any of previous games in the series (which might be a good thing because I can't really be mad at the major changes) and I have a bad feeling about this one. "I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire" is probably clouding my judgment quite a bit.

I'm sure there are other games I'm waiting for but am unaware of it.