Marek

POP3 still generic, still raging

Some depressing quotes:

Depressing is right. I like how they said "When want to continue to innovate the brand." :shifty: Hmmmmm...

And to answer everyone's questions, I honestly haven't played Splinter Cell outside the first game. My basis for calling it a good and strong series is merely that it gets reviewed pretty well and when I see it in action, it looks pretty damn cool. I haven't really heard anyone come out and denounce it like they do Warrior Within.

Sucks that they screwed it up. The first one was so full of potential. ;(

:finger: Screw you, Ubishaft.

Doesn't Jordan Mechner own the rights to Prince of Persia? It's too bad he keeps allowing them to make the generic rage PoP games.

I think the kids call it gangbang these days.

There will always be the purist who wants compelling gameplay wrapped inside well formed characters, visuals, and storytelling - it's not going to happen. We want to continue to dillute what made the first game good by upping the amount of black (and tribal tattoos!) on the screen at any given moment, upping the gritty forced trash talk, and definitely up the amount of characters in metal thongs - and we will.

hahahahhahahahahahaha :yep:

Because there can never be enough Prince of Persia news for me!!!

From Gamespot:

"The Prince of Persia, a seasoned warrior, returns from the Island of Time to Babylon with his love, Kaileena. Instead of the peace that he longs for, he finds his homeland ravaged by war and the kingdom turned against him. The Prince is rapidly captured and Kaileena has no choice but to sacrifice herself and unleash the Sands of Time in order to save him. Now cast out on the streets and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him."

Ubisoft also revealed plenty of information on the sequel's gameplay. Players will be able to "Wield the powers and weapons of two master warriors with different combat styles, attitudes, and histories." Presumably this means the regular Prince and the Dark Prince. Players will be able to take advantage of "an expanded freeform fighting system to destroy enemies in [their] own style." Besides a revamped repertoire of Sands of Time powers, it will also feature a "brand new stealth art" that will allow for "one-shot kills" much like those of another popular Ubisoft series, Splinter Cell.

Don't even get me started on this 'his love, Kaileena' bullshit. Also, 'stealth art'? Fuck you.

"Now cast out on the streets and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him."

:( :( :( :( :( :( FUCK OFF

ShadowLink.png

or, the equally uninspiring

st2-7.jpg

also reminds me a bit of Timmy, but I don't think this is a well-remembered a reference...

timmy.jpg

That's from when Mystery Science Theater tried to be edgier and relate to todays youth - they had an evil dark Crow show up and be totally badass until he was thrown through an airlock. I got it tattooed on my left shoulderblade and bought more dark colored belts after that episode aired.

Okay for those who didn't play Warrior Within (and I find that hard to believe) here is the deal on this Kaileena nonsense. This spoils the entire game, but really, do you care?

When the Prince gets to the Island of Time, ostensibly to get the Empress of Time to stop the creation of the Sands of Time, he has all these random run-ins with this woman Kaileena. And you all probably know what Kaileena looks like. The Prince somehow divines that Kaileena works for the Empress. So the Prince says stuff like "Hey can I see that empress now!" And Kaileena says stuff like "The Empress cannot meet with you!" and "The Empress regrets that is not the case." Can you see where this is going?

Okay, so halfway through the game the Prince arrives at the sands of time creation point or whatever and Kaileena is there. The Prince, who, up to this point had been TOTALLY UNINTERESTED in Kaileena, basically says "Hey I'm going to blow up this island, you want to come with me on this boat?" And Kaileena says "The Empress regrets that this will never be." And then... WHOA SHE'S THE EMPRESS!!! So you have this fight for some reason, and it's really hard, and you kill her. Dead. But then it turns out you screwed up in some way so you have to go back in time AGAIN and stop her from being killed because when she dies she releases the sands of time. OR SOMETHING. So you shove her into the present. And then you kill her AGAIN. Except... not really. Because that's the normal ending, and why have a normal ending when you can have a SUPER SECRET RACY EXTRA ENDING? The extra ending is you kill the Dahaka (remember him?) then sail away with Kaileena. Then they fuck on a boat. And that's about as romantic as it sounds.

There is also some random shit in there with a Dark Prince who broods and dies and kills things, but again, do you care?

Okay for those who didn't play Warrior Within (and I find that hard to believe) here is the deal on this Kaileena nonsense. This spoils the entire game, but really, do you care?

There is also some random shit in there with a Dark Prince who broods and dies and kills things, but again, do you care?

Hold on let me get this straight... The prince in warrior within is not dark enough, so now you have an even darker prince to play??????? :nuts:

In part four, the Prince will travel to some other place that will give him reason to brood, bitch, and whine. While in Place X, the past that the Prince still continues to be angry over will come back to haunt him yet again, in the form of the Sands of Time, which will cause some crazy time travel shennanigans that don't really make sense and no one gives two flying fucks about. In the end, the Prince will kill about four hundred people, then stand on a rooftop and look forlorn. :frusty:

Hold on let me get this straight... The prince in warrior within is not dark enough, so now you have an even darker prince to play??????? :nuts:

Yeah, there's not going to be much of a contrast there if that's what they're going for.

While in Place X, the past that the Prince still continues to be angry over will come back to haunt him yet again, in the form of the Sands of Time, which will cause some crazy time travel shennanigans that don't really make sense and no one gives two flying fucks about.

You left out the part where the Prince has Angry Sex.

Yeah, there's not going to be much of a contrast there if that's what they're going for.

You left out the part where the Prince has Angry Sex.

...of Time. Angry Sex of Time.

You know, I'm actually really looking forward to this game. I can't wait to read Duncan's review! :clap:

That would imply that Duncan would actually have to obtain a copy. Would you go out and get a copy of PoP 3, Duncan?

That would imply that Duncan would actually have to obtain a copy. Would you go out and get a copy of PoP 3, Duncan?

I don't think I would ever willingly purchase a copy of this game with cash money. However since I am now an Xbox owner it is possible I could rent a copy. Although I think rental places here only rent new games overnight and if this is as long and difficult as Warrior Within I doubt I could play the entire game in one sitting. Unless I hype it up and play it in a twenty-four hour real-time event. Which now I think I will do.

I saw POP2 for 30 Silverlings here, and I didn't buy it. I've got the first and haven't played it yet because I've got tonnes of other games. Besides, I'd like to make a stand against Generic Goth Style. With Angry Sex of Time.

holy shit, i just read duncans explaination of the story, and it sounds like the most RETARDED plot for a game i have EVER seen ... doom & serious sam included.

as some may recall, i had made a post in this board which was a mini-preview of WW when ubisoft had come to my university ... i was definitly excited about it, but when i finally got around to playing the full game, i really, Really, REALLY hated it! i mean, i honestly wanted to like it despite its new goth look, but the fact is that the gameplay was just as shitty as the actual look of the game. it wasnt anywhere close to as good as SoT.

fuck, i cant believe ubisoft went from publishing SoT and BG&E to shit like WW, POP3.

SiN

They pushed the graphics way too far as everything looks like it's moving at 12 FPS, B) they still have no motion caputure so the prince...errr...Sam Fisher looks very robotic (or maybe it's the 12 FPS).
Motion capture is so overrated it's not even funny.

Compare The Incredibles to The Polar Express.

Almost invariably motion capture creates boring lifeless mechanical action, with no emotion or character whatsoever. One of the few good examples of motion capture I have ever seen is Gollum, and that was only because they used it sparingly, mixed in with lots of handcrafted keyframe animation.

So yeah, it's probably the 12 FPS.

THE POLAR EXPRESS WAS A LANDMARK IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY. ROBERT ZEMECKIS REALLY HIT LEVEL 17 WITH THAT ONE

THE POLAR EXPRESS WAS A LANDMARK IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY. ROBERT ZEMECKIS REALLY HIT LEVEL 17 WITH THAT ONE
Every time you say something like this, I imagine you taking your shoe off and slamming the desk with it for emphasis.