ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I loved every minute of the first episode of newsroom. It reminded me so very much of West wing (Which I'm currently rewatching. I'm at season 2 episode 17, The stackhouse filibuster). Has Aaron Sorkin ever been a speech writer?

West wing (Which I'm currently rewatching. I'm at season 2 episode 17, The stackhouse filibuster).

Brilliant episode. I watched the entirety of the West Wing a couple years back, after having seen it in bits and pieces. Still remains one of my favourite TV shows of all time, despite the lull in the middle seasons.

Brilliant episode. I watched the entirety of the West Wing a couple years back, after having seen it in bits and pieces. Still remains one of my favourite TV shows of all time, despite the lull in the middle seasons.

Sorkin left the show after season 4, which I think explains some of that lull.

I gave in and started watching Community and oh man this is great.

The first episode of Newsroom was very interesting to me because it seemed like Sorkin's 1st attempt at a cast of not-so-competent characters: in West Wing, Sports Night and Studio 60, everybody was VERY good at their job and took pride in getting better at it. The struggles came from the conflict between the different ideologies served by those skills.

On this one, 4 of the main characters are not very good at their craft, and didn't look to me like they strive to get better. Of course, most of them get to overcome some of these limitations during the first episode, but the writing is significantly impacted by that change. Since the characters do not have the arsenal to extensively prove or counterpoints opinions, the debates are less acute than on WW and the gap is filled by emotional decision/arguments that, too often for my taste, are dialed all the way to 11.

Still, I'm more intrigued than disappointed since it's not same old Sorkin; I just wonder how long he plans to maintain the characters in their 'broad stroke' depiction (Daniel's obnoxious savant, McCarthy's nervous but caring wreck, Maggie's clumsiness and lack of awareness) ... before they are cemented as clichés..

The only thing I clearly didn't like is the super pompous soundtrack that overkills some for the moments; but other than that :tmeh::tup:

Anyone catch Cosmopolis, and if so... thoughts?

I saw it today, and thought it was fucking fantastic.

A great exploration of using abstract thought, or trying to use it, how people talk to each other, this sense of tension being built through out the film - without ever worrying about any of the characters, creating a mood and tone with such a limited tight focused camera.

Cronenberg has an unbelievable understanding of the human body, and how to show it on film, a super obvious thing to say I know, but I was so, so impressed with it. In terms of what we actually see, its a technically restrained area, nothing as overt as his older stuff, but it never feels held back. I got the exact same notions of people as these sweaty stinking meaty things, Juliette Binoche writhing about in the limo felt real, along with people eating, or fucking, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that there aren't many other directors that could have created the idea of that big old phallic limo being such a human part of Eric Packer.

Two very specific instances that I loved, one, when Pattinson's wife told him he stunk of sex, he does some great little facial twiches, and somehow the image on screen so obviously conveys a smell that I'm sure you could take that clip out of context and people could still tell he was lying.

Two, there's a shot after Pattinson gets pied when he approaches the basket ball court, and he's lit so perfectly that the lemony whip on the side of his face is just enough in shadow that his head gets turned into this two-face style mushy-body-horror mess, like a burn victim or something and it's fucking great.

I walked out the cinema wanting to re-watch The Fly, or Videodrome, or something, it was such a good reminder of what a director Cronenberg is.

Started watching Community some weeks ago and

I gave in and started watching Community and oh man this is great.

Yup, started watching Community some weeks ago and it is amazing! I chose it over A Game of Thrones, having watched a couple of episodes each, just because it was so refreshingly positive and heartwarming.

I love the lack of total assholes and excruciating season-long tension between any two characters. Even the guy who is constantly called out for his racism and sexism is less racist and sexist than many characters in other shows who are almost never given a hard time for that sort of things. It's also refreshing that Jeff is treated as a sex object more than the leading women (and not just by gays).

This (too) is a silly thing to point out but the theme that plays when everybody is acting sensible and treating others like they should be treated is the best.

And the video game episode: Holy shit!

Yeah, it's nice that they're all ridiculously flawed, but unlike for example It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, they're not complete and total shits. I like It's Always Sunny, but it can get to be Too Much, sometimes.

I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. Probably because a lot of my friends and acquaintances whose tastes are generally suspect also love it.

Also, I discovered Donald Glover through his hip-hop persona, Childish Gambino, but man he's a great actor, too. Love it.

It's Springtime, for Hitler, and Germany!

Never get tired of that movie.

Somebody else's life is flashing before my eyes!

Also, I discovered Donald Glover through his hip-hop persona, Childish Gambino, but man he's a great actor, too. Love it.

I still only think of him as the black guy from Derrick Comedy. But then, I don't like Community and I don't listen to hip-hop.

Catching up on My Best Friend Is An Enormously Self-Centered Asshole And I Save His Life On A Regular Basis But He Can Never Know Or I'll Be Strung Up By My Face.

I really like this show.

Merlin

Haha it's true. Also, I, too, really like that show. It reminds me a lot of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules. I like them both for very similar reasons. U:

Haha it's true. Also, I, too, really like that show. It reminds me a lot of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules. I like them both for very similar reasons. U:

But it doesn't have Kevin "Oh Lord I Love This Man" Sorbo!

So was movies made with dogs in costume with dubbed human voices a big thing for a while? Because I know of at least two such movies and more than one has to be by design. Though I wouldn't call it intelligent...

Yes! Another person that loves Mind Game!

Please watch, all, you will not be disappointed. There's a neato Australian Region 4 DVD release with English subs and features if you don't want to steal.

I've recently seen a string of (few years-old) movies I really liked.

Kingdom of Heaven: After the disastrous experience that was Robin Hood, this restored my faith in Ridley Scott. What a great film, epic in scope yet focused in theme and with a nuanced view on the whole affair. I should watch the director's cut as it supposedly is much better (if also much longer).

Mission: Impossible 3: After the mildly entertaining but dumb experience that was Ghost Protocol, this was like a cool shower of awesome. Such a tight, personal and heartfelt action film. Really, how could anyone not have been disappointed in part 4 after this one? Phillip Seymour Hoffman is so effective and scary as a villain.

The Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans: This movie had no right to be that entertaining. I was expecting an interesting but also heavy viewing, one that would test my patience. Instead, it was pure entertainment all the way through, without sacrificing any story difficulty. I shouldn't have doubted Nicolas Cage to make anything fun to watch, and this was the first time I saw a Werner Herzog film, so I couldn't have known how good he was.

I've recently seen a string of (few years-old) movies I really liked.

Kingdom of Heaven: After the disastrous experience that was Robin Hood, this restored my faith in Ridley Scott. What a great film, epic in scope yet focused in theme and with a nuanced view on the whole affair. I should watch the director's cut as it supposedly is much better (if also much longer).

And well it should, what an absolutely great movie. Do watch the Director's Cut, I beg of you.

Like Orvidos says, if you dig this you'll REALLY dig the Director's Cut. To give you an idea how drastically the theatrical edition was cut down and impoverished, in the full cut Eva Green's character has a son that's in the line of succession behind Edward Norton. And that drama is the driving force of the middle-third.

The director's cut is like they put all the story bits back into the movie. The theatrical release is more like an action film if anything else.

photo-8557.gif?_r=0

I stumbled upon Adventure Time a couple of days ago and thought "What the fuck is this? :)". After about a dozen episodes I still don't know the answer and I don't care.