Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Smoking

Just for the heck of it, I smoked a cigarette today. Jesus fucking Christ. How do people get addicted to these things? Even if you only start getting addicted after a couple, surely smoking even one is enough to put you off FOREVER? They are disgusting. I knew it was gonna be gross, but man, I nearly coughed my lungs up. It was like billions of tiny little people, hacking away at my throat. And it burned. Just so I can say I did, I smoked the whole friggin' thing and it was hugely unpleasant. I am still not breathing properly. And maybe you get used to it after a while, but I could feel it killing my lungs. It's like inhaling a lungful of SMOKE. In fact, that's exactly what it IS. If you like nicotine, why not just get nicotine patches in the first place and skip the smoking bit? I must have looked the exact opposite of sexy, standing there choking and spluttering with smoke pouring out of my nose and mouth, and probably even my eyes.

Who here smokes, and why?!

Deadworm, take a cigarette and smoke it, if just for the experience. It's awful. It's really, really awful. Christ, is it awful. You can't even IMAGINE how awful it is until you try it.

Guhhhhh.

And I mean, I have never liked smoking, but I used to find the smell of cigarette smoke sweet and soothing because my parents used to smoke. Man, it tastes like a mouthful of coal dust.

DJALKDGadg.a

yeah, i hated smoking and was never into it but then when i was around 16 i tried a rolly.

i've never looked back.

they're a fair bit cheaper and reputedly don't have as many chemicals and stuff, in fact, they're good for you if you do it properly.

fact.

What's a rolly?

Now I can make twice as much fun at people who smoke, because it doesn't even feel/taste nice.

a roll-your own. handmade cigarette. you get gummed papers and tobacco and make a cigarette. pronounced: row-lee

I would be the quintessential antismoker who's always up for heaving a warning finger in the air in trembling fashion. I'll be damned if I ever smoke even one cigarette.

yeah, i hated smoking and was never into it but then when i was around 16 i tried a rolly.

i've never looked back.

they're a fair bit cheaper and reputedly don't have as many chemicals and stuff, in fact, they're good for you if you do it properly.

fact.

HAHAAHAAAAA yeah and being run over by a JUMBOJET is - fact - good for you... :shifty:

Sorry.... :grin:

Well I smoke...

Deadworm, take a cigarette and smoke it, if just for the experience. It's awful. It's really, really awful. Christ, is it awful. You can't even IMAGINE how awful it is until you try it.
Actually I'd rather not, because my brother is a smoker. There's probably genetic tendency in my family to start smoking. Or maybe not, but I don't want to take that risk....

On the other hand, I must admit that I did consider smoking once, when I became of age. "Now that I'm allowed to do it legally, why not try it?" I chickened out though, and I must say that I'm glad.

HAHAAHAAAAA yeah and being run over by a JUMBOJET is - fact - good for you... :shifty:

Sorry.... :grin:

Well I smoke...

well i was joking really, but smoking actually helps prevent arthritis, so if you survive the lung cancer, you're less likely to break a leg from tripping over a curb.

well i was joking really, but smoking actually helps prevent arthritis, so if you survive the lung cancer, you're less likely to break a leg from tripping over a curb.
Ok, that is just fucking ridiculous.

I've never smoked, nor have I ever had the inclination to try.

I smoke. I managed to quit once for 6 months. After 3 months or so I didn't really have a constant desire for it any more, but then one day I decided to try one because after you haven't smoked for a while it feels especially good. I thought I was over it and one wouldn't hurt me. And then the next week I did one more and pretty soon I was smoking again.

Now I'm planning to quit for good, but I'm waiting for the right time -- it's not easy (well it is for some people, I don't know how they do it) and when I managed to quit for the 6 months it was because I was hanging out a lot with some friends who weren't smokers.

I have never had a problem quitting things or anything, and I think that runs in my family because a lot of people in my family have just stopped doing things in the past. My Mom and a lot of my aunts just stopped smoking one day. So I can never understand people that say they tried to give up smoking. I mean, especially in Ireland, where

a) the cost of a packet of cigarettes is like E6.50 ($7?)

B) it's illegal to smoke in public places (indoors) and

c) the weather is always too bad to smoke outside in comfort

So that, with the added health risks and the sheer yuckiness of smoking... how do people do it? It makes furniture and clothes smell icky, too. How can you accidentally 'slip' back in to smoking after you give up?

Myself and a group of friends decided to stop drinking coke one day, and instead buy water. I managed it fine, and so did one other guy, but the rest all 'broke down' and bought coke. Coke isn't even addictive. WTF?

Well, I just stopped too. It was a favorable situation that hepled me. But nicotine is physically addictive, plus there's that mental addiction. The first month was pretty tough.

I cannot hear anything about smoking without thinking of the subliminal cigarette ad gag I saw on some show. It was a scene from Lassie with occasional cuts to a guy just moaning out smoooookkkkkeeeee. I have a friend who smokes and whenever he talks about it he does that joke.

that's from family guy, the episode is called mr. griffin goes to washington, if i remember correctly... i smoke and i think it's all about the people i am around. if you're the only guy smoking, it's a lot easier to quit. but if you have friends who smoke... well. so if i had to give any advice, it would be to avoid other smokers and stay busy. if you are really busy you just don't have time to even think about smoking. for me the decision is always wether or not to go out and buy cigarettes... by being lazy i can actually avoid smoking more than 2 cigarettes per day on average, which i still think is ok ;)

Myself and a group of friends decided to stop drinking coke one day, and instead buy water.
Instead of drinking I read smoking and was freaked out for a brief second...

Myself and a group of friends decided to stop drinking coke one day, and instead buy water.

Hehe, for a moment I thought she meant the white kind of coke.

--Erwin

Myself and a group of friends decided to stop drinking coke one day, and instead buy water. I managed it fine, and so did one other guy, but the rest all 'broke down' and bought coke. Coke isn't even addictive. WTF?

Well, technically, the added caffeine in soda can be addictive, it's just a far less powerful addiction than that of nicotine.

my dad had cancer because of cigarettes. He had a real hard time quitting it afterwards.

but chances are, as long as you don't drink milk, you won't get cancer from smoking.

but chances are, as long as you don't drink milk, you won't get cancer from smoking.
Where the hell do you pick this shit up?!

Okay, here's what I don't get though. Why do you continue to smoke? After a while, do you just stop spluttering and choking every time you inhale? Or what?