Moosferatu

Dreamfall gone gold

I can't wait to play it. Have I just missed it or has it had next to no press coverage or marketing hype? I can't help but feel that it's not going to sell very well. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I have only seen about 2-3 sites even saying that it has gone gold.

I really hope that it will sell well even though I do have a feeling that it might not.

I've been looking at this site for a while and still haven't found a basic concept. I've found stuff about the possibility of Mac ports. Oh! I just found a link to the TLJwiki, which informs me that this is the second installment of "The Longest Journey," so I guess I need to play that first.

We're extremely happy to announce that hell has indeed frozen over, and that preproduction has finally begun on the second chapter in The Longest Journey saga!

With this news, Funcom put joy into many a gamer's heart as they finally announced the follow-up to 1999's adventure hit The Longest Journey.

Dreamfall departs from the point-and-click interface of traditional adventure games, and is termed a 3D action adventure by the company. The Shark3D engine by German developer Spinor is the graphics engine used.

Originally slated for release in mid 2005, the release date for Dreamfall slipped, and the game is now due out 17th April 2006 in North America, distributed by Aspyr Media for PC and XBox.

http://tljwiki.sphid.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

EDIT: I just ordered The Longest Journey, so it better be good.

http://www.dreamfall.com/

Sorry, Moos. In the future, I'll try not to prove your points in such a heartbreaking manner.

Also, I just added a link to the official site on my post just above this one. That should give people a better idea for the game.

I take it that the first game is awesome?

I don't know, but I wouldn't really go by Amazon seeing as they have it listed as Mature when Ragnar specifically said that it's going to be Teen.

Is the North American version of Dreamfall going to be censored?

And nsps, you should probably like The Longest Journey, it's known as being the last adventure game to not suck complete ass.

Seriously, I haven't heard anything about this game other that I found it was going to be out in two weeks because of random amazon browsing (and not because I was informed by anyone until moose posted this thread and ragnar posted on his blog).

It's obvious they can't sell this game to most "gamers" because they wouldn't be interested even if it had a chick in the cover (which it does), and they're the ones who dig for games. Just imagine that people who'd be interested in playing it... how the hell are they going to know this game exists? good luck to them.

Is the North American version of Dreamfall going to be censored?

I don't believe so. Actually, I could be wrong about the rating of it too. I could have sworn that Ragnar said sometime recently that it's going to be Teen, but then there's this post. Though, it's possible that they changed it since he said that last year because more recently he said, "(As for the intended (male and female) nudity in Dreamfall, I’ll write a post one of these days about that whole mess. Suffice it to say, there won’t be any.)"

I'm thinking the game will sell just fine. It's one of the few adventure games I have a lot of confidence in sales-wise (at least in EU).

The Longest Journey was kind of completely destroyed for me because of the horrible and ill-conceived localisation it had here in the Netherlands. My god how can they DO that to any mature game? The first time there was even a hint of being stuck I shut it off and deleted the game from my hard drive. It was just too gruesome. That pains me because if I had had a good English dub (or whatever language for that matter, as long as it's outlandish! Just don't give me our horribly stunted language!*), I would have played it further.

Of course I was also slightly put off by the prerendered 3D (same story as the language -unless it's done exceptionally well it's easily uninteresting and plastic to me, but time has made me forget what TLJ exactly looks like) and the enormous and random dialogue. I always like some direction, not eons worth of not-much-saying texts.

* The Dutch language CAN be poetic and beautiful, trust me, but its nature is such that you need above average craftsmanship to make that happen. Anything less than that is immediately artificial and spine-tinglingly awful. As is the case in almost the entire game. Plus of course mediocre voice acting.

I think The Longest Journey is the only adventure game made by non-English-speaking-developers that has a good English translation... because it was written in English ¬

On the subject, I recently went back and tried to replay TLJ, but unfortunately encountered a bug that crashes the game straight back to desktop as soon as the first cutscene starts up. I played it originally on XP, so I know it isn't that. Anyone have some tips for getting it running? If I skip the opening cutscene, the game plays just fine right up until I trigger the next cutscene, where it will promptly crash to desktop again. Whee!

@miffy...maybe the compatibility mode will help...might be useless and/or already tried but it just came to mind

Bought the English version years ago (I feared the German synchronization) but had some problems with one of the CDs (one has a scratch on it). Got it installed and running until it started stuttering in some early location. Should have send it back, but it was a bargain and the internet-shop I bought it from was far away and I wasn’t that enthusiastic about the game, so I felt that it wasn’t worth the effort. With the upcoming sequel and all the talk about how good the first one is I feel the strong urge to finally play it.

I figured that two files together worth 25MB from CD 1 are unreadable. If it isn’t too illegal, could someone help me out with those files? I already tried some CD-recovery stuff from the Internet but the program just said it’s unreadable in a more polite manner than windows.

Yeah, it looks like it is going to be on dvd. Check out the system requirements at the bottom of this page.

I was going to pre-order it from my local ebgames. I figured it might help it get into stores, but now that Funcom is giving away three prints I'm torn. argh! I think I'm probably going to end up going with the prints.

-hey the forums are up again:pan: -

Anyway, I preordered the game. I'm curious when i'll actually receive it.

As for the censor issue: On his blog Ragnar pointed out that there will only be 1 version of the game, suitable for both US and non-US market.

Jaap

Wonderful screenshot! Finally they got a new site up and running except for us who are in the bare minimum known as 1024x768 it seems that the site is way too big and it looks hideous.

I have one important question that I must decide: XBOX or PC?

I'm leaning towards PC, but I'm thinking about the controls...