nsps

Wii titles?

So the Wii comes out in the US on Sunday and while I hate to rub this in to all the thumb suckers in Europe, I was wondering what advice people have for launch and soon-to-be-released games to grab or to avoid. I welcome as much detail as you feel like offering.

:shifty:

Discuss.

Well, I'm grabbing Monkey Ball, Zelda, and Metal Slug on day 1, with probably a couple of TBD games when my next paycheque comes in. Monkey Ball has yet to let me down, (well, OK. Adventure was shit, but that was a different dev studio, so it doesn't count) I've been wanting to catch up on my Metal Slug play, and you can never really miss with Zelda. Plus there's Wii Sports right in there and apparently my second controller will come bundled with Wii Play, which I would've gotten anyway so it just means I save a few bucks. There's my line up for you. Trauma Center looks great too, but as it's a remake of the DS one, I'm less enthusiastic than I otherwise would have been, and thus will probably wait a while before picking it up.

Well I won't be getting my Wii until dec 7 :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: but I think I'll be getting "Zelda". It's an action/adventure and fishing simulator, I don't know man, it looks pretty cool.

Rayman Raving Rabbids is another strong candidate. Although, for some reason, I have been getting some doubts recently and I'm probably going to wait for a few reviews.

I also want to buy a Wii FPS. The level design and basic FPS mechanics of Red Steel seem really generic, although it does have some potentially amazing controls and some really fun stuff in it (the phone feature just kills me). We'll see what the reviews say. I might get Call of Duty 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent or Far Cry Vengeance instead if they're better. I'm just really curious how FPS controls feel on this system.

Other than that I might pick up Wii Play if I need a second controller. I might actually just impulse buy some Wii games. There's some games I would normally not want that badly but that I might become curious about anyway just for the controls (e.g. ExciteTruck or Blazing Angels)

If I lived in the US I would also pick up Trauma Center: Second Opinion, and I'd be vaguely interested in Metal Slug. Both games won't be released in the EU until later.

Don't we have to wait until the 8th of December, Marek? Wel, it'll be tough times, but it's been far worse. These are only a few weeks. I'll just have to avoid any and all reviews of Zelda (I've heard 1Up posted a moment-by-moment guide for the first ten hours of the game? What the fuck?! Why would anyone be interested in that?!) for the time being. No biggie.

I echo your thoughts on Raving Rabbids: I oscillate between liking it and not being sure. After all, it IS a bunch of minigames and these have been known to not keep me occupied for very long. I can't really see myself returning to it, but who knows. With prices of 60 Euros (?) however, impulse buying might be out of the question. Just because a new console is launching doens't mean I'll have a lot of money to spare suddenly. My budget is tight as ever. Zelda is the big motivation to buy it in the first place however. Well, you know, as far as game-games go.

Looking forward to Wii Sports, actually. Boxing is such fun. Wouldn't mind doing that with people more often. Great workout, great fun.

The shop where I (and marek incidently) pre-ordered my wii will open at 00:00 especially for the wii launch :)

I only pre-ordered the wii itself, Might add a 2nd wiimote, zelda and downhill jam to the mix when I pick it up, who knows...

That's probably in Amsterdam. I doubt they'll open up a store in Tiel. I'd like to be at one of those midnight openings once. Not for the products but for the experience and atmosphere.

The closest thing was when I was at a Mediamarket at opening in the morning to get World of Warcraft.

No release is set for Wii Play in the US yet for some reason, but I'll most likely have four controllers because I'm a big believer that multi-player games are where it's at (even though my favorite genre is the decidedly single-player adventure genre). I'm particularly looking forward to the minigames they come up with for Mario Party 8.

Right now, I'm guessing that I'll be happy with Wii Sports and Zelda until I hear which games are actually worth getting.

I've never played the Monkey Ball games—which one is the best?

Monkey Ball 2 kicks all kinds of ass. MB1 was great for it's time, but MB2 took pretty much everything that was in MB1 and then added a bunch more awesome to it. If you have an Xbox or PS2 though, you can get some special Monkey Ball Deluxe pack that has both games on one disk. Haven't tried that one, so I'm not sure of the quality. My assumption would be that the Xbox is quality whereas the PS2 is also quality but has a lot of distracting jaggies. In a game so focused on platforms, a lot of jaggies would really suck. Actually, I think there's a Monkey Ball double pack for 'cube as well at this point which retails for the same (or less) than most stand alone games, so that may be the way to go.

*ahem* I love Monkey Ball, so I've said way too much now, but there you have it. If you're just getting one game, get MB2. If you were just curious and not interested in trying the games, sorry for the rambling. Although from Gamespot's videos and IGN's review, Banana Blitz is the shit. (50 Minigames! Ultimate party time! :woohoo:) So if you're getting a Wii, maybe go with that. From your post, I'm assuming you're a fan of party games, and Monkey Ball has never dissappointed in being one of the best party games available. I'll be buying it immediately anyway. My GCN came home with MB1, and my Wii will come home with MB3.

If I were a rich man, I'd be getting Zelda, Rayman, Monkey Ball, Trauma Center, and possibly Red Steel. However, I am a poor man, so I'll be getting nothing.

Yes, I am a fan of party games, so I'll probably get that, and send you a bill if it turns out to suck.

I reckon that game and Wii Sports should be enough to keep the parties going for a while.

I'm getting Excite Truck and Zelda.

I've disliked every Zelda game I've ever played (yes, yes, I'm an inhuman monster...get over it), but that seems to be the game to get at launch, so I'm giving it a shot.

Yes, I am a fan of party games, so I'll probably get that, and send you a bill if it turns out to suck.

In an effort to cover my ass, I will now direct you to Gamespot's "We've got a Wii!" video. Skip to about the 1 hour mark in the vid. At that point, they play about 45 minutes of Monkey Ball party games, of which there are 50. (Monkey Ball 2 had 12, so this is a pretty big step up) Should give you a decent taste.

Here it is: the vid. It's the 11/10/06 video. I watched the not-boring bits last night. This meant Monkey Ball and Zelda. There's also some Excite Truck, Madden, and a bunch of set up stuff in there.

I'd like to say don't get excite truck. It got terrible reviews, much to my dissappointment.

It got a 6.8 and a 3/5.

My advice is, get Zelda and Red Steel. Monkey Ball of course is always fun, and with the new controls it'll be a blast. But Excite Truck looks alot like Blood Wake to me, a lower-quality launch title that will be fun for a few days and then get completely forgotten.

Dunno. If you're hard up for an arcade racer, Excite Truck could be cool. The vids I've seen make it look like some good fun, particularly with another player. Nothing deep or engrosing, but for the launch window you could do worse.

I'm less sure about Rayman after watching Gamespot's weekly thing earlier today. They played Rayman during the show and the minigames shown were all identical to things that were in Monkey Ball's party games section when they showed it last week. Only for 1 player. :shifty: I'll need to see some reviews on this one...

Tiger-print stiletto's? What the fuck?

Yeah, tiger-print is becoming fashionable again. Good lord, save us all.

New review for monkey ball said that it was basically the same thing over and over again, but it was so damn fun you could play it forever.