Spaff

Giveaway 2005: Who dunnit?

Heyyy.... I know you... do I? Story Engine dude?

yep. come to my gig in The Mezz in town tomorrow!

mustard revolver kitchen mayhaps?

how sad is this?

You knwo the best part of that is that it says I chose lounge as the murder weapon.

damn. now i have to go back and fix it. not.

Cohen seems curiously unmoved by the storm raging around him. "With BitTorrent, the cat's out of the bag," he shrugs. He doesn't want to talk about piracy and the future of media, and at first I think he's avoiding the subject because it's so legally sensitive. But after a while, I realize it simply doesn't interest him much.

He'd rather just work on his code. He'd rather buckle down and figure out new ways to make BitTorrent more efficient. He'd rather focus on something that demands crazy, hair-pulling logic. In his office, he roots through his bin of twisting puzzles and pulls out CrossTeaser, an interlocking series of colored x's that you have to orient until their colors line up. "This is one of the hardest I've ever tried, " he says. "It took me, like, a couple of days to solve it."

Cohen has even started sketching out ideas for his own puzzles. He dreams of making enough money to buy a 3-D prototyping machine and retire. Now that, he figures, would be a fun life: Sitting at home and designing stuff so fiendishly hard almost no one can figure it out. We know his philosophy of what makes a good game; he's got a theory of the perfect puzzle, too.

"The ideal," he says, "is that you appear to be near the end - you've got almost all the colors lined up, and you think it's nearly solved. But it isn't. And you realize that to get that last color in place, you're going to have to do something that jumbles it up all over again."

Sounds like the puzzle he's created for the television and film industries.

i just read this on slashdot, and for some reason, i had, like, a spiritual sort of feeling from it. Bram Cohen thinks he could get his code from god, and is mildly autistic.

i had a brief period in my life a while ago, where i thought i was god, and when i later brought it up, some friends told me that 'everybody gets that'.

anyhow, the idea (i'll just inject it in here) that god is in fact an all-powerful storyteller, or a programmer, or a gardener, or a mystical combination of all three, and every one of us takes their 'turn' at acting as god's avatar is one that brings me to my point:

i'm a fuckin idiot.

How much is it in? And where is The Mezz? I thought that was in Dublin. Man, that is not 'in town'. I thought you were gonna say The Forum or something. Can you do a spanking rendition of a song I like?

By the way, I would have liked your story engine very much, I actually did explore it. But it made me cry, because I couldn't figure out what to do. Just like the way pretty much everything ever ends for me.

I think that...

Miss Scarlet unashamedly raped and killed everybody with her trusty, albeit rusty

Spanner, whilst cartwheeling down the

Hall, much to the delight of the janitor, who was watchingfrom the shadows, peeping Tom that he is.

mustard revolver kitchen mayhaps?

how sad is this?

I did some counting too:

Colonel Mustard		6
Miss Scarlett		3
Professor Plum		5
Mrs. Peacock		4
Reverend Green		10
Mrs. White		4
Chancellor Bronstring	6

Spanner			9
Candlestick		3
Dagger			9
Lead Piping		9
Revolver		5
Rope			6
Comic Sans MS		2

Conservatory		4
Billiard Room		4
Library			6
Study			6
Ballroom		3
Kitchen			4
Dining Room		2
Lounge			4
Hall			1
Idle Forums		4

By the looks of this list we think the library and study would be dripping red with blood and body parts and a huge stack of dripping spanners, daggers and lead pipings in the room. And in the middle of all this mess is the madly grinning reverend Green believing he's the inquisition.

I'm going with the reverend 'you never expect the inquisition' Green in the Study with Comic Sans MS

OK thats the end of Round 3...

those stat counting folks... hahaha you are hilarious!! Maybe I can use those stats to give some hints later on.

To the prizes i'lll throw in some random crap I have around here that isn't very exciting and try and find mixnmojo prize leftovers. I've got a PS2 Dualshock controller that has fans inside it to stop sweaty hands preventing skillz, some Dragon Ball Z game for GBA and errm I'll find some more 'random crap' soon :)

Also we can give do stupid things like, 'should you win we can make everyones avatar a picture of you for a day' or something ¬¬ we can work that out later.

ENOUGH!

Let battle commence in ROUND 4!!!!

Man, that's gross. Who gets sweaty hands playing the PS2?!

Alright, I guess Scarlett... in the study, with an AXE!!!!

While nobody is looking, I'm going to sneakily edit my post and say Scarlett did it, in the Library, with the Lead Piping. Tactical OUT! As well as that, I am smearing the track with oil, and I've taken to tripping people up.

I didn't. I said dagger while you wanted poor Scarlett to try to kill someone with a deodorant! Maybe it's possible, have never tried it. :shifty:

Anyway, I'm out of here on Monday for six months so you can take those prizes and shove them... have fun while I'm crawling around in the Finnish dirt.

EDIT: Besides I'm using a very special technique to get the right answer. So far it has been working like a charm.

AXE is not a deodorant, you dumb head. AXE is a big chopping weapon used a lot to attack people or sometimes by woodcutters in fairytales to cut down trees. Quit being dumb already. AHHHHH.