Erwin_Br

Cartoon Network VS Nickelodeon

Cartoon Network VS Nickelodeon  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Cartoon Network VS Nickelodeon

• Cartoon Network
    • Nickelodeon
    • None of the above

Do you watch cartoons? I used to, when Cartoon Network was still on. I'd watch it during breakfast, or dinner, or when I was bored and late at night when I couldn't sleep.

Anyway. We don't have Cartoon Network anymore. The cable company dumped it, and now we got Nickelodeon instead.

I like Cartoon Network much better.

How about you?

--Erwin

I don't know actually. From an overall perspective the Cartoon Network shows were closer to me. But then again, Nick had Zim. But then again, Zim was very much Jhonen's work, not Nick's. And Nick canned it. So I guess I don't really have a preference.

Cartoon Network plays the same fucking movies over and over and over and over again, whereas Nick has that retarded show about the girl with blonde hair. They're both atrocious.

In Finland we do not have shows from Planet X, also known as Niburu... or is that Nibiru? Can someone in the know confirm?

When Nick canned Invader Zim, Cartoon Network wanted to buy it, show it on Adult Swim at night, but also make new episodes. Nickelodeon didn't want to hear about it; they just froze the franchise, like that studio head fellow at the end of Barton Fink (look the movie up on imdb if you are so inclined).

In general, though, I felt that Cartoon Network has and had more intellectual and experimental content (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, Venture Brothers, Futurama albeit adopted) than Nickelodeon (Spongebob Squarepants comes to mind... and that is that).

I remember a certain feature on Cartoon Network, in which they showed short cartoons from unknown, aspiring animators/studios. I don't remember the name of this feature, but I do remember that the very first episode of Dexters Laboratory was shown in that program. Must've been 8 years ago. Maybe even longer.

--Erwin

I haven't watched either network in years, but I basically agree with what Kingz said. Nickelodeon has always seemed frustratingly loud and obnoxious. With Cartoon Network, one of the only minuses I can think of is they tend to censor stuff. I'm pretty sure they censored Futurama every now and then.

I haven't had cable for 5 years or so. Then I had Cartoon Network. Dexter and Powerpuff were cool (the latter less), I hated most of the others. Oh, and they show that horrible Spongebob Squarepants in the mornings (or used to). The name sounds lots of worse in Estonian. Käsna-Kalle Kantpüks. It makes me want to puke.

It sucks that

a) we don't have Cartoon Network here anymore

B) as a result, we also don't have Adult Swim, and din't have it back when Cartoon Network was still on the cable anyway (it switched to Turner Classic Movies around that time of the day :shifty: )

Erwin: I remember that show too. It might have been a collection of pilot episodes? I recall multiple segments from that show spinning off into shows of their own, including Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo and the one with that dog and the grampa and grandma.

Maybe the Cartoon Network I recieved over here was slightly different. Maybe the Cartoon Network you guys get doesn't repeat the same fucking show over and over and over and over again. And the movies, oh god, the movies. If I see All dogs go to heaven EVER AGAIN, I will go on a murder spree, targetting primarily dogs but also little girls.

Marek, the show you're thinking of is Courage, the Cowardly Dog?

Erwin: I remember that show too. It might have been a collection of pilot episodes? I recall multiple segments from that show spinning off into shows of their own, including Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo and the one with that dog and the grampa and grandma.

I'm not sure if it was just a collection of pilot episodes. I'm pretty sure these cartoons came from, then independent, animators or animation studios. The majority of the cartoons on that show didn't get continued into a series or spinoff.

Doesn't Cartoon Network have an in-house studio, by the way? I believe Dexter, Johnny, Cow & Chicken and Powerpuff are from 'Cartoon Network Studios'.

--Erwin

we also don't have Adult Swim, and din't have it back when Cartoon Network was still on the cable anyway (it switched to Turner Classic Movies around that time of the day :shifty: )
I remember that! Same thing would happen in Serbia. Shitty thing that.

Cartoon Network, easily. Adult Swim is incredible and if they got rid of the anime on it, Adult Swim would be the greatest thing ever. In fact, Cartoon Network wins just because they have Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Nickeloadeon just shows annoying crap. And since we're on the topic of television channels, why has Comedy Central decided to show Mad TV non stop? It's probably the crappiest show ever yet every time I turn to Comedy Central, it's on. I mean, they could have shows like SNL, Reno 911, or Chapelle, but instead they decide to show Mad TV.

Nickelodeon doesn't really register with me anymore, I've not been aware of anything on there for years, but I can't remember it ever impressing me a lot even when I knew the TV guide by heart.

Cartoon Network is often worth watching though. Home Movies is probably my pick of their Adult Swim lineup (besides the untouchable Futurama, which they have now).

Yeah, and later on they got localized too. That was really shitty, because I abolutely hate dubbing, and I heard the same Dutch actors voicing in all the different cartoons.

We had digital TV for a while, though. So I could watch the American one.

--Erwin

Doesn't Cartoon Network have an in-house studio, by the way? I believe Dexter, Johnny, Cow & Chicken and Powerpuff are from 'Cartoon Network Studios'.

--Erwin

Genndy Tartakovsky came up through cartoon network and, with some of the other guys there, reinvigorated cartoons with his work on dexter, samurai jack, powerpuffs, and then the clone wars for lucas. as always happens, the company has since become bloated, old, grey, and bereft of any creativity.

Genndy Tartakovsky came up through cartoon network and, with some of the other guys there, reinvigorated cartoons with his work on dexter, samurai jack, powerpuffs, and then the clone wars for lucas. as always happens, the company has since become bloated, old, grey, and bereft of any creativity.

What about Williams Street though? They have a bunch of original cartoons which are anything but conventional.

EDIT: Williams Street is the studio that does the Adult Swim cartoons on Cartoon Network

Yufster, if you don't like cute dogmovies like All dogs go to Heaven, you should see The Plaguedogs. That's one mighty depressing animated movie about rabied dogs. It makes Requiem for a Dream seem like a fluffy romcom.

Cartoon Network brought us Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Sealab 2021.

Nickelodeon brought us Sabrina the Fucking Teenage Fucking Witch

Advantage : Cartoon Network

Argh, Nick is not even 25-7 here... At about 20:00 the channel turns into Paramount Comedy Channel...

We do have Cartoon Network and Even Boomerang, but both are different from the US Channel, CN doesn't have Adult Swim, and Boomerang has old toons that were aired in Spain in my youth, but we don't get Super Friends or whatever they were called....

Anyway, I still prefer Cartoon Network, although I almost never watch either channel... :mock:

Nickelodeon brought us Sabrina the Fucking Teenage Fucking Witch

Yesterday, Network 2 played an episode of Sabrina where she and her boyfriend ordered 'Tsunami Cocktails', that splashed over their faces when they went to take a drink.

Of the billion other episodes of Sabrina, they chose the one with the Tsunami joke. It was hilarious. This country is so fucking moronic.

Oh, Cow & Chicken and Two Stupid dogs were also great.

"Well ain't that cute... but it's WRONG!"

I love that phrase... it has so many applications in everyday life.

Momma had a chicken!

Momma had a cow!

Dad was proud!

He didn't care how!

Opening theme to Cow and Chicken is the best opening theme to anything ever, anywhere, at any time.