Marek

Double Fine got two awards

gdc%20awards.jpg

Double Fine were awarded for Best New Studio and Best Writing by their peers at the Game Developers Choice Awards last week. You probably knew this already, but I wanted to make a thread for it anyway.

They got a roaring applause. I think apart from Chris Hecker's ode to video games, or Darwinia's team dropping the f-bomb on publishers, Double Fine got the biggest applause of the whole awards ceremony.

Double Fine are clearly loved by many people in the industry. It was awesome. Congrats to Tim Schafer and his team. They totally deserve it.

Oh, and there were also other winners.

As far as I'm concerned, the GDC awards are the only meaningful awards for games so far. Way to rock, Doublefine.

I'm very glad to see the overhyped nonsense that is God of War fail to win any awards.

How dare you sir

I think it's funny how Shadow of the Colossus won more awards yet places like Gamespot still displayed Psychonauts screenshots for the stories.

I'm very glad to see the overhyped nonsense that is God of War fail to win any awards.
God of War is awesome. You seem to have lost your very head!

:colbert:

Although I'm surprised they rock as much as they do, if the drivel produced by most game developers is any indication of their tastes.

I think the drivel produced is more indicative of publisher tastes than developer tastes, the developer oftentimes doesn't have much choice...

Meh, another award... doesn't everybody already know that this game is great?

Now, if someone had announced that they had sold two more copies of Psychonauts, THAT would have made me happy.

God of War was both awesome, AND overhyped. If played in a vaccum, away from all marketing or raving fans, it is enjoyed immensely. If reccommended to you by a friend in a calm manner ("dude, this game rocks. Try it out.") it is very enjoyable. If you took seriously half the crap that was being said about it, you WILL be disappointed.

That's why I've taken it upon myself some time ago to always explain my enthusiasm for games to someone in a calm manner, so as not to hype it. And poo openly on people who go overtly apeshit on a game. Poo.

More pictures of Tim please, so I can add them to my pervy little collection.

Hey got the one with the coffee machine? I lost it. Maybe we should trade!

For the record, I'm JOKING. ¬¬

God of War was both awesome, AND overhyped. If played in a vaccum, away from all marketing or raving fans, it is enjoyed immensely. If reccommended to you by a friend in a calm manner ("dude, this game rocks. Try it out.") it is very enjoyable. If you took seriously half the crap that was being said about it, you WILL be disappointed.

Funny, I had the same problem with Psychonauts. It's a good game. But it was WAY, WAY, WAY overhyped.

Then again, maybe I'm just not a T.S. fan. I always preferred Monkey Island to Full Throttle.

Then again, maybe I'm just not a T.S. fan. I always preferred Monkey Island to Full Throttle.

Good point, because Tim Schafer had nothing at all to do with Monkey Island...

:shifty:

I thought Tim Schafer helped write the jokes in Monkey Island and did work on the game (and helped pack the Monkey Island boxes)?

I'm pretty sure that Moos was being sarcastic, since Tim was a writer on the game. Just my guess...

I'm pretty sure that Moos was being sarcastic, since Tim was a writer on the game. Just my guess...

Ah, okay. Didn't know that.

Guess my sarcasm detector is on the fritz.

Comicbookguy.jpg

"Oh, a sarcasm detector, that's a real useful invention."

('sploads)

PS ryam you're on the Double Fine action news ;)

well, yeah. tell nobody. hot sex orgies with psychonauts sponsored by majesco, psychonauts sponsored by myself and grim fandango sponsored by my parents may not have the influence on the sexual reputation i deserve. :blink: