Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Tim on Gamespot TV Thing

"Also Consider" thing on the right of that preview features Spongebob Squarepants the movie.

:sartre:

"Also Consider" thing on the right of that preview features Spongebob Squarepants the movie.

:sartre:

I noticed that too, with a grimace.

I don't understand why anything with personality is labeled "bizarre", and then they go on to say that the graphics aren't as good as Riddick or Halo 2 but still passable. I wonder, is aspiring to plasticy B-Movie realism a prerequisite for good graphics? Comparing Psychonauts with Halo 2 is like comparing Impressionistic with Medievil Symbolistic art. The first being completely content with its place, while the other struggles to achieve a renaissance.

I hope they don't assign this game review to some boob...

P.S. I thought you got stuck in the Ninth level, in Grim Fandango?

IIRC, you don't get to the ninth level until the end... assuming you're referring to "the Ninth Underworld, the Land of Eternal Rest".

P.S. I thought you got stuck in the Ninth level, in Grim Fandango?
Rightyouare.
Wrong. False. Blasphemy?

:deadman:

I thought that Tim's sweater was great, but I was mostly interested on how he actually eats! It's not like a bad thing, but I was kind of suprised that he is a bigger guy than I thought he was. I wasn't suprised by his voice since I've heard it before and I can now accept it, but I must admit that the first time I heard it I was indeed suprised.

Whenever you go on a live tv show for the first time you feel kind of anxious (from my own exprerience on local access tv) but then you get used to it. I'm sure this is one of the few times Tim was ever on TV, live...

Psychonauts looked great, I hope it lives out to not only casual gamer's standards, but specially to core gamer standard's towards platform games.... :sartre:

It's late, I should sleep. :)

We're really being bombarded with psychonauts stuff lately, I love it! :) Great job Majesco

There now is a new intro movie available which will introduce some of the characters in the game

There's also a slightly fixed-up version of the above movie on razputin.net, which is of a smaller file size (no quality/dimensions loss though) and has the contrast/brightness brought back, since the original distribution kind of lost it for some reason.

It really is great, though. The music in the game is even better than what I was expecting (which was a lot), particularly when the subtle choir comes in. I'm a sucker for choirs. Oh man.

Also, Coach Oleander. Best. Character. Ever.

I was toying with the idea of avoiding all potential spoilers, but with a few months still to wait, I gave in and watched the intro movie from Razputin.net (thanks Thrik!).

I've seen some of the game in action already, but this story stuff is the first big chunk of new Schafer dialogue that's been out there in a while, and it had me throughly amused, and unbearably excited to get my hands on the game. It's such a neat cut-scene, not wasting any time setting up the concept, whilst still being very funny. Fantastic animation too.

Is it me or does that weird scientist guy in the Psychonauts trailer sound exactly the same as Ed Edison in DOTT?

--Erwin

Is it me or does that weird scientist guy in the Psychonauts trailer sound exactly the same as Ed Edison in DOTT?
It is the same actor. But it's not EXACTLY the same voice.

--Erwin

Nick Jameson voices Dr. Loboto and Dr. Fred (and Max of Sam & Max Hit the Road fame), Tim mentioned that on DF Action News at one point I think. I heard the person who voiced Nurse Edna in DOTT also has a role opposite Dr. Loboto in Psychonauts, but I've got no clue what that's about detail-wise.

edit - oops deadworm beat me to it, by a lot. how did I miss that post? well anyway yep.

It's such a neat cut-scene, not wasting any time setting up the concept, whilst still being very funny. Fantastic animation too.

That's pretty classic Schafer-opening-cutscene style isn't it? Grim and Full Throttle both open up by slapping you in right at the best moment for the story to get in gear as well. No time is wasted really. That's sort of the opposite of games like The Longest Journey, which have about 8 hours of playable introduction before you are actually in a position to care about whats going on...

I played the old and new intro side to side, and in sync, and it looks like they've been tweaking some things here and there... like the fire looks a lot better now, and raz pops out his head from the overhead view a lot earlier on the new version.

Coach Oleander sounds a lot like Glottis, and Dr. Loboto is definitely Dr. Fred Edison... and the music (from the screensaver/trailer) reminds me of like Beetlejuice (I think) meets Day of The Tentacle with the jazzy style of Grim Fandango.

The introduction is great... as I've been reading, it is right that Tim Schafer just puts you right in the middle of the conflict. I still remember when I played Full Throttle (first LEC game I actually owned) and man... it might have burned out my old vga card, but it was awesome!

if anyone compares the excellent game psychonauts to harry potter again then they will personally get a fist in the face from me..

that is all :mrt::ratched:

"Our game is like Harry Potter, but with a lot more jokes about suicide, incest, and squirrel killing" -- Tim Schafer

:shifty:

A new preview at IGN.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/593/593839p1.html

Having now played the first six hours of Pyschonauts, it's going to be difficult to wait another few weeks to play the rest. So far it's lived up to the hype that was heaped upon Schafer's game back in 2002. Why did Microsoft drop this game? Who cares, it's out of their hands but will soon be in yours. Shipping in mid-April for Xbox, PS2 and PC, Psychonauts should give you something to enjoy during April showers. I, for one, can't wait.

"Our game is like Harry Potter, but with a lot more jokes about suicide, incest, and squirrel killing" -- Tim Schafer

:shifty:

That article is great, very interesting with Schafer's musings on game design on PCs/consoles, text and graphic adventures etc. Also very funny. A lot of the Psychonauts articles are just repeating the same information at the moment, but that one's worth the read.