Tanukitsune

Any decent space shooters out there recently?

Lately I've been in the mood for space shooters, I've been playing lots of Parodius, a one called Astro Avenger which, although monotonous was quite fun...

So, any semi-recent shooters out there that I may have missed? I've gotten Gunbird Collection for PS2, but there has to be more... :erm:

I'm really hyped up about Nanostray too...

R-Type Final is the best I have played in years and it always makes you come back for another shot. Great ship customisation too. It goes from good challenge to just complete eyes bleeding impossible -but you always think you know how to do it.

I got Tyrian when ordering from Epic Classics, but I never knew it had a sequel...

It looks more like an expansion to me...

:eek:

Whoa! I didn't know that there where so many fan-made and freeware space shooters!

Yeah. Edge did an entire article about it once. There's some creativity going on in that scene.

I really enjoyed space tripper. You can get it here. And probably for free elsewhere.

Space Tripper is great! Used to play it so much that my friends got worried. They thought I might be :nuts: .

Lately I have been playing this shooter called Noiz2sa. Crappy name, great game...hell, it's orgastic. Not sure if you can call a game where the target is to kill squares of different colours a space shooter though.

If you have a gamecube, you should get Ikaruga. That's a pretty awesome (but insanely hard) game.

Yeah. Edge did an entire article about it once. There's some creativity going on in that scene.

Probably because the space sim genre has had its best time. Like another genre that knows a lot of creative amateur developers: adventures. :)

--Erwin

Noiz2sa is freaky, but cool!

I'm having troulbe running Tyrian, it won't go with VDMSound and it's very slow with DOSBox...

Ikaruga is damn impossible! :eek:

I wonder if they are any other funny space shooters apart from the Parodius saga? :erm:

Did you ever try rRootage?

It's a freeware game where you only have to fight the endbosses. you should try it once :)

Space Tripper is great! Used to play it so much that my friends got worried. They thought I might be :nuts: .

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I got this game free with a magazine subscription. It is the most relentlessly hard, unfair, unfun space shooter I have EVER played. I've never made it beyond the second level, and it has pissed me off so much.

Unless you have the patience of a saint, never EVER play this game. Get Tyrian instead.

Tyrian 2000 was a Windows-compatible rerelease made way after. I'm not sure how much new content there is, but not much.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I got this game free with a magazine subscription. It is the most relentlessly hard, unfair, unfun space shooter I have EVER played. I've never made it beyond the second level, and it has pissed me off so much.

At least in the updated version you can choose the easier mode where you don't die completely when all your ships are lost (the magical continue screen), and it gets a lot easier when you practice a little.

I loved the game but I can understand why some people don't.

Guest James

There's a wealth of indie and underground shooters, but there's been nothing on the scale of conflict: freespace etc (i know its a slightly different genre, but I did love that game) - X3 looks interesting, but could still go awry, wasn't a fan of the original X: Beyond the Frontier.

I was once hooked on Apogee's Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Anyone remember that game? A true classic.

raptor.jpg

--Erwin

I was once hooked on Apogee's Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Anyone remember that game? A true classic.

Oh man yeah. I remember being really bad at it.

Well since there's a Battlestar Galactica thread elsewhere, I thought I'd mention the game, which is more a prequal to the current series than a game of the old one. It's nothing amazing, very arcady, linear, dogfighting and a bit of bombing. But it looks nice and does what it does well, and is pretty challenging. If you have a strong desire to fly a raptor and destroy cylon raiders then you may as well pick it up.

Also I'm in the credits.

Ahh, Torus Trooper and ABA Games. If you haven't done so, then I suggest playing ALL of his (free) games.

Speaking of shooters, Nanostray should be out on the DS as of today. I'm going to try to find it after work today, but I'm not sure how well that will turn out.

I picked it up yesterday, in some small part out of sympathy for Majesco. Anyway, it's pretty fun so far. The graphics are definitely the cleanest use of 3d I've seen on a DS yet, which I guess is worth mentioning. I feel like I'm blazing through the game quite fast, so we'll see how the replay value holds up.