SoccerDude28

The XBOX 360 revelation thingy

Yeah that one. Yeah that one. It's on MTV tonight at 9:30 PM EST so don't miss it. I hope they show some footage of the console rather than some more obscure commercials.

Okay finally we got the details here

Bottom line:

Looks same as the photos floating around: The round bulky white console, with the white controller.

Wireless controller

Great graphics and processing power

20 GB detachable external harddrive

Memory stick on console rather than controller

XBOX live silver gives access to gamer card for free. Also micro transactions and playing MMO's for a monthly fee.

XBOX live gold gives access to all other multi-play games.

Nothing revealed about backward compatibility or price.

What do you guys think?

I'm sure millions of twelve year olds are holding their mouths agape this instant, waiting for Microsoft to mince up to them and shit in their mouths with derivative sequels until their tiny food bags can hold no more.

But the rest of us are waiting to see good games, not shiny plastic.

I'm sure millions of twelve year olds are holding their mouths agape this instant, waiting for Microsoft to mince up to them and shit in their mouths with derivative sequels until their tiny food bags can hold no more.

You're too fucking counterculture for me to handle.

I think Microsoft is setting themselves up for some serious hurt.

The nice thing about the Xbox is it is, undebatably, the most powerful console available. It came late in the game, and was therefore equipped with the newest stuff. This time around, the XBOX 360 is the first one out of the gate, so it misses certain opportunities, such as the inclusion of a PPU or HD DVD drive. The PS3 or Revolution will most likely include both of these.

Still, it has some fairly impressive specs, and some of the features sound pretty cool. It will be interesting to see who wins the so-called "console war" this time around.

As for me, I'll probably buy all three of them. I'm a sucker like that.

I'm getting it for perfect dark zero. I've been waiting six bloody years for it, and even if there's no other good games coming out for it (but I know that Kameo will be good also), I want that freaking game.

Meh. I think they're setting themselves up to market themselves into a very nicely selling console. Everyone shat on the Xbox 1, but everyone also shat in Windows, and on Internet Explorer, when they first came out. People continue to shit on them, but it sort of bounces off due to the whole "they both contrpl 90+% of the market share" thing. Microsoft wasn't the first company to make OS's, nor were they the first company to make web browsers. I don't think the fact that they came in late to the game console market has any bearing on anything.

Aside from your I'm-older-thus-I-am-better-than-them dismissiveness, that's rather true.

I will start putting money aside for this baby right away. :buyme:

How dare you guys insult my bounty of street cred. :hmph: I am a card carrying member of the Morphine Generation.

In more civilized terms: I think we should hold off on our system slathering, chums, regardless of our ages, and perhaps wait until we've got the bo-jangly in our hands with some games. :benstein:

The nice thing about the Xbox is it is, undebatably, the most powerful console available. It came late in the game, and was therefore equipped with the newest stuff. This time around, the XBOX 360 is the first one out of the gate, so it misses certain opportunities, such as the inclusion of a PPU or HD DVD drive. The PS3 or Revolution will most likely include both of these.

Still, it has some fairly impressive specs, and some of the features sound pretty cool. It will be interesting to see who wins the so-called "console war" this time around.

As for me, I'll probably buy all three of them. I'm a sucker like that.

I really doubt that hardware makes a difference. It all boils to the software they provide. Yes XBOX was a better console than all the others, but PS2 won in the sales. So if MS can make tons of games for their console, which they seem to be doing based on all the publishers commitments and the Japanese developers working on the platform, they should be in good shape. Plus never discard Microsoft's amazing marketting power and their $$$$$$.

Also, remember that Microsoft is going out of their way to make it as easy as possible for game developers to code their games for Xbox 360, they are offering devs as many incentives as possible, including extensive consultation and technical backup. I bet this also includes top quality marketing and advertising for games. From what I've read they're being extremely generous, apparently a plan to snag as many developers as possible. If they truly follow up on this, the Japanese would really need to re-assess how they deal with developers. (I wonder how that multimillion dollar lawsuit against Sony for its copyright breach of their PS and PS2 controller vibration function is pending)

Combine all that with wealth of customization the 360 promises, such as online purchasing of in-game accessories, an existing strong hardcore online community, and other goodies.

If the rumored backwards compatability option does end up being true, I'll crap my pants and buy an Xbox 360 the moment it shits the shelves.

Will Xbox 360 be backwards compatible?

The problem with backwards compatibility is that the original Xbox ran on an nVIDIA graphics processor. When software makes calls to a chipset to produce visuals it uses code specific to that hardware. Xbox 360 runs on an ATI graphics chip meaning that code from last generation games will need to be recompiled or emulated in order to work on the system. Does this mean that consumers will have to chuck their beloved Xbox libraries? Not necessarily. There is a chance that Xbox 360 will have the ability to emulate the old system, though nothing has been announced as of yet.

IGN.com FAQ

From what I've read you have to spend extra for it. This is because of licensing conflicts involving some hardware parts in the current Xbox, making it problematic to run current games on the 360. I already own an Xbox so it's not an issue for me, except to start saving money for the 360 now.

If the rumored backwards compatability option does end up being true, I'll crap my pants and buy an Xbox 360 the moment it shits the shelves.

Why exactly would that be such a dealbreaker? I mean it would definitely be convenient, but how man games are you going to be so desperate to play all the time that you can't use your old Xbox?

I just watched the fabled MTV show and it was just exactly as I expected with the celebrities and shiznit, yo! I liked how they revealed the xbox.. it's like a big ipod you can carry in your bag!

That TV special was one of the more awkward uninspiring things I've seen in a while. You can tell theres some cleverness going on somewhere, but it clearly wasn't on display in that show. Most awkward guests, and hosts, and geez the games all just looked... clunky. I'm sure the special will still do its job with its intended audience, but I thought it was pretty weakly done.

I didn't watch it... I think I'd pretty much be setting myself up for a big lame fall if I expected anything interesting out of a celebrity-ridden unveiling of a Video Game Console on MTV. Not a winning combination.

I was at least expecting it to be well managed and slick. It was a very good attempt at slick -- lots of blaring lights and hip clubbers and also lots of well dressed black people -- except the celebrities all sounded like they were lying, and the games looked like they forgot to include textures, and were running at 10fps.

I'm getting it for perfect dark zero. I've been waiting six bloody years for it, and even if there's no other good games coming out for it (but I know that Kameo will be good also), I want that freaking game.

Have you seen the PD0 screens? Looks like eight pounds of solid ass. Maybe PS2 quality.