Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Sixaxis controller wins emmy... what?

hmm apparently it was more sony LIES:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/09/oops-sony-declares-sixaxis-emmy-emmys-say-uh-uh/

Or if not sony, then a lie of somebody. so apparently the emmy was actually for the 'DualShock®', and ninty also got one for inventing the control pad!!

apparently!! but it does seem that sony getting an emmy for sexarses = big massive shifty ¬¬ and probably not true ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Anyway.. i actually bought the DualShock® as soon as it came out in 99 i think... just to play gran turismo! so... apparently it's now awesome! ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

EDIT: and the sexarses is less awesome than it

EDIT 2: okay sorry lopcagney already clarified all this.. but we should still LOL anyway

so apparently the emmy was actually for the 'DualShock®'

Which raises the new question: should Sony receive an award for hardware that stole patented technology? Or was that just in the DualShock2?

Which raises the new question: should Sony receive an award for hardware that stole patented technology? Or was that just in the DualShock2?

What pattented technology are you referring to?

That would be the rumble, which is (likely) why the SIXAXIS doesn't have it. I believe the copyright is held by some company by the name of Immersion. MS pays to lisence it, Sony doesn't. Ninty's rumble is different in some way that doesn't piss off the lawyers too much.

I think. Feel free to correct me, this is all off the top of my head.

As for the news, there are very, very few occasions that warrant this emote: Rofl. That is all.

I was under the impression that nintendo was a major stakeholder in Immersion and as such it would be kind of silly to sue themselves...

Once again, Sony are proven to be either liars or idiots, with their rushed and possibly fraudulent press release! Hooray! The world might not be full of idiot award ceremonies yet!

[crosspost]

Hah! Sony didn't win the award for their SIXAXIS, they got the award for their dual shock analog controller: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71647

Sony 'accidently' sent out a wrong press release...

I can't wait for the UK:R update! :yep:

[/crosspost]

Horribly late as usual, but still nice to have more than one source confirming the Sony lies :)

I was under the impression that nintendo was a major stakeholder in Immersion and as such it would be kind of silly to sue themselves...

That is entirely possible, and actually quite likely. Again, all of that was off the top of my head.

Sony, I love that company so much. :fart:

Wy doesn't these kind of news surprise me one bit anymore, this is starting to be so typical of Sony.

That is entirely possible, and actually quite likely. Again, all of that was off the top of my head.

I think it has to do with that Nintendo's products differ in that they only use a single motor for powering the vibrations, while the Immersion patent covers multiple motors for rumble. Maybe they're still shareholders, but this is off the top of my head too.

“Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox pads work in very similar, almost identical ways,” explained Viegas, “so it made sense to pursue both companies that were infringing our patents, using dual motors in unison. It was a total of, I think, 16 claims across two patents.” Yes, it does make sense, but again, why not include Nintendo, especially given the fact that Nintendo claims the feedback technology employed in all modern games controllers is its own?

“We never analysed Nintendo products.” Is the more-than surprising answer offered. “There is, I believe, a difference in the technologies used but we never investigated those of Nintendo.”

Full article

...this is SPOnG we're talking about though. :fart: